One individual play that symbolizes our lack of chemistry | Syracusefan.com

One individual play that symbolizes our lack of chemistry

Eric15

Living Legend
Late first half, Gillon had a fast break two on one with I believe Battle (or it may have been Roberson?) and I feel like everyone watching was hoping he would dish it back or throw up an alley-oop attempt, but he clumsily tried to finish himself and got fouled. He ended up making both free throws, but that play just totally rubbed me the wrong way for some reason.

cons: We have no chemistry and we have no interior presence. White can't play SG a lick but he starts and gets minutes there. Nobody can play defense. I forgot Roberson was even in the game. Chukwu is a disaster (Just be 7'2"!!!! That's all you have to freakin' do, and you can't even do that!). Gillon's a midmajor PG; an excellent one, but midmajor nonetheless. Recruiting looks like crap so far. There's plenty more.

pros: 1)Tuarean Thompson looks like he has some potential, 2) I don't hate Frank, 3) literally nothing else.

Late first half, Gillon had a fast break two on one with I believe Battle (or it may have been Roberson?) and I feel like everyone watching was hoping he would dish it back or throw up an alley-oop attempt, but he clumsily tried to finish himself and got fouled. He ended up making both free throws, but that play just totally rubbed me the wrong way for some reason.
Agree. That was one of many plays tonight that drove me nuts. I'm optimistic things will improve.

I'm so glad you mentioned this. Teams from earlier days would have easily had that as the "shut the whole damned stadium up with a rim rocking dunk."

Dude, you're 5 foot nothin'. Pass the ball.

Yeah, that play did make me sad. Gillon did kind of make it up though with that and-0ne later. At the time, I thought that play was going to spark us on a run...but then they just gave Nigel Hayes the ball and he passed it to the dude down low for a dunk or to Koenig for a three. If the trailer was Roberson, I'm even more upset, I've been dying to see more oops thrown his way.

Saw it with White as well, had a guy leading the break ahead of him and took it himself.

That one paled in comparison to White refusing to pass the ball to Howard for a clean dunk only to boot the ball out of bounds (ref called the ball out off Wisconsin, though).

I saw way too much of that with guys like Carter-Williams, Cooney, and Gbinije for the last few years, hoped that the early games were a sign of smarter players. Not happy with this aspect of White's game right npw.

Yeah, that play did make me sad. Gillon did kind of make it up though with that and-0ne later. At the time, I thought that play was going to spark us on a run...but then they just gave Nigel Hayes the ball and he passed it to the dude down low for a dunk or to Koenig for a three. If the trailer was Roberson, I'm even more upset, I've been dying to see more oops thrown his way.

Trailer was definitely Battle. The 6'7" kid. Although he may have given up on the play as well.

Trailer was definitely Battle. The 6'7" kid. Although he may have given up on the play as well.

Yeah, Battle didn't look like he was in position to get a good jump (he was there, he just didn't look ready). I'd still like to see the lob, though Boeheim would've lost his mind if that failed. It's the principle, though - you're the point guard, and a little guy at that. Find your teammate a good look.

cons: We have no chemistry and we have no interior presence. White can't play SG a lick but he starts and gets minutes there. Nobody can play defense. I forgot Roberson was even in the game. Chukwu is a disaster (Just be 7'2"!!!! That's all you have to freakin' do, and you can't even do that!). Gillon's a midmajor PG; an excellent one, but midmajor nonetheless. Recruiting looks like crap so far. There's plenty more.

pros: 1)Tuarean Thompson looks like he has some potential, 2) I don't hate Frank, 3) literally nothing else.

Did Roberson play tonight? Chukwu should not have. Thompson may have potential but he has to learn to play a little defense. He is constantly out of position on defense. Lydon had the ball taken right out of his hands on rebounds at least twice. The good news is that we start playing The Little Sisters of the Poor again.

Yeah, Battle didn't look like he was in position to get a good jump (he was there, he just didn't look ready). I'd still like to see the lob, though Boeheim would've lost his mind if that failed. It's the principle, though - you're the point guard, and a little guy at that. Find your teammate a good look.

Exactly, Slow up just a little, and put that ball up where only Battle can get it. If he doesn't go get it and flush it, well JB will address that with him.

Did Roberson play tonight? Chukwu should not have. Thompson may have potential but he has to learn to play a little defense. He is constantly out of position on defense. Lydon had the ball taken right out of his hands on rebounds at least twice. The good news is that we start playing The Little Sisters of the Poor again.

Second game in a row where Lydon has gotten lazy on a rebound and essentially passed it to the other team. We are just not strong with the ball. It's surprising when Lydon does it though.

We may have seen the last of Chukwu.

I mentioned this in the game thread: on the and-one by Gillon, they showed the SU bench celebrating. Not Frank Howard. He looked miserable. Was he not pleased his fellow point guard made a great play? This team needs to come together. They are really not playing well together.

SoBeCuse said:

Well, if Thompson is injured -- and he certainly appears injury prone -- that leaves us with seven players.

Maybe Moyer doesn't redshirt.

I hope so. Honestly, he's terrible. He does nothing well. What was he doing this last year on the Hill?

The ultimate play for me tonight with this guy was on the press. You know he was brought in to be the ultimate rim protector on the press, right? I've been hearing about that for a year. So what does he do? He runs up to half-court to try and get a loose ball, which he wasn't close on. So, two passes, and Wisconsin gets one of the easiest dunks they will get all year. Perfect.

I mentioned this in the game thread: on the and-one by Gillon, they showed the SU bench celebrating. Not Frank Howard. He looked miserable. Was he not pleased his fellow point guard made a great play? This team needs to come together. They are really not playing well together.
Yikes. Those are some good eyes right there. Damn near impossible to win a 'ship with attitudes like that.

That was the bigger lack of chemistry signal in this game.

I hope so. Honestly, he's terrible. He does nothing well. What was he doing this last year on the Hill?

The ultimate play for me tonight with this guy was on the press. You know he was brought in to be the ultimate rim protector on the press, right? I've been hearing about that for a year. So what does he do? He runs up to half-court to try and get a loose ball, which he wasn't close on. So, two passes, and Wisconsin gets one of the easiest dunks they will get all year. Perfect.

Right. That and the under the basket pump fake then rocket pass to the corner instead of the dunk.

Second game in a row where Lydon has gotten lazy on a rebound and essentially passed it to the other team. We are just not strong with the ball. It's surprising when Lydon does it though.

This revealed a deeper problem than just the careless turnover. Early in the year we finally seemed to be coming out of the dark ages as far as pushing the ball upcourt with a number of different ballhandlers. When our offense is a disaster, you'd think we'd take every transition opportunity we can get.

Instead that's disappeared in two games. When Lydon had an outlet opportunity and a possible advantage, what'd he do? Made a short lateral pass to the point guard (under the opponent's basket, no less). Frustrating.

Well, if Thompson is injured -- and he certainly appears injury prone -- that leaves us with seven players.

Maybe Moyer doesn't redshirt.

Moyer is far further away than anybody else on the roster.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxfan516

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom