One and Dones don't produce Championships | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

One and Dones don't produce Championships

I think Cal is a pretty damn good coach. He gets his kids to buy in and play defense when it it would probably be easy for a lot of them to be looking ahead to their pro career. Is he the absolute best x and o guy? Probably not. But I think he is, overall, a very good coach.

Can't forget the guy also turned UMass into a power. Memphis wasn't exactly firing on all cylinders when he took over there either

In the decade before he took over at UMass, the most games they won in a season was 13.
Didn’t say he was decent coach but also savvy salesman. I simply said JB is better and I’m sticking to it but respect your take

Can you explain what our offensive system is?
We are primarily a defensive team and you know all about the zone. Offensive is always changing based on players on floor but much of the time they are expected to spread floor and create which many players love. Our offensive is always a challenge but come crunch time JB scripts great plays

Part of the reason the one-and-done approach hasn’t resulted in more banners at Lexington is the way the college basketball championship is determined. The NCAAT is (arguably) the most fun way to determine a winner in all of sports. However, it doesn’t always prove who the best team is. That is the flaw in the set-up (apart from seeding/region placement, but that is a different discussion).

Having a bunch of top 5 recruiting classes filled with the best 20 rated high schoolers typically ensures you’re going to be ranked highly in the AP all year, compete at the top of your league, stay away from the bubble, and get a high tournament seed. Those are all measures of team quality, and are components of a positive feedback machine toward continuing that entire sequence. Faring well with within that tournament is another, different measure of team quality. The weight of which type of performance isn’t more important sorta depends on which one your team is getting.

I don’t know how good of a coach Cal is. Can’t say he’s “bad” because he does get the players, he does well with them during the season, they all buy into their roles, and they move on and do very well in the pros. He’s not hurting them, and by all accounts, their training/practices only increase/conform the players’ respect for him.

Kentucky has made at least the elite eight 6 out of the 10 seasons Calipari has been at Kentucky. And he does that with a brand new set of guys every year.

If that is not coaching, not sure what is.

That is recruiting. Given how many stud NBA players he has recruited and how many top 3 recruiting classes has has had, surely he should have at least three rings? What would Boeheim have accomplished with the players he has had. Certainly don't believe if you flipped Boeheim and Cal you would see Syracuse having as much success. Cal is best recruiter ever outside of maybe Wooden but he is a bust as a coach.

That is recruiting. Given how many stud NBA players he has recruited and how many top 3 recruiting classes has has had, surely he should have at least three rings? What would Boeheim have accomplished with the players he has had. Certainly don't believe if you flipped Boeheim and Cal you would see Syracuse having as much success. Cal is best recruiter ever outside of maybe Wooden but he is a bust as a coach.

I think this just simply greatly overstates how hard it is to win a single elimination tournament. Cal has been at UK for 9 years; for him to have "at least" 3 rings as a reasonable expectation, he would need to have what, a 33% chance of winning the tournament every year? You think it's reasonable to expect any team to have a 33% chance of winning a single elimination tournament? They'd basically need to be 80% to win every game, which is a little much.

6 guys in history have won at least 3 NCAA titles in their entire career. Now Cal should have at least that many in less than a decade?

Sorry for the rant, I don't know why I'm such a Cal stan, but I guess I am

I think this just simply greatly overstates how hard it is to win a single elimination tournament. Cal has been at UK for 9 years; for him to have "at least" 3 rings as a reasonable expectation, he would need to have what, a 33% chance of winning the tournament every year? You think it's reasonable to expect any team to have a 33% chance of winning a single elimination tournament? They'd basically need to be 80% to win every game, which is a little much.

6 guys in history have won at least 3 NCAA titles in their entire career. Now Cal should have at least that many in less than a decade?

Sorry for the rant, I don't know why I'm such a Cal stan, but I guess I am
Was it the coaching or the chemistry of talent. Not saying he isn’t decent but give me the three best thoroughbreds in a race at Belmar and I’ll take my chances. His genius is recruiting.

I think any average coach could get Kentucky that far. He's got just about all NBA players. Where he excels is recruiting. But IMO if you gave JB the same talent he'd win 9/10 times over Cal.
Yeah, take five high school seniors, and their entourages, who were all the guy since they were in grade school and could easily have one, or both, eyes on the NBA and get them to buy into each other, buy into their roles, buy into playing defense...

Piece of cake. Anyone can do that.

Not sure what I was thinking.

Yeah, take five high school seniors, and their entourages, who were all the guy since they were in grade school and could easily have one, or both, eyes on the NBA and get them to buy into each other, buy into their roles, buy into playing defense...

Piece of cake. Anyone can do that.

Not sure what I was thinking.

I didn't say "anyone" can do that. I do think that an average coach can do that if they have nothing but NBA talent. And I also think JB would do better given the same amount of talent. I respect your right to think otherwise.

I didn't say "anyone" can do that. I do think that an average coach can do that if they have nothing but NBA talent. And I also think JB would do better given the same amount of talent. I respect your right to think otherwise.
I actually don’t.

If you are trying to manage 5 or 6 or 7 or 10 one and dones, you need to be more Joe Torre than Earl Weaver.

I’m not so sure JB would do that well with a group of players whose egos need massaging and different players need to be treated differently to get buy-in.

I actually don’t.

If you are trying to manage 5 or 6 or 7 or 10 one and dones, you need to be more Joe Torre than Earl Weaver.

I’m not so sure JB would do that well with a group of players whose egos need massaging and different players need to be treated differently to get buy-in.
More Joe Torre than Earl Weaver and more than a little Brian Cashman.

I actually don’t.

To each his own. I really do find this board amusing though. I am often accused for being negative, and here I am going to bat for JB, and saying I think he's a better coach (not recruiter) than Cal, and now I'm still defending my opinion. LMAO.

I don't think the issue is having one and done players but only having one and done players. UK this coming year will have Nick Richards, PJ Washington and Quade Green back. So they will have 3 sophmores and a grad transfer in a 8 man rotation. That is not all one and done. UK is going to be really good this year in my opinion. Better than Duke I think.

I don't think the issue is having one and done players but only having one and done players. UK this coming year will have Nick Richards, PJ Washington and Quade Green back. So they will have 3 sophmores and a grad transfer in a 8 man rotation. That is not all one and done. UK is going to be really good this year in my opinion. Better than Duke I think.
Good point. I think this may be the first time since they've been recruiting primarily one and dones that they actually have a number of guys coming back. They should make a solid run in the tournament.

Good point. I think this may be the first time since they've been recruiting primarily one and dones that they actually have a number of guys coming back. They should make a solid run in the tournament.
I was thinking they had more people when they were undefeated going into that Wisky game but I guess they only had the Harrisons back that year. I didn't look it up but that is all I can remember.

I was thinking they had more people when they were undefeated going into that Wisky game but I guess they only had the Harrisons back that year. I didn't look it up but that is all I can remember.
You may be right. I didn't look it up either. I don't care for the Kentucky program so it's pretty much a given that I'll pull for them to lose. Sure would be awesome if Syracuse could knock them out of the tournament this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom