Omaha attractions and such | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Omaha attractions and such

I wish this year's Sweet 16 was in Albany and the Final Four was in New Orleans.

Agree with much of this. Have been in Omaha since 90s. The drover is best steakhouse outside of the Prime steakhouses like Chophouse 801 and Mahoganies. Agree with Dinkers but Mattress Factory and Djs are better sports bars and near arena.

Definitely agree on Drover over Cascios I was just thinking steak houses close to downtown. I gave up on DJs a couple seasons ago after I realized the burgers were better and cheaper in the arena than at DJs. Mattress factory will be the place to be though as I drove by today and saw they have the CWS beer garden tents and bud light bar truck in place.

I got a Delta first class round trip from NYC for less than $900 (no coach seats left on the flights I wanted). After my dental misery today, I decided I merited first class. Of course, I won't be able to eat whatever miserable food they may serve. But the drinks are free. And given the miserable weather forecast here (up to 12 inches of snow forecast for Wednesday), the flight will probably be cancelled anyhow. What goes with winter here this year? Today is allegedly the first day of spring.

Less than an hour away is Lincoln. Tons of hot college chicks. You can tell them Red is a part of Orange, and that you'd like to re-enact the creation of the color with them.

My sister was a professor at University of Nebraska-Omaha for many years. My brother-in-law ran one of the first bars in the Old Market back when that area was being rederveloped. Unfortunately, they have moved to Minnesota so no free place to hang the hat. Some excellent recommendations already posted of things to do when you are in town.

The zoo was one of my favorite's. Visitors of a certain age will remember that Mutual of Omaha was the sponsor of Zoo Parade and Wild Kingdom, hosted by St. Louis Zoo director Marlin Perkins (his wrestling match with an anaconda was a personal favorite). Someone might have mentioned it already, but if it is open to visitors a trip to TD Ameritrade Park, site of the College World Series, might be interesting.

Well, never thought this area of pseudo-expertise would come in handy here!

I know the Omaha area fairly well, my spouse grew up there, if anyone is going and needs things to do...(although most of my experiences there also involved kids).

Omaha is a pretty sprawling area with lots of fairly recent construction/development to the west of town.

- The Old Market is a nice area for finding a bar, restaurant or shop. Not sure what kind of hotels are there, but it would be a good base area.
- There's an Aerospace Museum west of town with some cool military/space/plane-related exhibits.
- Probably the wrong time of year for this, but there's botanical gardens, called the Lauritzen Gardens, that are pretty nice
- The Omaha Zoo is good if you are into that sort of thing
- The Josslyn Art museum is nice if you are into that sort of thing
- There's a large former train station that is now a rail museum that is fairly cool, but more for the architecture than the exhibits, at least for me.
- Nebraska Furniture Mart is an interesting weird giant store, sort of like Ikea meets Best Buy.

If anyone needs other info, I can try or ask the better half...

Spent a week there a few years ago for the college baseball world series. I've been playing/watching baseball my whole life and that was the most fun I've ever had at a ball park. Best burger ever. Very friendly people. Liked the new development in the downtown area.

Where is the CUSE gathering place pregame?

Meeting at Blatt Beer & Table at 5pm. Got that and a few other suggestions from this thread available on a mobile map.

iphone: RoadWarriors - Find Your Tailgate on the App Store
android: RoadWarriors - Android Apps on Google Play

56VVPDM.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors