Ole Miss | Syracusefan.com

Ole Miss

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Quick scouting report:

They mostly play with 4 guards and a center.

Their leading scorer is 6'2 Deandre Burnett, a SG from Miami who transferred in from UM. Good outside shooter (about 39% from the 3 point circle), good athlete. Averaged 16.7 ppg. His brother is FSU RB Dalvin Cook.

The big guy is Sebastian Saiz, a 6'9, 240 lb Spaniard, who averaged 15.1 ppg and 11.2 rpg. One of the best rebounders in the country and 1st team all SEC.

They have another good outside shooter in 6'4 Cullen Neal, who is shooting 40.8% from the 3 point circle. He is averaginf 9.1 ppg. 6'4 Terence Davis is averaging 14.4 ppg, really good athlete.

They play a lot of people. Good team offensively, poor on defense.

This game looks like it could be very high scoring and entertaining to watch.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/ole/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2016-17/stats/season_stats.pdf

Last edited:
Have to hope that a team like this finds it a little more challenging to score against the zone.

Or at least, that's how it works most years...

I predict that #50 Justas Furmanavicius who shoots 26% from 3 (8-31) will make 5 against the zone.
It looks like he plays more like Kristof than Marius.

But if only to hear Mr Excitement have to say that name a lot, it might be worth seeing him fire off some Baltic fireworks.

They will be a handful. Have beaten some good teams - Memphis, Saint Joes, Montana. Lost to Baylor (ranked #5) by 3 and Florida by 7.

Everyone is up for the #1 seed.

They're going to be a handful and probably one of the better teams in the entire NIT field. They're definitely better than Cal, for example, so them getting the 5 seed in our bracket is a bit of a surprise to say the least. They lead the country in FT's made and attempted, so they attack and can pile up the easy points. I hope we don't send them to the line as much as they're used to.

Saiz and Burnett are very good, and they have a couple of other solid offensive players. They can score, but really don't defend well. We need to attack them instead of laying back for 20 seconds in the half court.

I don't know how the 11AM start will impact either team, but I'd guess we'll start out sluggish.

They will be a handful. Have beaten some good teams - Memphis, Saint Joes, Montana. Lost to Baylor (ranked #5) by 3 and Florida by 7.

Everyone is up for the #1 seed.

Absolutely! Not to mention playing Syracuse (any year for that matter) is the opponent's Super Bowl. ;):)

It looks like he plays more like Kristof than Marius.

But if only to hear Mr Excitement have to say that name a lot, it might be worth seeing him fire off some Baltic fireworks.
Mr. Excitement wasn't there last night. It was the FM football guy.

Quick scouting report:

Their leading scorer is 6'2 Deandre Burnett, a SD from Miami who transferred in from UM. Good outside shooter (about 39% from the 3 point circle), good athlete. Averaged 16.7 ppg. His brother is FSU RB Dalvin Cook.

The big guy is Sebastian Saiz, a 6'9, 240 lb Spaniard, who averaged 15.1 ppg and 11.2 rpg. One of the best rebounders in the country and 1st team all SEC.

They have another good outside shooter in 6'4 Cullen Neal, who is shooting 40.8% from the 3 point circle. He is averaginf 9.1 ppg. 6'4 Terence Davis is averaging 14.4 ppg, really good athlete.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/ole/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2016-17/stats/season_stats.pdf

I didn't care about the NIT before. Now I do. I want to win it all just to have some momentum. Get Battle some more games under his belt.

Thanks for the report.

I have lived in Memphis for 6 years and one of my good friends is an Ole Miss alum, so I see a lot of Ole Miss games. Burnett is a streaky scorer but tends to disappear at times. Saiz is their best player but I'm not sure how he will fare against the zone. He can hit the mid range jump shot but I can't say he is a great passer. He attempts 3s a couple of times a game and can make them occasionally. Terrance Davis is a good wing that can do a little of everything. He came on strong at the end of the SEC season. Cullen Neal has started to lose some of his playing time to a freshman guard from NJ named Breein Tyree (yes he is related to David Tyree) but Tyree has not been that impressive in the games I have seen. I would play Neal more, but that's just me. Furmanivucius (sp)? is an energy guy and good rebounder. Andy Kennedy makes some really strange coaching decisions that work sometimes and back fire often. They play a lot of 1-3-1 zone with a taller player up at the top of the zone trying to create some havoc. I have a feeling that Burnett could have a huge game against the zone. He likes to shoot standing still instead of off the dribble, so the kick outs from the middle could be right up his alley. Hope I'm wrong, this game will be for bragging rights for me against all the Ole Miss grads down here.

Mr. Excitement wasn't there last night. It was the FM football guy.

That wasn't the NIT's own announcer?

That's weird.

On the other hand, it explains why he repeatedly said "NIT Tournament" - it seemed strange that their in-house guy would make that mistake.

That wasn't the NIT's own announcer?

That's weird.

On the other hand, it explains why he repeatedly said "NIT Tournament" - it seemed strange that their in-house guy would make that mistake.
No. The guy who did the public address last night does the public address for FM football. I've heard him at SU womens games from time to time as well. I guess saying NIT Tournament is like saying ATM Machine.

No. The guy who did the public address last night does the public address for FM football. I've heard him at SU womens games from time to time as well. I guess saying NIT Tournament is like saying ATM Machine.

Interesting, wonder where they stashed Mr. Excitement for the evening. I kind of enjoyed the long silences last night.

Interesting, wonder where they stashed Mr. Excitement for the evening. I kind of enjoyed the long silences last night.
He may be on vacation being that it is spring break and all.

Quick scouting report:

Their leading scorer is 6'2 Deandre Burnett, a SD from Miami who transferred in from UM. Good outside shooter (about 39% from the 3 point circle), good athlete. Averaged 16.7 ppg. His brother is FSU RB Dalvin Cook.

We're going to have to play better than the way we did Wednesday.

Expect to see a lot of Lydon at center then with Robey at the 4.

Have to hope that a team like this finds it a little more challenging to score against the zone.

Or at least, that's how it works most years...
They played Baylor who also plays exclusively 2-3 zone and only lost by 3 scoring 75 points. So looks like they can score against a zone.

We'll go as far as White and Battle's shooting take us. If either has an off shooting game, we're in trouble.

Sounds like what people said last year after MTSU rolled Michigan State.

Not suggesting that you're wrong, hope we rise to the occasion.

Haven't seen them play, but that Spaniard sounds like a nightmare for us. How are they a 5 seed? It's the NIT, but we got a tough draw really.