OMG: Bleacherreport Has this right: ND to ACC | Syracusefan.com

OMG: Bleacherreport Has this right: ND to ACC

I'll believe it if conference play beings with ND there

Its pretty much the same stuff that Pro ND to ACC people have been saying since this shake up began. Only the "positives" for ND are listed, but the negatives for joining far outweigh that.

two words...Bleacher Report

I guess he makes as compelling an argument as anyone.

Its pretty much the same stuff that Pro ND to ACC people have been saying since this shake up began. Only the "positives" for ND are listed, but the negatives for joining far outweigh that.

Let's see the end game...this is a fun topic of important conference implications...more than one answer...but c'mon...we want it to be the ACC and I do not think the negatives outweigh the positives

Outside of the loss of football independence, what negatives would that be?

I'm not so sure it's out of the realm of possibility.

10 years ago you'd never hear ND say a word
5 years ago they said they'd have to monitor things
2 years ago they said if the landscape changed, they might have to consider a conference
currently they are talking with conferences

Doesn't mean they'll join one today or tomorrow, but the noose sure is tightening around their necks.

Outside of the loss of football independence, what negatives would that be?
$$$$$$$$$$ that is the negative for Notre Dame...they will make less money in a conference, I would guess they would make a lot less money

While they have their TV contact they're not joining anyone. If they suck for 5 more years and their new contract is significantly less, then there is a chance that an ACC per school payout can match that.

$$$$$$$$$$ that is the negative for Notre Dame...they will make less money in a conference, I would guess they would make a lot less money

That is correct, they would not make a fraction of the $ in a conference that they receive simply in endowments and donations on an annual basis from alumni who are religous about their independent status. Its what ND fans identify themselves with to the core. That alone is enough for them to say no thanks as long as they can say no thanks. Outside of that, their inability to schedule exactly who they want when they want, the loss of some of their traditional "rivalries" (MSU, Mich, USC, Purdue, Navy, ect) would also get their fan base up in arms. Just my 2 cents.

Actually they make less money by being Indy. TV for B1G is more than ND gets. Bowl money is more as well. They only way ND can make more money than a B1G team is by making a BCS game, since they do not share with anyone. So unless ND starts making BCS games on a consistent basis, they are worse off.

If ND joined the ACC, they same would likely be true. Especially if the ACC made its own network, having the whole East cost and major cities involved.

That is correct, they would not make a fraction of the $ in a conference that they receive simply in endowments and donations on an annual basis from alumni who are religous about their independent status. Its what ND fans identify themselves with to the core. That alone is enough for them to say no thanks as long as they can say no thanks. Outside of that, their inability to schedule exactly who they want when they want, the loss of some of their traditional "rivalries" (MSU, Mich, USC, Purdue, Navy, ect) would also get their fan base up in arms. Just my 2 cents.

Are ND boosters really that silly? They rather see ND fail by with holding funds? All because they can't play teams they have no attachment to?

They may not have the ability to schedule who they want, when they want. The conferences are going to more and more inventory, meaning less OOC games. ND will have issues getting games in November as just about everyone (including non BCS confs) is going to 9 games, maybe even 10.

They can keep Navy, Mich, and USC. They would lose Purdue and Mich St. Is that a big deal to their fans? I would thin that would be like SU losing WV and RU to move to the ACC. Plus Mich St is always a thorn in ND's side.

Actually they make less money by being Indy. TV for B1G is more than ND gets. Bowl money is more as well. They only way ND can make more money than a B1G team is by making a BCS game, since they do not share with anyone. So unless ND starts making BCS games on a consistent basis, they are worse off.

If ND joined the ACC, they same would likely be true. Especially if the ACC made its own network, having the whole East cost and major cities involved.
Is the Big 10 TV contract really 12 times bigger than ND deal with NBC..that is the question

Is the Big 10 TV contract really 12 times bigger than ND deal with NBC..that is the question

Yes it is. ND gets about $10 million from NBC. They then get money from the BE for BBall which isn't very much. I think I have seen that it is around $3 million. So in total ND gets less than $15 million from TV. The ACC teams are expected to get $15 million a year when SU and Pitt join. B1G teams get $10 million more than ACC teams.

Now ND can certainly get a lot more money when their current deal with NBC runs out. The TV money has gone up quite a bit since their last deal. However it will be hard to push a network too hard if ND continues to be mediocre.

Also you need to remember ND has very little inventory to sell. A network would be buying 6-7 games a year.

Gee, I did not realize that ND was nationally competitive in any sport.

Are ND boosters really that silly? They rather see ND fail by with holding funds? All because they can't play teams they have no attachment to?

They may not have the ability to schedule who they want, when they want. The conferences are going to more and more inventory, meaning less OOC games. ND will have issues getting games in November as just about everyone (including non BCS confs) is going to 9 games, maybe even 10.

They can keep Navy, Mich, and USC. They would lose Purdue and Mich St. Is that a big deal to their fans? I would thin that would be like SU losing WV and RU to move to the ACC. Plus Mich St is always a thorn in ND's side.

Well I would guess its a matter of perspective. What do the ND fans hold dear and resignate with? #1, I think, is Independence. This is their brand, and ND is what people think of when they think of college football, at least more so than any other team.

As far as failing ND will never fail. Looking over the past 20 or so years ND has not been any where near an elite team on the footbal field record wise, yet they are still the gold standard as far as expansion is concerned. So much so, that conferences are afraid to possibly miss out on the sweepstakes if they expand to 16 and ND is not one of those teams.

I understand what you are saying and I am not an ND fan, actually quite the oppisite, I love rooting against them, and would love to have them in the ACC... but I just don't see it happening.

Yes it is. ND gets about $10 million from NBC. They then get money from the BE for BBall which isn't very much. I think I have seen that it is around $3 million. So in total ND gets less than $15 million from TV. The ACC teams are expected to get $15 million a year when SU and Pitt join. B1G teams get $10 million more than ACC teams.

Now ND can certainly get a lot more money when their current deal with NBC runs out. The TV money has gone up quite a bit since their last deal. However it will be hard to push a network too hard if ND continues to be mediocre.

Also you need to remember ND has very little inventory to sell. A network would be buying 6-7 games a year.

the revised ACC contract with 'Cuse and Pitt will be pushing
$20-$23 million to team...if ND was to join it is probably worth another $2-$3million more per team...actually far more than ND makes now...it is not the money that ND is concerned about...their endowement is one of 5-10 largest in country...they value independence for football and competition for olympic sports. Fact is, the ACC would allow them 3-4 games ooc each year so they do not loose rivalries that are important...michigan, navy and usc...So I believe ACC is in the running...!!!