One gift from Marrone | Syracusefan.com

One gift from Marrone

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
It's been nice seeing mentions of how we've been to bowls in 3 of the last 4 seasons. One big favor Marrone did for the program with the two Pinstripe wins is that regardless of the outcome today, we have a winning bowl record this decade. Hopefully when we qualify for a bowl next season the story will be "Syracuse has now qualified for a bowl in 4 of the last 5 seasons, and has won three straight bowl games."

I would submit that in the sports world, making a bowl in 3 of the last 4 years is a comparable accomplishment to a team qualifying for the NCAA tournament 3 of the last 4 years. Consider that 68 BB teams qualify for March Madness while 70 football teams qualify for bowls.

JoeSU said:
I would submit that in the sports world, making a bowl in 3 of the last 4 years is a comparable accomplishment to a team qualifying for the NCAA tournament 3 of the last 4 years. Consider that 68 BB teams qualify for March Madness while 70 football teams qualify for bowls.

68 out of 325 make the hoops tourney, while 70 out of 120 make a bowl.

So they're pretty darn different, actually.

I'm still a little ticked that we didn't make it in HCDM year 1.

68 out of 325 make the hoops tourney, while 70 out of 120 make a bowl.

So they're pretty darn different, actually.
Most of the 325 hoops teams are small schools that belong to minor "1-bid" conferences (or are independents), and have little realistic shot at making the tourney. If you look at major conferences, a similar number (5-7) typically qualify for bowl games as they do the NCAA tourney. I'm not saying they are exactly equal, but I think the perception is that both accomplishments are on par (i.e., separates the upper tier teams from the low tier teams).

More difficult to make the ncaa tournament than to get to a bowl game. Just the same, its how you measure competitiveness in CFB. First get to bowl games. Then get to better bowl games. And win.

JoeSU said:
Most of the 325 hoops teams are small schools that belong to minor "1-bid" conferences (or are independents), and have little realistic shot at making the tourney. If you look at major conferences, a similar number (5-7) typically qualify for bowl games as they do the NCAA tourney. I'm not saying they are exactly equal, but I think the perception is that both accomplishments are on par (i.e., separates the upper tier teams from the low tier teams).

We'll just agree to disagree. 20 win SU hoops teams have been left out of the tourney while 5 FBS win SU football teams get a bowl invite. Hoops is much more selective IMHO.

44PRIDE said:
I'm still a little ticked that we didn't make it in HCDM year 1.

I'm more upset about year three,, so close

sorry but imo 20 hoop wins trumps 6-6 every damn day.
In last year's tourney, Liberty got in with a a 15-20 record, N.C. A&T was an unimpressive 19-16, while Harvard was 19-9 (all of whom had padded records playing in weak leagues).
There's plenty of mediocrity in both post-seasons.

Last edited:
Well, post season hoops also includes the NCAA, NIT, CBI, and that silly new collegeinsider thing. What is that, like 140 - 150 schools participating in the post season?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom