OMG Todd MkShay what a | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OMG Todd MkShay what a

Besides USC where we sold out to stop the deep pass, our D has been pathetic in the air. This game scares the hell out of me. WV can put up 70 points in a blink of an eye. They have a ton of speed like nothing we have seen. This isn't last year. They have plenty of time to prepare for what we ran in the past and will not be overlooking us so much. We need to get off to a good start and get in their heads. If we get off to the poor start that we normally do, we will never catch up. The smart play is to pick WV here. I am surprised that the line is so close.

They put up ridiculous scores against Marshall (103rd TD), Baylor (119th), and Kansas (113th). That skews their scoring numbers significantly.

SU game up 42 pts in each of it's first two games, since then 8 of 10 were in the 20's or less, and the USF and Cinci games were in the 30's on the road and more a product of getting gashed in the run game than torched in the air.

SU can win a game that gets to the 40's. If it is north of there, it's likely not a good thing.

The question that needs to be asked is, is the Big12 passing offenses in part a product of the lack of defense in much of the league or are the defensive numbers a product of playing so many great offenses. Half of that conference is below 100th in pass defense and KSt is 90th. On the other hand half the conference is in the top 10 in pass offense.

Well, West Virginia's offensive playmakers (Smith, Austin, Bailey, Woods, Clarke, Buie, Alston) and system was no different this year than they were last year playing in the Big East.

Their output this year in 9 Big 12 Conference games was 330.9 passing ypg on 42.0 attempts per game, with 29 passing TDs and 6 interceptions. Rushing Offense was 184.1 ypg with 16 TDs in conference games. Total Offense was 515.0 ypg in Big 12 Conference games this year. Scoring Offense was 39.7 points per game in conference this year.

In 2011, in 7 Big East games the output was 326.9 ypg on 39.1 attemps per game, with only 13 TDs and 5 interceptions. Total Offense was 433.6 ypg in Big East Conference games last year. Rushing Offense was 106.7 ypg with 12 TDs in conference games. Scoring Offense was 31.0 points per game in conference games last year.

So, unless the WVU offense got significantly better over the offseason, their in-conference production on offense definitely got much better playing against the defenses in the Big 12.

I agree.

This game is scary due to WVU's ability to score from anywhere on the field.

We have to tackle well in the open field - have to pressure the QB and of course have to win the TO battle.

Master of the obvious - eh?

Yes, but they had the same ability, players, and offense last year and we destroyed them. I don't know why we couldn't manage a similar gameplan again this year.

Besides USC where we sold out to stop the deep pass, our D has been pathetic in the air. This game scares the hell out of me. WV can put up 70 points in a blink of an eye. They have a ton of speed like nothing we have seen. This isn't last year. They have plenty of time to prepare for what we ran in the past and will not be overlooking us so much. We need to get off to a good start and get in their heads. If we get off to the poor start that we normally do, we will never catch up. The smart play is to pick WV here. I am surprised that the line is so close.

Why is this not like last year? They have the same playmakers this year that were on the field for them last year... I think that the Carrier Dome would have been a place that they could have showplaced those skills and we destroyed them.

Yes, but they had the same ability, players, and offense last year and we destroyed them. I don't know why we couldn't manage a similar gameplan again this year.

Players get better and mature. Their coach has been there now two full seasons vs only half a season when we played them last year. He is more familiar with his players. We lost Chandler who was a beast that day. We also lost Philip Thomas who had a nice game. We are not at home nor catching them off guard. They also have a month to prepare for us and how we played them last year. There is nothing similar to last years game except the names of the teams. I hope we see the same result but to assume so based on last year is silly.

What is Syracuse points per game allowed statistic?

Syracuse has allowed 25.7 ppg this year (#52 Nationally).

West Virginia allowed 38.1 ppg (#116 Nationally).

The closest scoring defense that we have to compare with that we played against this year is Temple, at #88 Nationally. And WVU's defense is much worse than Temple, who gave up 38 points to us without Syracuse even playing to score more points in the 4th Quarter.

TCU has a similarly ranked (slightly better) Pass Defense as Syracuse for this year, and they gave up 260 yards passing and 38 points to WVU.

Players get better and mature. Their coach has been there now two full seasons vs only half a season when we played them last year. He is more familiar with his players. We lost Chandler who was a beast that day. We also lost Philip Thomas who had a nice game. We are not at home nor catching them off guard. They also have a month to prepare for us and how we played them last year. There is nothing similar to last years game except the names of the teams. I hope we see the same result but to assume so based on last year is silly.

I didn't assume that we will see the same result. I'm saying that we will be able to come up with a gameplan to stop them again.

Yes, the Syracuse defensive players are different but is it better, worse, or the same? Syracuse Total Defense is #51 this year, and was #64 last year. Passing Defense is #65 this year versus #98 last year. Scoring Defense is #52 this year and was #73 last year.

Yes, players can get better and mature. But the key players for WVU are still the same and they were outstanding last year. It's not like Gino Smith, Tavon Austin, and Steadman Bailey just transformed into outstanding players over the offseason. Two years in a row Gino Smith has been befuddled by Syracuse's defense. Maybe third times a charm for the WVU gameplan so he can finally have a good day against Syracuse?

Also, the head coach time in position argument is weak. They played fine against other opponents before and after they played at Syracuse last year. Did Holgorsen take SU game week off or what? Whatever Syracuse did against them was something they couldn't handle. They put up 43 points against a stout UCONN defense the week before playing Syracuse and 41 points against a stout Rutgers defense the week after.

Regardless, I think that with all of the preparation time available that this game will be high scoring, unless the weather is nasty. Also, to think that last year's game has nothing to do with this years game doesn't make much sense to me. I am sure that both head coaches will think otherwise in their preparation.

Questions for your since you seem very keen on my observations - and very responsive to them.

When did you graduate from SU? How long have you followed SU Football or college football?

Thanks.

Class of 2012. Followed SU Football since I was accepted in 2007. So essentially 2 years of Groobers.

you really should learn to laugh about the bj daniels stuff. everyone in the world but you thinks he's terrible. the 500 yards he gets you on the ground is just not worth the disastrous passing

Sorry, but I feel the way I feel.

I have watched the guy for four years.

I was at the game in Tampa this year - I saw how he manhandled us - his running was outstanding and his passing was spot on. The USF Bulls had the game won - they lost because of fumbles and pretty poor defense.

I saw him crush us in the Dome last year.

So, based upon my observations - and having watched the game for over forty years I happen to feel that he is a very good dual purpose QB.

Do I think he's a pro? No, I don't - I don't think he has the size to play at that level.

Do I think he has the ability of say a Teddy Bridgewater? No I don't (Bridgewater appears to be very very special - a real pro).

But as a college QB I happen to feel that BJ gave us more trouble than any other QB we faced this year - with his running and yes his throwing.

Now Millhouse if I worried about how many on this board feel about my observations about SU Football or college football or the law or ethics, I would drive myself crazy.It's all banter.

You know the conventional wisdom on the board: (1) Pasqualoni and DeLeone sucked - he had success only on the basis of what Coach Mac did, etc.; (2) Nate Hackett sucked - until maybe about the seventh or eight game this year; (3) talent is less important than coaching; (4) Rutgers sucks - we have more talent than they do - we should have won the game this year, etc; (5) we should hire Chip Kelly or Bobby Petrino or some other high profile coach.

And on and on.

I do laugh at this board - especially when my comments cause emotional responses. I find it all very entertaining and try not take any of it too seriously.

So, I don't get upset when you call me or others "stupid" or "ignorant" or offer sarcasm in response to what I post. I feel equipped to handle it.

By the way on the Rutgers issue - the question of that team's physical superiority to the Orange - I happened to find my program from this year's game.

Did you know that Rutgers has 34 players who are at least 6' 4" tall and 16 players who are at least 6' 6" tall? SU on the other hand has about 16 players who are at least 6' 4" tall and not a single player who is 6' 6" tall.

When you see the two teams up close - together - you quickly see the difference in size and speed.

Okay, Millhouse now really let me have it - tell me the real truth!!

Sorry, but I feel the way I feel.

I have watched the guy for four years.

I was at the game in Tampa this year - I saw how he manhandled us - his running was outstanding and his passing was spot on. The USF Bulls had the game won - they lost because of fumbles and pretty poor defense.

I saw him crush us in the Dome last year.

So, based upon my observations - and having watched the game for over forty years I happen to feel that he is a very good dual purpose QB.

Do I think he's a pro? No, I don't - I don't think he has the size to play at that level.

Do I think he has the ability of say a Teddy Bridgewater? No I don't (Bridgewater appears to be very very special - a real pro).

But as a college QB I happen to feel that BJ gave us more trouble than any other QB we faced this year - with his running and yes his throwing.

Now Millhouse if I worried about how many on this board feel about my observations about SU Football or college football or the law or ethics, I would drive myself crazy.It's all banter.

You know the conventional wisdom on the board: (1) Pasqualoni and DeLeone sucked - he had success only on the basis of what Coach Mac did, etc.; (2) Nate Hackett sucked - until maybe about the seventh or eight game this year; (3) talent is less important than coaching; (4) Rutgers sucks - we have more talent than they do - we should have won the game this year, etc; (5) we should hire Chip Kelly or Bobby Petrino or some other high profile coach.

And on and on.

I do laugh at this board - especially when my comments cause emotional responses. I find it all very entertaining and try not take any of it too seriously.

So, I don't get upset when you call me or others "stupid" or "ignorant" or offer sarcasm in response to what I post. I feel equipped to handle it.

By the way on the Rutgers issue - the question of that team's physical superiority to the Orange - I happened to find my program from this year's game.

Did you know that Rutgers has 34 players who are at least 6' 4" tall and 16 players who are at least 6' 6" tall? SU on the other hand has about 16 players who are at least 6' 4" tall and not a single player who is 6' 6" tall.

When you see the two teams up close - together - you quickly see the difference in size and speed.

Okay, Millhouse now really let me have it - tell me the real truth!!

the truth is that daniels sucks, everyone knows it, the numbers prove it, and you're contrarian for the sake of it. that's why you bring up deleone and hackett and whatever else. everyone else has fun at your expense with this and all you'd have to do is smile and say oh all right on this one

For me - 1968.
Congrats. I realize you are trying to make a point about seniority but I don't think me and you are very different, OPA. We both know people in the program and we both want to see us win. You just need to realize I am a sarcastic opinionated a-hole and we'll be cool.

the truth is that daniels sucks, everyone knows it, the numbers prove it, and you're contrarian for the sake of it. that's why you bring up deleone and hackett and whatever else. everyone else has fun at your expense with this and all you'd have to do is smile and say oh all right on this one

Oh so you know the truth?

What a burden you must bear! I guess I should feel shame because I can't admit what you have determined? Oh woe is me! The judge of intelligence has spoken!

Sorry Millhouse but you missed the point.

Let me say it again.

There are many "truths" on this board that I feel are untrue.

As far as what everybody knows, I guess Leavitt, Holtz and other coaches disagree with the assessment.

I'll give one kudo- you didn't use the word crap in your post. Well done.

WV is 7th nationally in scoring. We were 52nd in points allowed. Our opponents thus far have been:

#37 USC
#42 NW
#47 Cincy
#47 Louisville
#72 Pitt
#81 Mizzou
#85 Temple
#91 RU
#97 Minny
#104 USF
#118 UConn

WV is like nothing we have seen all year. It may be hard to prepare for a big league O when you have played minor league Os all year. On top of that we haven't really fared all to well in PPG against those minor league Os.
Do you think that they can stop SU? We averaged 503yds and 37 points/game over the last 6. Those numbers are better than theirs. We should scare the hell out them my friend!

I don't know yet.

As I recall BJ rushed for over 130 yards and threw for nearly 200 yards against the Orange.

As I recall he led USF to a 23-3 lead at halftime and without the USF TOs would probably have won the game.
How convenient of you to reference turnovers when it suits your argument. But you discount the fact the TO's and a gift TD on a non-TO would have resulted in a different outcome in New Jersey. You can't have it both ways.

Millhouse had it right. You are contrarian.

How convenient of you to reference turnovers when it suits your argument. But you discount the fact the TO's and a gift TD on a non-TO would have resulted in a different outcome in New Jersey. You can't have it both ways.

Millhouse had it right. You are contrarian.

I don't think you understand.

The issue was the play of BJ against the Orange.

My point did not deal with the entire USF team - only BJ.

Had others - not BJ - not turned the ball over in the second half - I think an RB fumble - BJ's play would have carried the day. He played a great game that night - running and throwing the ball.

Regarding Rutgers I think you again missed the point.

And I know how much it maddens so many on this board - again the "truth" of the board phenomenon - but I have been saying all along that Rutgers out muscled us that day - they beat us up.

If you watch the film you see that Rutgers hit Nassib really hard over and over again - sacking him and forcing him into two INTs and some fumbles - I don't recall how many, but I think four were caused and two were lost. Rutgers made plays that caused the TOs. They were bigger, stronger and more dominant that day.

None of that however has anything to do with BJ Daniels' play against the Orange.

It is true that USF's Demetri Murray fumbled the ball with eight minutes to go in the 3rd Quarter allowing SU to take the ball and score, and with about 10 minutes had a FG attempt blocked allowing the Orange to kick a FG and eventually win the game with three seconds left.

But none of that had anything to do with BJ Daniels - he played very well and that was the point of the post.

I don't think you understand.

The issue was the play of BJ against the Orange.

My point did not deal with the entire USF team - only BJ.

Had others - not BJ - not turned the ball over in the second half - I think an RB fumble - BJ's play would have carried the day. He played a great game that night - running and throwing the ball.

Regarding Rutgers I think you again missed the point.

And I know how much it maddens so many on this board - again the "truth" of the board phenomenon - but I have been saying all along that Rutgers out muscled us that day - they beat us up.

If you watch the film you see that Rutgers hit Nassib really hard over and over again - sacking him and forcing him into two INTs and some fumbles - I don't recall how many, but I think four were caused and two were lost. Rutgers made plays that caused the TOs. They were bigger, stronger and more dominant that day.

None of that however has anything to do with BJ Daniels' play against the Orange.

It is true that USF's Demetri Murray fumbled the ball with eight minutes to go in the 3rd Quarter allowing SU to take the ball and score, and with about 10 minutes had a FG attempt blocked allowing the Orange to kick a FG and eventually win the game with three seconds left.

But none of that had anything to do with BJ Daniels - he played very well and that was the point of the post.
Your point was that BJ Daniels played well "and without the USF TO's probably would have won the game." Those are your words, not mine. And I clearly understood them, thank you very much.

However, while no one here needs a primer on your opinion on the RU game. You've stated it dozens of times and you refuse to acknowledge the impact a handful of plays had on the outcome of that game, whereby Syracuse probably would have won the game.

No matter how hard hitting RU was or how beat up SU was in that game, you've consistently discounted the impact of a questionable TO and the bad call on a fumble caused by the Syracuse defense at the goal line that resulted in a TD for RU instead of a touchback for Syracuse. No doubt that directly impacted the game outcome.

And now, you've just taken the opposing argument in favor of another one or our opponents. And you are surprised when people call you out?

There are only a handful of people on this board who have been around as long as you. Congratulations on your longevity. No one is questioning your Syracuse fandom.

It's your inability to fairly assess the full and complete picture. By your own admission, your comments are based "upon my observations - and having watched the game for over forty years." Does Rutgers have an outstanding defense? Of course. Whether you've been watching four years or forty years, it's fairly evident. Was their win in what was ultimately a one-score game aided by a series of fortuitous calls. Again no doubt. But you can't bring yourself to acknowledge and admit that.

Furthermore, your posts border on inflammatory.
  • "The USF Bulls had the game won - they lost because of fumbles and pretty poor defense."
Really? Nothing about a great team comeback, or the gritty performance of the top QB in the league and his offense? Nothing about the Syracuse defense and special teams that caused the turnovers. Funny how you praise the hard hitting Rutgers defense for their play in their game against us. Instead, in this instance, you talk up BJ Daniels, who was only a pedestrian 17/30 for 183 and led his team to a TD on just one of four second half drives when it counted, with nary a word of praise for the team effort that resulted in the comeback win.

As I said in my first post, you can't have it both ways. Now, please tell me again what I don't understand.

I don't know yet.

As I recall BJ rushed for over 130 yards and threw for nearly 200 yards against the Orange.

As I recall he led USF to a 23-3 lead at halftime and without the USF TOs would probably have won the game.

He was the most effective dual threat QB we faced this year.

I suspect that he runs better than Geno and has less talent around him than Geno at the skill positions - so he may be.

Questions for your since you seem very keen on my observations - and very responsive to them.

When did you graduate from SU? How long have you followed SU Football or college football?

Thanks.

1 game is an awful small sample size. I must have missed all those all league accolades.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

If you watch the film you see that Rutgers hit Nassib really hard over and over again - sacking him and forcing him into two INTs and some fumbles - I don't recall how many, but I think four were caused and two were lost. Rutgers made plays that caused the TOs. They were bigger, stronger and more dominant that day..

Rarely have I seen a team get beat up all game while still having twice as many 1st downs and twice as much yardage. Also a lineman slipping and falling which resulted in a blocked FG and TD wasn't due to getting beat up

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2