One thing not mentioned from Pitt ... | Syracusefan.com

One thing not mentioned from Pitt ...

TheOrangeBuddha

Scout Team
Sunseri.

The Pitt fans were simply horrid. They were brutal on this kid. Anytime he came onto the field the entire fan base booed VERY loudly. It was rather disgusting to be honest. I don't care how bad the kid is playing, if the coach is running him back out there, frickin' show him some support. Hell, they had a 20-10 lead at half and the Pitt team was treated to lustful boos as they went to the locker room.

I really don't know how you convince some recruit and his parents to go there ... as soon as your kid starts playing poorly (or more importantly if the public perceives that he is playing poorly), they will turn on him like no other.

Sunseri.

The Pitt fans were simply horrid. They were brutal on this kid. Anytime he came onto the field the entire fan base booed VERY loudly. It was rather disgusting to be honest. I don't care how bad the kid is playing, if the coach is running him back out there, frickin' show him some support. Hell, they had a 20-10 lead at half and the Pitt team was treated to lustful boos as they went to the locker room.

I really don't know how you convince some recruit and his parents to go there ... as soon as your kid starts playing poorly (or more importantly if the public perceives that he is playing poorly), they will turn on him like no other.

Pittsburgh is a very strange place.

Radio sports talk shows feature the "Stillers" 12 months a year. That's every single day of the entire year there are people on Pittsburgh radio stations yammering away about the "Stillers".

Western PA kind of thinks it invented football. Or at the least, they think that its the football capital of the world.

So in spite of Pitt's rather thin resume over the past 20 years, the expectations are sky high. So they feel entitled to boo.

That being said, if you watched this year's Backyard Brawl", he really did have a horrible day. Really, really bad. He looked worse in that game than Nassib did in any game in 2011.

IMO the boos at the end of the half were due to the god awful clock management.

Pitt has such a tiny fanbase. Besides when they play ND or WV has anyone seen a true 40k at a Pitt game?

I realize it was under a different coaching staff (Wanny & Cavanaugh), but I'll always think of Pitt as the school that started Tyler Palko over Joe Flacco (thus prompting his move to Delaware). IMO it was all about giving preference to a western PA kid.

Wait, you're saying that there were enough people in that stadium to create an audible noise?

Stunning.

The ACC must have watched that game in abject horror.

Sunseri.

That's 2 teams we played on the road in the last 4 games who had a QB booed both on and off the field.

Sigh, both of those teams won.

At least the Louisville fans love their QB. I assume they do, I wish we had a guy like that with his upside.

We noticed that too. Really bizarre...boing your quarterback when you're up ten at the half. Their fans are really really bad.

If anybody ever complains about the game day atmosphere again at the Dome, just do yourselves a favor and go to a Pitt football game. It never fails to be a horrendous game-day environment every single time I am there. When the singing of "Sweet Caroline" gets the loudest ovation of the day, you know there are fan issues. You could hear a pin drop on pretty much every third down of the game. I think its very difficult for the Panthers to gain any momentum sharing a city with the Stillers. They really overshadow the Panthers (and everything else in that city for that matter).

That said, I still really enjoy going back to Pittsburgh each and every year. Really good city.

IMO the boos at the end of the half were due to the god awful clock management.

Pitt has such a tiny fanbase. Besides when they play ND or WV has anyone seen a true 40k at a Pitt game?

And the only reason they reach 40k against WVU is because the WVU fans travel in hordes to that game

Agreed, that was my first trip for an SU football game at Pitt. Awful atmosphere. Out lot was empty and somebody stole my table.
I am sick of losing to Pitt, we need to beat the crap out of them in the dome.

I have often wondered how teams recruit kids to a stadium like Pitt. Cavernous and empty is even worse than rarely full but small and rarely loud (dome). I guess all this proves is if my 4 catches as a receiver in 9th grade had netted me a ton of recruiting buzz, I would have been taking my visits elsewhere.

Something else not mentioned after watching the game a second time where the three awful calls by the refs that cost us 6 points. First was the Spruill helmet to helmet call where he never hit Sunseri's helmet. That led to a FG. Second was the helmet to helmet call on Fisher where he used his hands to hit Sunseri's shoulder pad. Same drive was the total BS catch on 3rd and long. First how the hell does the ref call that a catch? Second how was it not over turned. Guys arm came down flat. That led to a FG and was a huge momentum play Score was 20-17 at that point and would have forced a punt.

Also I would like to know where the hell Kobena was on the opening KO. Why was Graham getting there first when he was coming all teh way across the field?

Why did Rene call a FC at the 5?

The D was out schemed all game. They gave the ball to their RBs in space all day and we had to have our Ss come flying up to make open field tackles. That is a lot to ask of them. Also on run plays our LBs always seem to be going the wrong way. Either they have no clue how to find their keys (bad LB coaching) or they are doing it by design and we are relying on our FS to come flying up from the secondary to make a difficult open field tackle (asking too much). This has been going on all three years under Shafer so I have to think it is by design. Which IMO is part of the reason for our struggles (not just talent).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom