One question I have | Syracusefan.com

One question I have

pearl31

in cahoots
Sorry to start another thread on the topic, but I didn't see this specifically addressed yet...

Did the university fall short of it's legal and/or moral duty by not going straight to city or state police in 2005 when the allegations emerged?

Sorry to start another thread on the topic, but I didn't see this specifically addressed yet...

Did the university fall short of it's legal and/or moral duty by not going straight to city or state police in 2005 when the allegations emerged?

If they didn't go to cops, then of course they fell short

who told them to go looking ? the police already knew and maybe they knew that as well.

the accuser told the university that the police declined to prosecute.

obviously no one can know that right now.

attached is what I found on the statute of limitations. If the guy is 39 years old and he didn't report it to the police until he was 31. From the article it sounds like what Dennis Duval and the SPD told him is true. It means that the university which launched its own investigation in 2005 might have done it like the judicial board can expel or punish students for breaking rules despite the student not being criminally liable. I imagine the University hopefully would have investigated thoroughly at the very least in 2005 to protect and limit their own civil liability. What I'm confused about is the current SPD investigation- I'm glad they doing it - the entire truth needs to be revealed regardless of the guys' age etc - but I'm wondering on what grounds? Can they really legally do anything?

http://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/new-yorks-statute-of-limitations-on-sexual-abuse.html

attached is what I found on the statute of limitations. If the guy is 39 years old and he didn't report it to the police until he was 31. From the article it sounds like what Dennis Duval and the SPD told him is true. It means that the university which launched its own investigation in 2005 might have done it like the judicial board can expel or punish students for breaking rules despite the student not being criminally liable. I imagine the University hopefully would have investigated thoroughly at the very least in 2005 to protect and limit their own civil liability. What I'm confused about is the current SPD investigation- I'm glad they doing it - the entire truth needs to be revealed regardless of the guys' age etc - but I'm wondering on what grounds? Can they really legally do anything?

http://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/new-yorks-statute-of-limitations-on-sexual-abuse.html

My thought is they could open the investigation to see if there are other alleged victims. The statute of limitations situation doesn't change.

Was wondering this too.
Are the police interviewing the accuser to make sure nothing happened more recent than the SOL?
Are they looking for other possible victims?
Otherwise, as I saw the DA say in one of the PS updates, they aren't able to pursue a case for anything that happned when the accuser is saying it happened.