One year PG rentals (and redshirts) | Syracusefan.com

One year PG rentals (and redshirts)

PoppyHart

All American
Who are the potential Mark Lyons' for next year? That is, a guy (usually from a mid-major) who can take advantage of the immediate transfer upon graduating. Do we even want a 4th guard, given JB's aversion to playing all four? This year we had only 3, but Triche and MCW had significant ball handling experience. Next year, it looks like only Ennis.

On a related note, with CJ almost certainly getting 38+ minutes in meaningful games, and Grant projected to break through, how is there time to play X-mas, Coleman, Keita, Roberson, and Obokoh, and Johnson? I'm assuming Obokoh redshirts, but what about Keita or Johnson or even Coleman?

Johnson will be playing 2/3 so he really won't overlap TOO much, and frankly he probably won't get more than 5-10 minutes per game either way. There's certainly a logjam at 3/4/5 though.

And I also don't see JB ever taking a "rental" for a year either.

By this time next year, probably earlier, everyone will be complaining that we should have recruited a backup point.

Count on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By this time next year, probably earlier, everyone will be complaining that we should have recruited a backup point.

Count on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We did, his name was Rysheed Jordan.

I may certainly be wrong, but my hunch is (and always has been) that if MCW leaves after this year, then so will RAK.

Not saying that is a good decision at all (not even sure where he'd be going to), just that I can see it happening. (Similar to a Jonny Flynn leaving, so Paul Harris leaving too situation)

I may certainly be wrong, but my hunch is (and always has been) that if MCW leaves after this year, then so will RAK.

Not saying that is a good decision at all (not even sure where he'd be going to), just that I can see it happening. (Similar to a Jonny Flynn leaving, so Paul Harris leaving too situation)

He's not jumping ship to the NBA...so where will he go? Transfer? Overseas? Just leave the program?

He's not even on the NBA draft top 100 big board!

http://nbadraft.net/ranking/bigboard

Michael Dixon, guard from Missouri who got in trouble and kicked off the team is looking for a second chance to play his last year somewhere next year. He was a starter on the 2 seed that lost in the first round last year. I'd be shocked if he comes here but it'd be an interesting option.

Who are the potential Mark Lyons' for next year? That is, a guy (usually from a mid-major) who can take advantage of the immediate transfer upon graduating. Do we even want a 4th guard, given JB's aversion to playing all four? This year we had only 3, but Triche and MCW had significant ball handling experience. Next year, it looks like only Ennis.

On a related note, with CJ almost certainly getting 38+ minutes in meaningful games, and Grant projected to break through, how is there time to play X-mas, Coleman, Keita, Roberson, and Obokoh, and Johnson? I'm assuming Obokoh redshirts, but what about Keita or Johnson or even Coleman?
The roster, as a whole, will be (over?)stocked at every position but the point. And we are on thin ice there.

How about a juco who can qualify to be a backup right away? I looked online and didn't see a lot of options.

when researching a trevor cooney post down below i did pull up a list of the top JUCO 3 point shooters and found over 50 players listed shooting above 42%. including some kid named newbold(sp?) who's shooting well over 50% deep and who quote "dreams of playing in the ncaa tourney someday."

Ah Tanner Newbold, 6'1' from Utah plays at Central Wyoming, where he hits nearly 52% from 3. Looks like Trevor's brother. LOL

believe the article said his brother played at utah maybe. i dunno too lazy to go back. probable destination.

this little JUCO PG also shoots 50% from 3; at Hillsborough

He's not jumping ship to the NBA...so where will he go? Transfer? Overseas? Just leave the program?

He's not even on the NBA draft top 100 big board!

http://nbadraft.net/ranking/bigboard

I have said this a couple times already... Rak wont be back. I have no source, it just seems like it will be the case. Grant and CJ are both MUCH better than him, and will start at the forwards. I see almost no way that he beats out Coleman for center, and Keita is the perfect back up. It just seems that Rak doesnt have a place on this team, and Jimbo has broken his spirit.

It is ok to disagree with the stance, but for anyone to claim there is NO CHANCE that rak leaves would be crazy.

Great topic, Poppy. I wouldn't be surprised to see us pull a combo guard out of thin air, both to bolster backup PG depth and to provide outside shooting.

That said, if Cooney makes a big jump in terms of his ability to contribute [which is what I expect] and / or if Patterson is ready to contribute, depth at guard might end up being fine.

But it wouldn't surprise me to see us add a foreign player or a prep school kid. We don't usually go JUCO, but who knows.

a 4th guard (juco) this year mightta made a huge difference with depth.( esp. a true zonebreaker deep threat type.) and with carter william likely leaving early the backcourt is still looking thin next year.

Interesting anyone with any knowledge if we have looked into this at all? We made out great with Kong would be nice to get a shooter to come in to help us out with so much youth next year. Great topic I concur.

Interesting anyone with any knowledge if we have looked into this at all? We made out great with Kong would be nice to get a shooter to come in to help us out with so much youth next year. Great topic I concur.

I've said it before about Kong: I know he was brought in as practice fodder--kid was a good student, solid athlete, and we had open scholarships--but thank god we had him. Who would have predicted we'd have all those injuries and he'd be pressed into duty? He was the OPPOSITE of most euros in that he was physical as hell but couldn't shoot a lick, but he played an important role his two years on the team.

Big fan of Kong's.

I've said it before about Kong: I know he was brought in as practice fodder--kid was a good student, solid athlete, and we had open scholarships--but thank god we had him. Who would have predicted we'd have all those injuries and he'd be pressed into duty? He was the OPPOSITE of most euros in that he was physical as hell but couldn't shoot a lick, but he played an important role his two years on the team.

Big fan of Kong's.
If only Roc had that kids heart, he'd be unstoppable.

Big fan of Kong's.

You remember that game against Marquette with the steal and two handed flush.. one of many favorite Kong moments. And your right that kid was huge for us. So not to reminisce too much but had a crazy coincidence over the Christmas Holidays. A friend of mine just had gotten married and he and his new wife ( who is from Belgium) were going through some older pictures of each of their families. Turns out part of her family are from Kristof's hometown and there was a picture in there where I had a "noooo way" moment with Kong in it sitting with his wife and a few others on a couch. Anyways turns out her family knew his family well and actually spent time together etc. Just a crazy coincidence. They both just looked at me like I was crazy went I pointed and went.. KONG!.

On another note - would love to get a gritty player like him at the guard spot who could hit a few shots and provide some experience.

This is all interesting but will we have a ship available?

ummm...

A quick search for assists leaders provides 4 interesting candidates:

1. Jason Brickman (Jr.) - Long Island University; 6', 185

The Good: What's not to like about a PG named "Brickman"? Well, he leads the country in assists, shoots 79% from the line, 45.8% from 3, and has NCAA tourney experience.
Seems ideal if he could handle a back-up/platoon role.

The Bad: Only 6-0. Who knows if he would graduate in 3 years though?

2. Chaz Williams (Redshirt Jr. ) - UMASS; 5'9, 175

The Good: 5th in assists (7.4 per game), and can fill it up (15.5 PPG). 76.1% from the line, 35.8 from 3. As a redshirt junior, he is much likely to be eligible for immediate transfer. From the Bronx, so may be a Cuse fan.

The Bad: Only 5'9. Would need to temper his chucking nature (12.9 and 11.8 shots per game last two seasons). Could be our Aquille Carr for 1 year. Maybe a Michael Edwards off the bench, for better or worse.

3. DeAndre Kane (Redshirt Jr.) Marshall; 6'4, 195

The Good: 10 in assists (6.9). Excellent size at 6'4. Redshirt Junior, so more likely to graduate in May. CUSA frosh of year in 2011. Finds ways to score (14.9 ppg).

The Bad: Can't shoot a lick. 24.8% from 3, 51.3% from the line. Yet he shoots 13.6 times a game (down from 14.3 last year), which suggests bad shot selection/decision making. A/TO only 1.7

4. Alex Abreu (Jr.) - Akron; 5'10, 175

The Good: 5.9 assists per game, 2.1 A/TO ratio. 81% from line, 38.3% from 3. More of a pure point than Kane and Williams. Will likely get tourney experience this year. From Puerto Rico, so unlikely to be tied to playing in Ohio.

The Bad: Only 5'10. May not be immediate transfer eligible.

Verdict: I like the sound of this Brickman kid.