One of the worst 30 points | Syracusefan.com

One of the worst 30 points

You can have. Love the attitude.

Wow, the first since Melo(1)? That itself is something worth consideration.

This kid has a certain type of fire within him that is not very common. If he can get it to fully translate, watch out.

Last edited:
Hard not to love that kid. Played extremely hard. I'd argue that it's pretty impressive for a kid who's 6-foot and not overly athletic to have 30 on a night when he only made 1 three. When those shots start to fall he's going to create a lot of problems.

Girard scored 30 and made exactly one 3. I read on the board yesterday that he couldn't get in the lane LOL.
Lending credibility to many of the posts on this board is fool's gold.

JGIII has almost completed his first time through the ACC playing against it's top defensive PG's including Tre Jones. Imo, he has more than held his own. Even Jones had difficulty staying in front of him.

Usually Joe concentrates on running the half court sets. Last night JB had to turn JGIII loose because of the Eli injury and Buddy's sub par performance. I think JGIII is just scratching the surface of what he can do.

Kudos to Quincy and Jesse! It's amazing what young players can accomplish when allowed to play through mistakes without looking over their shoulders.

He has a feel that we haven't seen from a number of past more athletic players that we had high hopes for. Quite often that is innate and can't be taught. I like this kid, heat check shots and all.

My first response in seeing this thread title:

A - I am going to EVISCERATE whatever dumbass mouth-breathing poster actually thinks this
B - I am then going to put them on IGNORE.

The fact that Joe thinks this about his game is awesome. :cool:
He's all about winning, and doesn't care a whit about stats, other than that they lead to a W.

Who ever would have thought that if JGIII went for 30 this year, that he'd be 1/10 from 3??
I would have imagined a Dirty South vs Arkansas sorta game, where he went to plaid from 3.

At one point, JGIII was 7/9 from 2, and many of those were not easy looks.
REALLY nice to see him driving so effectively, and drawing fouls expertly.

Sadly, the end of the game saw his only TO, several more missed 3's, and only 1/3 from 2.
But - we never would have been anywhere near to in the game at all, if not for him carrying us for 35 minutes prior to that.

He stepped up without Eli as did QG. Buddy had a rough night and JB screwed him not giving him a few minutes to reset and play Brycen. That was the game.

He was clearly exhausted the last 5 minutes or so of the game. This undoubtedly hurt his game down the stretch.

JB needs to spell him for at least a few each half, especially when he is constantly tasked with bringing the ball up the court against the press.

He was clearly exhausted the last 5 minutes or so of the game. This undoubtedly hurt his game down the stretch.

JB needs to spell him for at least a few each half, especially when he is constantly tasked with bringing the ball up the court against the press.
He’s got great endurance but I also saw him losing a step late and taking breathers.

Lending credibility to many of the posts on this board is fool's gold.

JGIII has almost completed his first time through the ACC playing against it's top defensive PG's including Tre Jones. Imo, he has more than held his own. Even Jones had difficulty staying in front of him.

Usually Joe concentrates on running the half court sets. Last night JB had to turn JGIII loose because of the Eli injury and Buddy's sub par performance. I think JGIII is just scratching the surface of what he can do.

Kudos to Quincy and Jesse! It's amazing what young players can accomplish when allowed to play through mistakes without looking over their shoulders.

It reminds me of Pearl's junior season. For 2 1/2 years he'd been scoring about 15 points a game, more in the big games. Dick Vitale used to say that he was disappointed that he didn't score more. Then Rony Seikaly and Raf Addison got hurt and Pearl had to take over the scoring load. Down the stretch that year he scored 25 points a game and Vitale said that he was finally living up to his talent. In fact, his role had changed. he no longer looked to distribute the ball. He was looking to score.

Joe proved last night that he has the ability to take over a game if we need him to do that.

JB clearly didn't trust anyone but Marek and Joe with bringing the ball up last night so Joe couldn't sit. I know he was going to go Goodine and Giard for a hot second, but once NC State started extending the floor Joe wasn't coming out of the game. I'm surprised the HOWASH supporters have not been asking where he was for at least a few spot minutes.

JB clearly didn't trust anyone but Marek and Joe with bringing the ball up last night so Joe couldn't sit. I know he was going to go Goodine and Giard for a hot second, but once NC State started extending the floor Joe wasn't coming out of the game. I'm surprised the HOWASH supporters have not been asking where he was for at least a few spot minutes.

Ha. A fun question for Thursday's coach's show. Hey coach, with all the aggressive ball pressure Joe was facing and it being quite taxing on him, along with Buddy basically doing his best to help State get the W, why not put Washington in for a few minutes at the point, move Joe to the 2 and sit your boy? Not only would that take a little heat off Joe bringing up the ball continuously, etc., but we also get better on D with Buddy out. State hitting some big 3's late may have been avoided too if Howard was in for your boy, no? ;):)

If anyone thinks a freshmen will beat out Girard as a senior point guard is in for a rude awakening. At that point In his career he should not be moved off the point. He’s the first guard in a long time I don’t worry about handling the ball against pressure.

Ha. A fun question for Thursday's coach's show. Hey coach, with all the aggressive ball pressure Joe was facing and it being quite taxing on him, along with Buddy basically doing his best to help State get the W, why not put Washington in for a few minutes at the point, move Joe to the 2 and sit your boy? Not only would that take a little heat off Joe bringing up the ball continuously, etc., but we also get better on D with Buddy out. State hitting some big 3's late may have been avoided too if Howard was in for your boy, no? ;):)
I'm not in the HOWASH army - I think Eli is our backup PG, but with him not available the question can be asked.

If we put Washington in the game I think they double Girard and he isn’t able to score.

I think the move should have been Goodine, Marek to the 5 and Buddy to the 3.

Last edited:
absolutely mind boggling to think he was 1/10 from 3. Most were good looks (id argue the make was the worst of the looks). Last night could have been REALLY special had he hit 3 or 4 of those.

And his rebounding!! Most of the 5 were in traffic.