Olympics- favorite events/sports & weirdest | Syracusefan.com

Olympics- favorite events/sports & weirdest

Toga

Living Legend
My favorite event continues to be the Men's 200 meter. All out extended speed.
Team relays in swimming are a good watch.
Team volleyball is also fun to watch. More so than 2 person beach volleyball.
For a wacky sport I kind of like to watch badminton. (well OK not for a whole match)

As far as What sports;

Do we really need diving pairs? Seems like an individual sport to me - not that there's anything wrong with it.
Walking. Would love to see someone say F it and just start running.
Men's field hockey. This is a thing?
Synchronized swimming. It's lovely but if I want to see something like this I'll catch the Chinese acrobats on tour or watch a rerun of Jackie Gleason show.

Yours?

Last edited:
I used to be big into the olympics, to be honest I have kind of lost interest, other than Bball, and some of the swimming.

My favorite event continues to be the Men's 200 meter. All out extended speed.
Team relays in swimming are a good watch.
Team volleyball is also fun to watch. More so than 2 person beach volleyball.
For a wacky sport I kind of like to watch badminton. (well OK not for a whole match)

As far as What sports;

Do we really need diving pairs? Seems like an individual sport to me - not that there's anything wrong with it.
Walking. Would love to see someone say F it and just start running.
Men's field hockey. This is a thing?
Synchronized swimming. It's lovely but if I want to see something like this I'll catch the Chinese acrobats on tour or watch a rerun of Jackie Gleason show.

Yours?

Must-See

100, 200, 400, 4 x 100 Relay

Enjoy watching:

Swimming, Remainder of Track Events, Remainder of Alpine skiing, Beach Volleyball, Indoor Volleyball, Basketball, Soccer, Hockey, Gymnastics, Cycling road races, Speed Skating (Big track), Bobsled and Luge...

Must see: Women's Gymnastics
and then I watch just about everything else as time permits. Not a fan of how they did it this year. They had the women's gymnastics on tape delay and didn't play it until after 10pm each night. There are so many little girls that want to watch it that can't.

orangefog said:
Must see: Women's Gymnastics and then I watch just about everything else as time permits. Not a fan of how they did it this year. They had the women's gymnastics on tape delay and didn't play it until after 10pm each night. There are so many little girls that want to watch it that can't.
Or, like us, you just say f it, it's summer vacation and it's the olympics. It's been worth it, as my daughter was in gymnastics, my son has really grown by a mile in the pool in the last two weeks, but they are little miserable s in the morning!

Talk about weirdest, looks like the Mongolian wrestling coaches way outdid JB. They went way further than just a coat

Talk about weirdest, looks like the Mongolian wrestling coaches way outdid JB. They went way further than just a coat

66632872.png

I'll watch the end of distance races, like marathon - watching the entire race does nothing for me. I will watch almost any event - except synchronized swimming and pairs diving. HTH are these Olympic sports and lacrosse and baseball aren't? :bang:

I know, baseball will return in 2020.

There is no reason that curling could not be part of the summer games. It is not like they have to be out on a frozen lake.
Give the people what they want.

I have to say this. Nothing with a subjective scoring system can be called a sport. It should be a non-medal competition. I know that eliminates the only two things that big-haired women in Texas watch in the Olympics, gymnastics and figure skating What's the difference between a 9.7 and an 9.8 in the vault or on the rings? Synchronized diving? Really? Before you talk about how much athleticism the subjective competitions require, look at the builds on the dancers in the various big name ballet and modern dance troupes. They're just as good as any gymnasts. We don't have Olympic medal competitions for them.

The saddest thing is that the modern pentathlon is always on the chopping block. The final event is running combined with shooting. The more points you earn in the other events gives you a bigger head start in the run and the first one across the finish line wins the gold medal.

I have to say this. Nothing with a subjective scoring system can be called a sport. It should be a non-medal competition. I know that eliminates the only two things that big-haired women in Texas watch in the Olympics, gymnastics and figure skating What's the difference between a 9.7 and an 9.8 in the vault or on the rings? Synchronized diving? Really? Before you talk about how much athleticism the subjective competitions require, look at the builds on the dancers in the various big name ballet and modern dance troupes. They're just as good as any gymnasts. We don't have Olympic medal competitions for them.

The saddest thing is that the modern pentathlon is always on the chopping block. The final event is running combined with shooting. The more points you earn in the other events gives you a bigger head start in the run and the first one across the finish line wins the gold medal.
Usually the scoring is fairly consistent and accurate. I'm not sure how much more subjective they are compared to calling balls and strikes in baseball.

Usually the scoring is fairly consistent and accurate. I'm not sure how much more subjective they are compared to calling balls and strikes in baseball.
Just about every sport has some aspect of subjective officiating, but not subjective scoring. A touchdown the 1st Q is worth 6 points, not 5.7 ("Because we can't give out top scores to the Liechtensteins at the start of the day, when the Chinas and US are up later in the day in primetime otherwise we'll have to give them 11s and 12s"). Run back the opening kickoff, it's 6 points. Throw a TD pass in the 8th overtime, it's still 6 points. The fact that you need judge-level expertise to tell who's won is a big indicator you're not a sport. Even when they have to go to a photo finish in any sort of racing, it's still an objective determination of the winner.

Just about every sport has some aspect of subjective officiating, but not subjective scoring. A touchdown the 1st Q is worth 6 points, not 5.7 ("Because we can't give out top scores to the Liechtensteins at the start of the day, when the Chinas and US are up later in the day in primetime otherwise we'll have to give them 11s and 12s"). Run back the opening kickoff, it's 6 points. Throw a TD pass in the 8th overtime, it's still 6 points. The fact that you need judge-level expertise to tell who's won is a big indicator you're not a sport. Even when they have to go to a photo finish in any sort of racing, it's still an objective determination of the winner.
I don't agree with you at all. Gymnasts compete not so much against eachother but against perfection. There is really nothing more subjective about the scoring system. If you step out on floor, it is a certain deduction. If you don't connect a tumbling series on beam and you don't get the designated bonus. Each gymnasts starts with a maximum score and then every deviation from perfection is a deduction in score. The judges see things that could never see in real time. The only subjectivity is whether they miss a toe point or a bent arm. Just like a bang bang play at first or a ball strike call in baseball can have an ultimate influence on the outcome of a game. Or a penalty call on the outcome of a football game. It is different than team sports, that is certain, but the judging is far from completely subjective. If you like, you could watch and add up points for the skills performed and at the same time you can make deductions for form breaks, just as the judges do, if seeing the running point tally makes it a sport.