One thing I am not going to use todays game to assess | Syracusefan.com

One thing I am not going to use todays game to assess

rrlbees

Have you donated to an SU NIL collective?
Staff member
Is outside shooting. Regardless of how good or bad it is, being outdoors with some wind, we could go 0 for the game from 3 and I'm not going to worry about it. Different kind of dynamics playing this game and how it might impact shooting. We have a good shooting team, that I know, so this is a throw away game in any assessment of that.

This favors us. We will be able to pack in the zone and dare SDSU to shoot it with the wind. Hopefully they settle.

This favors us. We will be able to pack in the zone and dare SDSU to shoot it with the wind. Hopefully they settle.

I wouldn't be surprised a bit if I saw SDSU playing zone at one point.

I want to see triche and mcw feeding the post and a lot of high low game between Rak and DC2

Is outside shooting. Regardless of how good or bad it is, being outdoors with some wind, we could go 0 for the game from 3 and I'm not going to worry about it. Different kind of dynamics playing this game and how it might impact shooting. We have a good shooting team, that I know, so this is a throw away game in any assessment of that.

Good point. Shooting outside is much much harder. Without knowing too much against SDSU, I would guess this favors us. Hopefully MCW and Triche do a good job of making moves toward the hoop.

I'm just hopeful that James doesn't adjust his form and lose his rhythm. Would hate to see one of those situations like when a ballplayer's swing gets knocked out of whack during the Home Run Derby and goes into a slump after the break.

Unless its windy being outside has no factor, youre putting to much emphasis on that.

Can't really assess much at all from today's game.

Unless its windy being outside has no factor, youre putting to much emphasis on that.
Ever hear of something called the sun?

I want to see 25+ fastbreak pts. created from the zone and long misses

Well, the first two rules of the SU zone D are "Everyone moves on every pass," and "Defend the 3 point shot." That's why when the offense reverses or skip passes across the top, the forward/wing in the hole has to pop out until the guard gets over. But I'd think outdoors (and to the point), it's more important to just close out the shooter.

Except James is also concerned about the sun being in eyes when on one side of the court. This game won't tell us anything about shooting. Have to pound it inside all say.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Right now, game time looks like 67 degrees, no wind. Just a floor that moves a little.
It's not as much about wind (although that can play a part) as it is sight lines. Having empty space behind the backboard coupled with sun and the occasional gust of wind makes shooting outside much more difficult than in a climate controlled gym with visually consistent sight lines. Out of the one and a half carrier games that have been played (granted not statistically overwhelming evidence) teams have shot a collective 21.4% from behind the three point line. That's 13% less than the two year three point percentage for all of college basketball of 34.28%.

Like I said, it's a tiny sample size but it seems to bear out the "play outside, shoot worse from three" theory. With that said watch the Aztecs go 12-21 or some such from behind the line.

It's not as much about wind (although that can play a part) as it is sight lines. Having empty space behind the backboard coupled with sun and the occasional gust of wind makes shooting outside much more difficult than in a climate controlled gym with visually consistent sight lines. Out of the one and a half carrier games that have been played (granted not statistically overwhelming evidence) teams have shot a collective 21.4% from behind the three point line. That's 13% less than the two year three point percentage for all of college basketball of 34.28%.

Like I said, it's a tiny sample size but it seems to bear out the "play outside, shoot worse from three" theory. With that said watch the Aztecs go 12-21 or some such from behind the line.

Nice explanation. The team feels the same way. Not sure why a few posters think there is no difference outside. I guess they think James ia making excuses when he says the sun is in their eyes. I don't expect as many 3's taken nor made.

I wonder if playing in the great open expanse of the Dome helps us with the empty space behind the basket in the outdoor court.

Remember when you were a kid and just played whereever/whenever the game was; hopefully our players won't spend time thinking about relatively minor factors that impact both teams similarly and just play.

I wonder what is better for James in a windy enviroment, his new formed lower arcing shot or his momentum high arcing fast release of last year. Cooney and Fair have a pretty high arc as well, while Triche and MCW have a lower one.

I imagine the higher the ball the more strength it will have to not be pushed off course, but the lower will have a lighter touch and not as far to get pushed off course.

Nice explanation. The team feels the same way. Not sure why a few posters think there is no difference outside. I guess they think James ia making excuses when he says the sun is in their eyes. I don't expect as many 3's taken nor made.

Dont believe the hype just play the game.

And even though nobody on board can feel it, the waves do gently move the carrier back and forth on even the calmest of days. Like a pitched baseball that doesn't hit the mitt until the Earth has moved a bit, a jump shot on deck should likewise be expected to move in something other than a beeline (even though the target is what's moving).

I should mention, though, that since ships rock back and forth, the seemingly driven-off-course jump shot might actually correct itself once or twice during the flight of the ball.

Maybe we should instead worry how this phenomenon will affect Keita's mitts.

I'm more worried about the sharks. If the ball goes overboard, make the zebras fetch it.

Based on all the hype I've heard on Cooney, I expect his shot to be wind resistant up to F5. If he misses even one I am going to go off the deep end and start a "Sky is Falling" thread. I'm serious.

PS says the wind is now gusting and that from in front of the bench ar one end the sun is right in their eyes.

maybe they will hit the shots they normally would have missed

Dont believe the hype just play the game.

Hope you are watching pre-game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom