One of our board members lost a good friend | Syracusefan.com

One of our board members lost a good friend

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
Today is a sad day for a member of our board, Ray in Virginia. Overnight he lost one of his best friends, John Ambrose, to ALS, better known as Lou Gerhig's disease.

Both Ray and John had served in the military together.

It was in the fall of 2012 that John was diagnosed with fast moving ALS. The doctors gave him about a year to live.

One day while visiting his friend, Ray was shown John's bucket list. He was from Pittsburgh originally so what Ray saw surprised him,"Attend a Syracuse game at the Carrier Dome."

Within a short time I received a call from Ray who related that story.

A phone call and an email latter, arrangements were made for John to not only attend a game at the Dome but to sit court-side in CTO's seats!!

Tomcat had been scheduled to attend the December 3rd Eastern Michigan game. He kindly deferred with Joyce's blessings.

Ray and his wife Carol drove John and Sis (Cecila) up from Virginia. From my seats in section 107 I saw a beaming man getting one of his top bucket list wishes fulfilled.

At half time I brought Otto over for a picture session, John got a big kick out of our accommodating fuzzy mascot.

As time passed John's condition continued to deteriorate but he did not let that deter him from completing his list.

There were trips to exotic places and such. Just last week John asked Ray if he would take him to the meeting of their club.

Last night the insidious disease shut down his breathing and John passed unto eternal rest.

My condolences go out to John's wife Cecila, their family and both Ray and Carol who loved him like a brother.

RIP John, a courageous man that I was blessed to have had the pleasure of meeting.

Last edited:
My sincerest condolences to Ray and to John's family. While I've never met them, I am very familiar with ALS. I lost my youngest brother to this hideous disease 9 years ago. Still hurts to think about everything he went through.

Hats off to Ray, CTO, Eyes, Tomcat and all for stepping up. The people on this board continue to amaze me.

Today is a sad day for a member of our board, Ray in Virginia. Overnight he lost one of his best friends, John Ambrose, to ALS, better known as Lou Gerhig's disease.

Both Ray and John had served in the military together.

It was in the fall of 2012 that John was diagnosed with fast moving ALS. The doctors gave him about a year to live.

One day while visiting his friend, Ray was shown John's bucket list. He was from Pittsburgh originally so what Ray saw surprised him,"Attend a Syracuse game at the Carrier Dome."

Within a short time I received a call from Ray who related that story.

A phone call and an email latter, arrangements were made for John to not only attend a game at the Dome but to sit court-side in CTO's seats!!

Tomcat had been scheduled to attend the December 3rd Eastern Michigan game. He kindly deferred with Joyce's blessings.

Ray and his wife Carol drove John and Sis (Cecila) up from Virginia. From my seats in section 107 I saw a beaming man getting one of his top bucket list wishes fulfilled.

At half time I brought Otto over for a picture session, John got a big kick out of our accommodating fuzzy mascot.

As time passed John's condition continued to deteriorate but he did not let that deter him from completing his list.

There were trips to exotic places and such. Just last week John asked Ray if he would take him to the meeting of their club.

Last night the insidious disease shut down his breathing and John passed unto eternal rest.

My condolences go out to John's wife Cecila, their family and both Ray and Carol who loved him like a brother.

RIP John, a courageous man that I was blessed to have met.

THIS is why our board, and the people who make it what it is, are the best around. Dan, Joyce and Tomcat...just awesome. Great stuff.

I am so proud to be part of this "family".

Thank you to Orangeyes for that moving story. Thank you to Ray and John for their service. Thank you to CTO and SUTomcat for their generosity. And of course, condolences to Ray and all of John's friends and family. It's a horrible disease, I'm glad John is at peace.

Its tough to hear stuff like that, took me a while to open this thread because I knew it would be like that.

Glad to hear some good with the sad. Best to everyone including those that have passed beyond our reach.

Condolences to Ray and Carol for the loss of such a valued friend and to John's family.

The Orange nation is a bit poorer today, but I continue to be inspired by stories such as this one and the spirit of this community.

My condolences to all, my thanks to John and Ray for their service to our country, and thanks to CTO, Tomcat, and Ray for helping put an awesome check on that list. That John passed around the holidays has got to make it tough, and my thoughts and prayers for encouragement and strength go out to the family and friends.

ALS is just brutal. I've had some health issues in my day but I want no part of that.

But all you need to do is read this story and the thread about paying for kids to go to the Texas Bowl to realize we have the best board on the internet filled with awesome people (even though we can drive each other crazy at times :) )

That is such sad news. Although I never met John, I felt that I knew him because we've had a very nice email "friendship" ever since I gave him my tickets to that game. I give my tickets to a lot of people, generally for a special occasion, such as guys wanting to take their father to a particular game. Most folks are very appreciative. but I don't think anyone ever showed as much love and appreciation for them as John did. He seemed like such a gentle, sweet, brave man. My sincerest condolences to Sis, Ray and Carol.

Last edited:
cto said:
That is such sad news. Although I never met John, I felt that I knew him because we've had a very nice email "friendship" since I gave him my tickets to that game. I give my tickets to a lot of people, generally for a special occasion, such such as guys wanting to take their father to a particular game. Most folks are very appreciative. but I don't think anyone ever showed as much love and appreciation for them as John did. He seemed like such a gentle, sweet, brave man. My sincerest condolences to Sis, Ray and Carol.

Is there a love button?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom