One of the absolute biggest losses on this team | Syracusefan.com

One of the absolute biggest losses on this team

Don

2nd String
Is the loss of maybe the best punt returner this school ever had in Brisly Estime. I think he set us up to win several games , with late game punt returns or momentum turning punt returns. AET was the biggest part of the offense but the loss of Brisly has clearly been felt. I think Riley might be pretty go on kickoffs but the difference between him and Brisly on punt returns is almost immeasurable.

I could see Brisly taking on to the house on almost any punt return, to be honest I'm worried about them taking Riley out of the house on strether on any punt teturn.

A good punt returner can change a game totally around, can totally change field position, etc etc. We are missing Brisly and it's hurting us and not just because of the muffled punt last week, any returner can fumble a punt it happens , but not many can change a game and we could have used that last week or any week.

Quinton Spotwood says hello.

I understand your point though, Brisly had the game-changing moves and speed. It's pretty amazing that we had to go nearly 20 years between Spotwood and Estime for legitimate punt returners. We play in a frigging Dome.

A big issue on punt returns is the blocking up front...there is none! Riley has no chance to return a punt with 5-6 guys barring down.

We need blockers. Which is why I THOUGHT having Shy paired with Riley on KR's was so smart. Guess not? I would've enjoyed seeing him lay someone out.

A big issue on punt returns is the blocking up front...there is none! Riley has no chance to return a punt with 5-6 guys barring down.
This has been a problem for a couple of years, and I really don't understand why. As soon as our PR catches the ball they are set upon by the opposing team.

We need blockers. Which is why I THOUGHT having Shy paired with Riley on KR's was so smart. Guess not? I would've enjoyed seeing him lay someone out.
I would have too. Unfortunately in this special teams design his assignments are what they are.

I had a guy sitting behind me that kept saying, Run the damn ball and stop fair catching it." It is very hard to not fair catch when you look up and see nothing but 4 or 5 guys right there in your face.

KO returns looked good on Saturday. We should focus on the things that didn't go so well.

KO returns looked good on Saturday. We should focus on the things that didn't go so well.

Yeah - I was pretty happy with the returns. He's getting better at finding seams.

I was saying we need blockers in general. Mentioned Shy because I thought it was an example of heading in the right direction in one small part of our game.

I'm also in the camp of hoping Elmore sees much more time at HB/FB.

I would have too. Unfortunately in this special teams design his assignments are what they are.

Has Shy ever tried to play RB/FB at SU since he is a good blocker and a pretty strong kid I'd be curious to see him back there.

Has Shy ever tried to play RB/FB at SU since he is a good blocker and a pretty strong kid I'd be curious to see him back there.
There was some talk with coaches last year about some goal line plays he would come into the back field. He actually talked to Dino about it in December and thought he would get a shot at that this spring but didn't get a chance to do it. I would like to see that also lol.

There was some talk with coaches last year about some goal line plays he would come into the back field. He actually talked to Dino about it in December and thought he would get a shot at that this spring but didn't get a chance to do it. I would like to see that also lol.

Have him back there with Elmore and Pierre...be a fun watch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom