Ole' Timer Misses The Good Ole' Days! | Syracusefan.com

Ole' Timer Misses The Good Ole' Days!

Longtimesu

Scout Team
For those of us who have been fortunate enough to watch SU basketball teams in the 70’s, 80’s and the 90’s we were used to watching SU run teams out of Manley and the Dome. We would score 100 pts in a few games each season. We were consistently in the high 70’s in pts, and the 80’s, and a few 90's. Unfortunately, for those of us old enough to remember those times, we have now seen a consistent drop off in fast break pts, and a running style game, to a more conservative half court set. And re: the half court game we now play, some posters say things like;

“We need to slow down to force other teams to take less shots.” Or,
“Our offense hasn’t changed much in the last few years. It’s the defense and the zone that‘s the problem.”

Well, for an old timer like me, I’d like to see SU go back to the old style run game. Yes you can run when you play a zone. We did that for years, very successfully.

I've read over and over on this forum that in order to run a fast break SU needs certain things in place

Yes we need pt guards to run the fast break. Well, we had pt guards for years.
Yes we need rebounders to get the ball out on missed shots. We had rebounders for years also. As a matter of fact, I think we had these pluses this year, last year, and the year before as well.
And yes, we need a coach who likes to run the fast break. Again, we did have a coach who for years would let SU get out and run. The 70's, 80's and 90's era is the proof of that.

I would just like to know where JB went, and why he took our offense with him.

Yes it was high flying fun basketball. But those SU teams could only play one speed. Every time an opponent slowed the game down and beat us in a low scoring half court game Jimmy would whine after the game, "they didn't want to run with us". IMO after the Vermont loss, JB decided to change things because you just can't speed up an opponent (unless you're Louisville and Jimmy isn't going to full court pressure m-2-m). So we have become a half court team that can win slow games.

Yes it was high flying fun basketball. But those SU teams could only play one speed. Every time an opponent slowed the game down and beat us in a low scoring half court game Jimmy would whine after the game, "they didn't want to run with us". IMO after the Vermont loss, JB decided to change things because you just can't speed up an opponent (unless you're Louisville and Jimmy isn't going to full court pressure m-2-m). So we have become a half court team that can win slow games.
I agree with what you said. But we did win lots of games, and as you stated, "after the Vermont loss, JB decided to change things." And to my point, Jimmy seems to have moved away, and he took the offense with him. JB, don't try and fix things that ain't broken.

yeah, I agree w/ you but whats a guy gonna do? he's been roundly critisized no matter what style he plays.

honestly, I'm starting to sour on cbb as a whole. 51-49, 49-47, etc. Fans get irritated now, glad alot of them didn't get to see the 4 corners genious of smith @ north carolina

Not sure why the 90's are included in there.

In 11 seasons from 89-90 to 99-00 (encompassing the entire decade) in 356 games Syracuse was 258-98 (.725).

In the last 11 seasons (03-04 to 13-14) in 382 games we are 295-87 (.772). So while we might not be as high flying as in the 90's we're certainly winning a lot more.

Also, the 2010 and 2012 teams could score. Even this team put up some decent numbers early and looked strong offensively before everything stopped working.

honestly, I'm starting to sour on cbb as a whole. 51-49, 49-47, etc. Fans get irritated now, glad alot of them didn't get to see the 4 corners genious of smith @ north carolina

I think there's a bit of a difference between the four corners Dean Smith ran to run clock as opposed to the 40s and 50s of today, which is caused by too many teams that just can't shoot. Just as an example, Cincy, Pitt, and OSU, all played "tough (or even 'hardnosed')" defense, all rebounded, but none of them could put the ball in the ocean, and all three were out after a total of one game. I greatly dislike SU's zone and the scores of their games. Hate them. Much, MUCH preferred a team that set out to score 80ppg. But I understand why they play this way. If kids can't shoot or pass, and to them the game is either a highlight dunk or 3-10 from deep and 41% overall, why not play a defense that makes them shoot or pass. It just makes for a truly ugly style of game, and it really sucks to watch. I like how Kansas plays, but despite their averaging 80ppg and shooting just under 50% for the year, their fanbase can't be much happier than SU's right now. How'd they lose? 60-57, in a game they couldn't put the ball in the ocean either.

Kev

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom