On An Island Again...... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

On An Island Again......

If Doug makes it great if not who cares. We are going to the ACC the admin is committed to big time football. With our tradition, the ACC, new facilaties we have become a very good coaching job. Doug will either win or he will be fired.
Of course you have to care. If Doug isn't the HC it will be because the program has taken steps backward & will need at least 3 yrs for the next guy to re-group.

Greg's third game wa s 24-27 loss to a then nationally ranked Virginia team. it was really quite encouraging. They then went on the road to Florida State and Connecticut.
It was a national TV game & we weren't doing well, so it was probably game 4 against FSU that I am remembering after re-checking the schedule. I doubt the VA game would have been broadcast out in NM.

Well, it took me all of three games to to say that Greg wasn't going to get it done. I believe I was the first poster to take that position. It was the very first Cuse game I got to see with Greg as Coach. I believe it was the third game overall that he coached. We were getting blasted. I posted that I did not like the sloppiness and the quit in the kids. I did not like Greg on the sidelines hanging his head instead of encouraging the kids. I knew he would be a loser.

Well, now it is the opposite withDoug. I am about the only one standing up for Doug today. I like the progression that the team has made overall despite a lack of talent. The talent is being gradually upgraded. Yeah, I, too disliked the last five games. The kids were very sloppy today, but they did not quit. They had a chance to win right up until that last pick six despite starting off in a huge hole.

Is Doug a super-winner, a great coach in the making ? I do not know the answer to that question. Most likely not, but then again few are.

However, I do believe that he is a solid competant coach who will continue to gradually improve the program over time. In the end, our program probably has a ceiling. I can't see us being at the level of the LSU's and Oklahoma's of this world on a year in year out basis. If our ceiling is just to be a "fringe" Top 25 program most years then I can see Doug getting us there. He is a young coach, and I believe that he will learn from the regression of the last five games and get us back on a slow steady track.

I think it will take a little bit more time, maybe two more years, but I predict Doug will get it done.
i went out on limb last week as well--i feel we need to give him a contract extension, and avoid the coaching carasal(sp). he needs the stability and coaches and recruits need to see this. i believe he is over extended mentally and he needs to modify his approach---grow into the position ---so to speak.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom