on that game tying shot . . . | Syracusefan.com

on that game tying shot . . .

Oráiste

2017 Iggy Award Winner
great gutsy shot . . . but give a big assist to White, who very cleverly backed Rowan out of defensive position giving Gillon a small window to shoot through.

if the teams had been reversed, I'd be screaming "moving screen!" but instead I am saying "heady
play by the 5th year senior!"

that shot gets more incredible the more you watch it. degree of difficulty on that shot is really high even if it was a shot early in the game, then you throw in the pressure of the moment and on the road, all i can say is mr gillon has got major ONIONS !!!

great gutsy shot . . . but give a big assist to White, who very cleverly backed Rowan out of defensive position giving Gillon a small window to shoot through.

if the teams had been reversed, I'd be screaming "moving screen!" but instead I am saying "heady
play by the 5th year senior!"

Before I saw the bottom part of your post, I was going to write, "yeah, but it was a moving screen." It was blatant but as you said, smart veteran move. Still, the shot was a double-clutch and a prayer but if you watch the replay, it looked like it was clearly going to fall when the ball was at its apex.

And one thing on the Rowan ahot, ironically we had him guarded well on that play, a hand right in his face. We left him open all game but not on that last shot.

And one thing on the Rowan ahot, ironically we had him guarded well on that play, a hand right in his face. We left him open all game but not on that last shot.

yep, we got incredibly lucky that Gillon was so hot . . . our defense was terrible last night.

even considering the effort vs Florida State last weekend, I have to say this is the worst defensive Syracuse team that I can ever remember

I'm not so sure how smart it was. It looked more to me like he had no idea where to go or what to do, and just happened to clear a path for Gillon on accident.

Yeah, even White pretty much said that in his post-game interview. Sometimes things just go your way - it was definitely nice to see it happen last night.

I'm not sure it is a moving screen unless contact with the defender is made. At least that is what a ref told me when I was complaining once about an offensive player blocking my defender from getting out on a shooter.

I'm not so sure how smart it was. It looked more to me like he had no idea where to go or what to do, and just happened to clear a path for Gillon on accident.

Well, he definitely started it badly, bringing his defender to Gillon right away. I have a feeling he was going to try to set up a pick and pop for himself, but it didn't work, so he did the right thing by getting the heck out of dodge and moving away from Gillon.

White got in the way more than anything, but it happened to work out. Btw, that wasn't a moving screen. He barely made any contact with Rowan and Rowan was guarding White at the point of contact, not Gillon.

Before I saw the bottom part of your post, I was going to write, "yeah, but it was a moving screen." It was blatant but as you said, smart veteran move. Still, the shot was a double-clutch and a prayer but if you watch the replay, it looked like it was clearly going to fall when the ball was at its apex.

Those last two made shots in regulation were the two best defended possessions in the half-court all game.

Just wondering -- Did we have any timeouts left?

Just wondering -- Did we have any timeouts left?

we did. jb said in the postgame he told the team in the huddle that they were just gonna go and not call timeout if nc state took the lead. but he did say he didnt expect to be down by 3

Regarding whether White's movement constituted a moving screen or not... look, all throughout the game when there was an odd bounce of the ball or a carom off the backboard ... it seemingly bounced in N. C.States direction and they were the recipients of many of the iffy calls and up for grabs bounces...

so, if we happened to catch a break on that play... SO BE IT... it's about time we catch a break!

refs arent gonna call a moving screen in that situation unless its BLATANT. and even then theyd probably let it go. i dont even think that was a moving screen anyway, there was very little contact.

I'm not sure it is a moving screen unless contact with the defender is made. At least that is what a ref told me when I was complaining once about an offensive player blocking my defender from getting out on a shooter.
There is no rule called "moving screen". If you cause contact with another player, it's a foul without regard to what you are trying to do. If there's no significant contact, no harm/no foul.

we did. jb said in the postgame he told the team in the huddle that they were just gonna go and not call timeout if nc state took the lead. but he did say he didnt expect to be down by 3

Also, and i don't know if this played into it, but without a timeout Gottfried couldn't tell his team to foul (if that in fact was his plan, i dont think it was, just syaing)

100% correct on Rowan. White was right on him. The toughest shot he made all night. The hero for 20 seconds.

Unfortunately Tyus Battle's 3 point FG % has dropped under 40% or SU would have 4 players who play major minutes shooting over 40% from the 3-point line.

Also, and i don't know if this played into it, but without a timeout Gottfried couldn't tell his team to foul (if that in fact was his plan, i dont think it was, just syaing)
The TV graphic showed that NCSU had a timeout.

I think JB has a history of not calling timeouts in late game situations like that. He lets the players play, which is one of the things I like most about him.

100% correct on Rowan. White was right on him. The toughest shot he made all night. The hero for 20 seconds.

Unfortunately Tyus Battle's 3 point FG % has dropped under 40% or SU would have 4 players who play major minutes shooting over 40% from the 3-point line.

Not to make an excuse for Battle, a player I'm quite fond of, but he has had a ton of shots rim out lately. He's been shooting in tough luck, like a baseball player who has been hitting line drives right at people. Those things tend to even out. I expect Battle to finish right at about 40% from 3 by season's end.

Not to make an excuse for Battle, a player I'm quite fond of, but he has had a ton of shots rim out lately. He's been shooting in tough luck, like a baseball player who has been hitting line drives right at people. Those things tend to even out. I expect Battle to finish right at about 40% from 3 by season's end.
Like you, I love the guy. His scoring has dropped off in the past few games and it could simply be bad luck as you say.

If Battle starts shooting well again along with Gillon, White, and Lydon we will be tough to defend. Not sure we have had all four of those guys clicking in the same game all year. Get them and playing well together offensively and improve the defense and we will be really tough to beat for anyone.

Last edited: