One thing that annoys me | Syracusefan.com

One thing that annoys me

tep624

Living Legend
Is the media's insistence on using the term "victim" when an accusation is made. It automatically insinuates guilt upon the accused. If there is a victim, then you are assuming that something happened to the person making the accusation. I really wish there would be more restraint with that term being thrown around, at least until thee is an indictment or formal charges. Then at least some accepted authority reviewed the evidence and decided there was enough of it for a case. This isn't unique to the Bernie Fine case and I don't understand why it's tolerated. To me, it's slanderous at best.

the thing that annoys me is the use of the term scandal. Shouldn't it have to be proven true before it becomes a scandal?

Agreed with both. Not sure how difficult it is to say "the accuser."

Definitely agree with both. Every term used only paints a guilty picture, particularly when they fail to use words like "alleged."

Yeah. Also notice how the accusations are rarely prefaced with the term "alleged". They are usually stated as though it was fact.

While you will probably try to counter, the same logic applies with PSU. We, meaning the public and media, have already convicted Sandusky and even Obama is referring to the accusers/complainants as victims.

Again, I'm just pointing out that the term "victim", as the OP states, is premature.