One year ago today... | Syracusefan.com

One year ago today...

RF2044

Living Legend
...I was en route to Chicago to see Syracuse take on Gonzaga for a shot to advance to the elite 8. Crazy how time flies.

Waiting to board my flight at the Minneapolis airport, I happened to be sitting across from some guy decked out in UVa gear. He looked at my orange and blue garb and asked if I was a Virginia fan. When I explained that I root for Syracuse, it prompted a smug smirk, with him informing me that he was hoping we beat Gonzaga, since they'd beaten us several times in a row and it figured to be an easier game for his team. You know, matchups and all.

Good times! Those two games in Chicago--ESPECIALLY the game against UVa, where the guy from the airport had what he wanted explode in his face--were some of the best games I've ever been too.

Sad we didn't get to experience it again this year.

I was at both games too. Definitely the best games I'd ever seen in person and arguably, two of the best Syracuse games I'd ever watched. A Virginia fan and his son sitting in front of my friend and I was so confident they were going win he declared to his son he would starting rooting for Syracuse. Thanks for the support Virginia fans.

Not even joking here.

A year ago today I was also on my way to the sweet 16. I found out the day before I flew that I had been upgraded to first class. Decked head to toe in Cuse gear, I took my seat. Dude next to me was in a Virginia polo. We talked basketball for a while, and discussed the possibilities of meeting up in the E8 game.

Man, I wish he was on my flight back to Alaska too.

...I was en route to Chicago to see Syracuse take on Gonzaga for a shot to advance to the elite 8. Crazy how time flies.

Waiting to board my flight at the Minneapolis airport, I happened to be sitting across from some guy decked out in UVa gear. He looked at my orange and blue garb and asked if I was a Virginia fan. When I explained that I root for Syracuse, it prompted a smug smirk, with him informing me that he was hoping we beat Gonzaga, since they'd beaten us several times in a row and it figured to be an easier game for his team. You know, matchups and all.

Good times! Those two games in Chicago--ESPECIALLY the game against UVa, where the guy from the airport had what he wanted explode in his face--were some of the best games I've ever been too.

That's great. This year we happened to have a Virginia grad sitting behind us with his two kids, one of them was considering Syracuse for college and had done the school tour that day.

The Virginia grad was feeling good with the way the game was going but then as the tide turned, and the dome was really rocking, he was mumbling some not so good things about our team which he felt was not as talented and very lucky against his much more talented team.

Obviously, we won JAB's 1000th that day and after the game, I turned around and just said "crazy, huh!!!". He had no response as his day was ruined. I asked his son what he thought about the game, the dome and the school. He was definitely much more impressed than his dad was.

And people want JB fired. Sad really.

was it this guy?

virginia-hit-a-shot-so-good-it-turned-their-bench-into-a-human-meme_1.jpg

Not even joking here.

A year ago today I was also on my way to the sweet 16. I found out the day before I flew that I had been upgraded to first class. Decked head to toe in Cuse gear, I took my seat. Dude next to me was in a Virginia polo. We talked basketball for a while, and discussed the possibilities of meeting up in the E8 game.

Man, I wish he was on my flight back to Alaska too.
Free drinks!!

I was at the Gonzaga game with my 15 year old. She had to keep me from having a nervous breakdown several times, especially when Cooney got the horrible foot on the line call against him. What an amazing game. Since I live in Chicagoland, I had hit up CBS through my job months earlier for tickets, not knowing who would be playing at the UC. I still can't believe how lucky I was when the bracket came out and when MSU got bumped in the first round

The Gonzaga win was arguably one of the greatest nights of my life. Celebrated with the whole fraternity.

Cusetroop, I'm behind you staring at the Jumbotron.
View attachment 93890

haha that's awesome!

Man, just thinking about that night gives me a grin from ear to ear. I never take photos with an open mouth smile. I mean, never. You could go through the thousands of facebook pictures I have, and not find more than 3. I couldn't help it though, when this picture was taken.

A year ago today, an erupting volcano had me stuck in Anchorage for 3 days. Extremely hungover, my debit card still in Chicago, at the hotel bar, and I still was grinning ear to ear.

haha that's awesome!

Man, just thinking about that night gives me a grin from ear to ear. I never take photos with an open mouth smile. I mean, never. You could go through the thousands of facebook pictures I have, and not find more than 3. I couldn't help it though, when this picture was taken.

A year ago today, an erupting volcano had me stuck in Anchorage for 3 days. Extremely hungover, my debit card still in Chicago, at the hotel bar, and I still was grinning ear to ear.

I also threw up in an ally in Chicago on the way to the airport a year ago today.. because of umm.. celebrations