omari palmer morgan and other nyc kids | Syracusefan.com

omari palmer morgan and other nyc kids

kcsu

Living Legend
I have listened to the interviews of Palmer Morgan Williams and Cornelius and i have to say im very impressed. They all come across as extremely articulate and motivated young men. I think that Doug has uncovered a gold mine in NY and that these kids although raw are going to end up being exceptional players for us in a few years. I believe that all of these kids will start within two years and that Palmer has a chance to be one of the best Oline players we have had in years.

For perspective, Doug hasn't done that great Upstate (nothing out of Binghamton area or Buffalo or Albany; only Macky is making any contribution from Central NY). Rochester may be the exception (Ashton Broyld).

Downstate, he has recruited 4 or 5 every year. Downstate guys like Hunt, Sloan, Foy, Kobena, Simmons & Reddish will all be on the 2-deep this year. From the 2010 class, best so far was Bromley (late addition). Best athlete was likely Malcolm Cater (one and done).

Maybe the point is that Doug is getting better quality from Downstate, year over year? And needs to do a better job Upstate.

For perspective, Doug hasn't done that great Upstate (nothing out of Binghamton area or Buffalo or Albany; only Macky is making any contribution from Central NY). Rochester may be the exception (Ashton Broyld).

Downstate, he has recruited 4 or 5 every year. Downstate guys like Hunt, Sloan, Foy, Kobena, Simmons & Reddish will all be on the 2-deep this year. From the 2010 class, best so far was Bromley (late addition). Best athlete was likely Malcolm Cater (one and done).

Maybe the point is that Doug is getting better quality from Downstate, year over year? And needs to do a better job Upstate.

As Captain Tuttle stated in another thread, "Apples and Zebras". (New board meme alert).

Binghamton hasn't produced any real D-1 talent in the last 5 years. Sure, Jordan Thomas went to Rutgers, but that's not really an accomplishment as several kids in this area go to such 1-AA college programs. He seldom played and has transferred to Binghamton U to run track. There are maybe 3-5 prospects in the Binghamton region this year, but to me the only D-1 caliber player is Sorrenti, the LB at Maine-Endwell with his heart set on Penn State from what I gather. So, there's been no one to get up to play at Syracuse.

Albany isn't known for producing many D-1 players, and I know there've been a couple in the last several years, but none of them have been lighting it up in college either, I don't think.

I think it's imperative to be in the hunt for the upstate kids, but it's still a battle- kids want to get away and try something new- which has helped us with GA and FL kids to be sure- and that is hard to overcome. Then there's the long history of divided loyalties. The Binghamton/Elmira area is fairly divided between Penn State, Notre Dame, and Syracuse; and I'd sadly say it's in that order. Buffalo, from living in the area for 6 years struck me as similar but with no clear third place team.

So before Doug, or any other coach, can "do a better job" up here, I think that (A) the program needs to be a bigger attention grabber in these parts and (B)the programs and athletes in this area need to do a better job with development, exposure, and competition.

I think it's imperative to be in the hunt for the upstate kids, but it's still a battle- kids want to get away and try something new- which has helped us with GA and FL kids to be sure- and that is hard to overcome.

Wayne Morgan said as much in his interview with Bleeds Orange on Nation of Orange (Do you like that plug, BO?). He said that Syracuse was far enough away but not too far. Personally, I grew up about a half hour or 40 min from Rutgers, and refused to even consider applying. It was just too close to home. We will always lose kids for this reason.

As Captain Tuttle stated in another thread, "Apples and Zebras". (New board meme alert).

Binghamton hasn't produced any real D-1 talent in the last 5 years. Sure, Jordan Thomas went to Rutgers, but that's not really an accomplishment as several kids in this area go to such 1-AA college programs. He seldom played and has transferred to Binghamton U to run track. There are maybe 3-5 prospects in the Binghamton region this year, but to me the only D-1 caliber player is Sorrenti, the LB at Maine-Endwell with his heart set on Penn State from what I gather. So, there's been no one to get up to play at Syracuse.

Albany isn't known for producing many D-1 players, and I know there've been a couple in the last several years, but none of them have been lighting it up in college either, I don't think.

I think it's imperative to be in the hunt for the upstate kids, but it's still a battle- kids want to get away and try something new- which has helped us with GA and FL kids to be sure- and that is hard to overcome. Then there's the long history of divided loyalties. The Binghamton/Elmira area is fairly divided between Penn State, Notre Dame, and Syracuse; and I'd sadly say it's in that order. Buffalo, from living in the area for 6 years struck me as similar but with no clear third place team.

So before Doug, or any other coach, can "do a better job" up here, I think that (A) the program needs to be a bigger attention grabber in these parts and (B)the programs and athletes in this area need to do a better job with development, exposure, and competition.
Its strange that we struggle with some of these upstate kids, yet downstate LI/NYC they are excited to rep us as the college team of NYC. I know we havent hit on the big guns yet, but weve gotten some really talented players from the metro area it seems.

Its strange that we struggle with some of these upstate kids, yet downstate LI/NYC they are excited to rep us as the college team of NYC. I know we havent hit on the big guns yet, but weve gotten some really talented players from the metro area it seems.

We did get Wayne Morgan, who had huge offers.

We did get Wayne Morgan, who had huge offers.
Yea, Wayne Morgan was a nice pickup absolutely. I was more talking about the Ishaq types. I feel like once we get one of those guys, we will break through and more will follow.

Yea, Wayne Morgan was a nice pickup absolutely. I was more talking about the Ishaq types. I feel like once we get one of those guys, we will break through and more will follow.

He was one player that I'm keen to watch in terms of debunking the value of the star system. Watching his video you just have to shake your head when you see him rated a 3* by Rivals and Scout.

While it is important to get the highest quality kids upstate, the downstate players have simply been better football players, which I think Doug has realized and capitalized on.

No great revelation that Downstate has more prospects and we need our share. Doug has done OK there, but apart from Bromley (and that one year of Cater), it hasn't translated yet. This year could be the break-out year for our Downstate kids.

Sometimes "kids love distance" -- but Rutgers does well in its own backyard; Pitt and PSU attract a lot of the top 33 kids in Pennsylvania; the Florida schools keep most of the best local talent home. Maybe the point is that NYS kids like to go elsewhere?

Upstate has had some good prospects -- we are going to be happy with Broyld; we would have been happy with kids like Jarron Jones, Jahmahl Pardner, Akeel Lynch, Quentin Gauce, Dion Lewis, or this year -- Alex Officer a very good OL prospect in Rochester.

A LOT of Upstate kids do not pan out ... it is very hit or miss -- they either turn out to be NFL caliber or they flame out completely (same could be said for many regions right?)

There is a much bigger pool of talent down state than upstate. All you have to do is look at the score of tomorrows HS All star game and you will know which area has the most talent. It isnt even close. Syracuse is a whole new world for a NYC Kid. Very different yet if they miss home they can be there in 3 hours or so. Doug and JA are from NYC so there connections are there. Sure we will get the occational player from Upstate or Western NY but as a return on effort there is no doubt that we are properly focused.

The upstate squad might not even score tomorrow

According to Wiki the population in the NYC tri-state area is something like 22 million. The population for NY State is something like 19 million with NYC and Long Island and the counties directly to the north of NYC comprising perhaps 55-60% or more of the total NY state population. If recruiting is in any way a numbers game, then focusing on the NYC kids is a must.

The NYC tri-state area is the most populous urban area in the US, and one of the largest in the world which is amazing if you consider the gigantic cities in China and other parts of the world.

The city schools lack the funds and the space to run high school football programs where the kids are developed to the same degree as high schools in other parts of the country. It's not even close to most schools in the South. But the talent exists, and over time SU could become widely known for developing talent from NYC. No one understands this better in my opinion than HCDM for obvious reasons beginning with his childhood home in the Bronx.

;)

521497_10100600967153856_60350303_n.jpg

Most kids and young adults in CNY could care less about SU football. I bet you would find more Texas, Michigan, PSU, OSU, and ND hats arounds here from the youth than SU hats.

Most kids and young adults in CNY could care less about SU football. I bet you would find more Texas, Michigan, PSU, OSU, and ND hats arounds here from the youth than SU hats.

Um...no.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Um...no.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
I'm talking CNY, not just Syracuse. There are definitely more support for big name schools, especially in Utica. The only people wearing SU hats in the Mohawk Valley are 30+

I'm talking CNY, not just Syracuse. There are definitely more support for big name schools, especially in Utica. The only people wearing SU hats in the Mohawk Valley are 30+

I've been in Rome the whole weekend for an AAU basketball tourney. Haven't seen a single Texas, Michigan, PSU or OSU hat or any gear. Think I saw one ND hat but maybe it wasn't. Saw a few SU hats as well as t-shirts. Also saw a Nazareth. Of course I wasn't checking out people for what hats they were wearing so maybe I missed them all. Not a lot of hats anyways because it was a girls tourney and those wearing hats that I saw were boys working the tournament, there to watch someone play or just hanging around.

BTW, Syracuse is part of CNY and Cuse hats/gear outweighs any other school in Syracuse alone by such a great margin, that it has to be far and away #1 in CNY.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom