on howard | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

on howard

Add Frank to that 5-10 minute talk in a normal year, too.
At over 38% three point shooting and one of the better finishers we’ve had in years.

This has to be a joke

well i don't recall Boeheim being too kind to him either last year in front of the mic. in fact brutal.

At over 38% three point shooting and one of the better finishers we’ve had in years.

This has to be a joke

No, not a joke.

He would play sparingly if we had MCW, Ennis, Waiters, Triche, etc. Or any number of players we've had over the last 15 years.

No, not a joke.

He would play sparingly if we had MCW, Ennis, Waiters, Triche, etc. Or any number of players we've had over the last 15 years.
MCW was a rookie of the year, Ennis was surrounded by Fair/grant/cooney, and Dion Waiters was a lottery pick.

Did we become Kentucky over night or our standards a little ridiculous right now?

Triche was a good player all 4 years during the most successful period in our programs history without a ring.

All these guards were surrounded by upper classmen, system groomed top tier talent.

Frank has a sophomore battle, a freshman brissett and what else exactly?

No, not a joke.

Frank is a better shooter than all 4 of those guys. It's not hard to look at stats.

FH is the new Trevor Cooney gets blamed for every loss. Every mistake is magnified because the board doesn't like him or the way he handled himself on and off the court the last couple of seasons.

Trevor Cooney was never accused of failure to hustle.

What i find interesting is that we dont move Battle or Frank or Bris through multiple screens like we used to with coon dog.

What i find interesting is that we dont move Battle or Frank or Bris through multiple screens like we used to with coon dog.

Someone finally realized that Cooney running full bore to the 3 point line and then trying to stop all that momentum and shoot a decent shot is like really hard. Triche was asked to run the same play. I like the play where a big picks for Howard up top, he tries to go left, then passes back to Battle at the wing for a three. That's been fairly successful because it opens that side up a bit so he can attack if challenged for the three.

Someone finally realized that Cooney running full bore to the 3 point line and then trying to stop all that momentum and shoot a decent shot is like really hard. Triche was asked to run the same play. I like the play where a big picks for Howard up top, he tries to go left, then passes back to Battle at the wing for a three. That's been fairly successful because it opens that side up a bit so he can attack if challenged for the three.

Good point about shooting coming off those screens. It's actually a great play. They ran a staggered screen along the baseline, and then the final screen was usually a down screen that the Guard had to curl hard off of, catch and shoot. Very difficult to do in one fluid motion, let alone make the shoot. But when done right, it is very difficult to defend.

Rautins was the best I've seen at it, amazingly good. Cooney and Gmac were very good at it. I can't see Frank or Brissett running that play. I'm not sure about Battte. I am guessing that if he was good at it, we would see that set a lot more. I think the next time we see it will be with Buddy.

I have that same feeling I did when I realized Troy Nunes really was the QB going forward - after that performance its like I could care less - obviously the tournament is long gone - just want Carey and Bazely to get here and pray Howard doesn't want to b-line straight to the D league too

Good point about shooting coming off those screens. It's actually a great play. They ran a staggered screen along the baseline, and then the final screen was usually a down screen that the Guard had to curl hard off of, catch and shoot. Very difficult to do in one fluid motion, let alone make the shoot. But when done right, it is very difficult to defend.

Rautins was the best I've seen at it, amazingly good. Cooney and Gmac were very good at it. I can't see Frank or Brissett running that play. I'm not sure about Battte. I am guessing that if he was good at it, we would see that set a lot more. I think the next time we see it will be with Buddy.
We can't run a basic P/R from either end. That's a pity, b/c it's difficult to defend and used to the be B/B of SU's offense. The few times each game we try it, usually it's a lob-type pass that either isn't caught or if caught, is stolen. The bounce pass is the only way to go and ... we can't do it.

We can't run a basic P/R from either end. That's a pity, b/c it's difficult to defend and used to the be B/B of SU's offense. The few times each game we try it, usually it's a lob-type pass that either isn't caught or if caught, is stolen. The bounce pass is the only way to go and ... we can't do it.

We are not really even trying to run a P/R offense. It won't really work with our 5s or 4s even if we were. The double high screens is not a P/R offense. There are a lot of on ball screens happening as part of (and I will use the term loosely) a motion offense concept.

The problem with the "motion" part of our offense is that there is not a lot of/any off ball action. The guard is just looking to create and/or draw the help side defender away from the paint, while Battle or Brissett rotate to the top. Once that pass is made, the passer clears, and you see the dribble drive part of the play (or what some here call the ISO offense).

We are not really even trying to run a P/R offense. It won't really work with our 5s or 4s even if we were. The double high screens is not a P/R offense. There are a lot of on ball screens happening as part of (and I will use the term loosely) a motion offense concept.

The problem with the "motion" part of our offense is that there is not a lot of/any off ball action. The guard is just looking to create and/or draw the help side defender away from the paint, while Battle or Brissett rotate to the top. Once that pass is made, the passer clears, and you see the dribble drive part of the play (or what some here call the ISO offense).
I agree that, at times (second half of the ND game), there’s not much motion in our motion offense. I also agree that on high screens, we have an option of a pass back to another guy rotating to the top. But that’s because we can’t get the ball to the big on the P/R because we can’t make the proper entry pass. Half-lobs to Chukwu or Dolezaj in the lane aren’t going to work— there’s too much traffic in there and they aren’t strong enough to grab it and finish. They need a bounce pass at the waste or higher to have half a chance. And we can’t get it done. If you watch our bigs on high screens, they’re flying off and hoping to get a pass. It’s P/R - just not executed.

Last edited:
So we can’t run a P&R. We can’t really run motion. We don’t cut off the ball. We can’t shoot. We have trouble handling the ball. JB doesn’t evidently think we should be passing more. What the hell is going on, lol?!

So we can’t run a P&R. We can’t really run motion. We don’t cut off the ball. We can’t shoot. We have trouble handling the ball. JB doesn’t evidently think we should be passing more. What the hell is going on, lol?!
We’re not putting the effort into the offense that we’re putting into defense. Some of it is not knowing what to do (lack of experience). Some of it is lack of ability. Some of it is lack of depth. Right now we have 7 1/2 guys and we’re often left with iso towards the end of the shot clock. Our back courts on the floor all the time, and IMHO FH is not really a set up guy (he’s a SG). Either way, we’ve been exposed — teams are packing it in and daring us to shoot (familiar theme). I think it’s going to be a long year — just enjoy watching the kids learn. This is a good combination of developing guys and some talent to bring into next year.

If FH and Battle switched spots and FH turned the ball over like Battle did and Battle didn't hustle back. The threads wouldn't be about Battles lack of hustle it would be how FH turned the ball over instead.

Maybe so. I barely read this board anymore and have no idea if frank gets a disproportionate share of criticism. I like his game and am glad he is here. So there was no bias on my end in starting this thread and I would have said no matter who it was. Just frustration. But is it really that hard to distinguish between not succeeding in a particular moment (ie missing a shot of turning it over) and not trying in a moment. Either way a moment does not define the player I agree but I see those as dramatically different things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom