One year PG rentals (and redshirts) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

One year PG rentals (and redshirts)

A quick search for assists leaders provides 4 interesting candidates:

1. Jason Brickman (Jr.) - Long Island University; 6', 185

The Good: What's not to like about a PG named "Brickman"? Well, he leads the country in assists, shoots 79% from the line, 45.8% from 3, and has NCAA tourney experience.
Seems ideal if he could handle a back-up/platoon role.

The Bad: Only 6-0. Who knows if he would graduate in 3 years though?

2. Chaz Williams (Redshirt Jr. ) - UMASS; 5'9, 175

The Good: 5th in assists (7.4 per game), and can fill it up (15.5 PPG). 76.1% from the line, 35.8 from 3. As a redshirt junior, he is much likely to be eligible for immediate transfer. From the Bronx, so may be a Cuse fan.

The Bad: Only 5'9. Would need to temper his chucking nature (12.9 and 11.8 shots per game last two seasons). Could be our Aquille Carr for 1 year. Maybe a Michael Edwards off the bench, for better or worse.

3. DeAndre Kane (Redshirt Jr.) Marshall; 6'4, 195

The Good: 10 in assists (6.9). Excellent size at 6'4. Redshirt Junior, so more likely to graduate in May. CUSA frosh of year in 2011. Finds ways to score (14.9 ppg).

The Bad: Can't shoot a lick. 24.8% from 3, 51.3% from the line. Yet he shoots 13.6 times a game (down from 14.3 last year), which suggests bad shot selection/decision making. A/TO only 1.7

4. Alex Abreu (Jr.) - Akron; 5'10, 175

The Good: 5.9 assists per game, 2.1 A/TO ratio. 81% from line, 38.3% from 3. More of a pure point than Kane and Williams. Will likely get tourney experience this year. From Puerto Rico, so unlikely to be tied to playing in Ohio.

The Bad: Only 5'10. May not be immediate transfer eligible.

Verdict: I like the sound of this Brickman kid.

Thanks poppy appreciate all the info - with the brickman kid just could only hope the last name is the opposite of his shooting touch.. i kid i kid

The Good: What's not to like about a PG named "Brickman"? Well, he leads the country in assists, shoots 79% from the line, 45.8% from 3, and has NCAA tourney experience.

The Good: 5th in assists (7.4 per game), and can fill it up (15.5 PPG). 76.1% from the line, 35.8 from 3. As a redshirt junior, he is much likely to be eligible for immediate transfer. From the Bronx, so may be a Cuse fan.

The Bad: Only 5'9. Would need to temper his chucking nature (12.9 and 11.8 shots per game last two seasons). Could be our Aquille Carr for 1 year. Maybe a Michael Edwards off the bench, for better or worse.

The Good: 10 in assists (6.9). Excellent size at 6'4. Redshirt Junior, so more likely to graduate in May. CUSA frosh of year in 2011. Finds ways to score (14.9 ppg).

The Bad: Can't shoot a lick. 24.8% from 3, 51.3% from the line. Yet he shoots 13.6 times a game (down from 14.3 last year), which suggests bad shot selection/decision making. A/TO only 1.7

The Good: 5.9 assists per game, 2.1 A/TO ratio. 81% from line, 38.3% from 3. More of a pure point than Kane and Williams. Will likely get tourney experience this year. From Puerto Rico, so unlikely to be tied to playing in Ohio.

Chazz Williams isn't going anywhere, fyi.

This is all interesting but will we have a ship available?

I think we have one opening if MCW leaves. If he stays, our ball handling issues would obviously be moot.

Frosh: Roberson, Ennis, Obokoh, Johnson, Patterson
Soph: Cooney, Gbinjie, Grant, Coleman
Jr.: Xmas
Sr. Keita, Fair

Michael Dixon, guard from Missouri who got in trouble and kicked off the team is looking for a second chance to play his last year somewhere next year. He was a starter on the 2 seed that lost in the first round last year. I'd be shocked if he comes here but it'd be an interesting option.
I watched Dixon play a lot last year and he would be great at SU. Plays tough in-your-face defense, almost Aaron Craft like. Dixon is also great in transition. He'd be awesome for SU but I'm not sure SU needs another woman abuser on the team.

I may certainly be wrong, but my hunch is (and always has been) that if MCW leaves after this year, then so will RAK.

Not saying that is a good decision at all (not even sure where he'd be going to), just that I can see it happening. (Similar to a Jonny Flynn leaving, so Paul Harris leaving too situation)

interesting you should say this. i do know for a fact that rak was planning on leaving after this season before this dreadful season of his started. where was he going? no clue, but there are plenty of places all over this world he can play and make money. however that was before the season. i doubt it has been talked about again since the season started, and i have definitely not heard anything since then.

I watched Dixon play a lot last year and he would be great at SU. Plays tough in-your-face defense, almost Aaron Craft like. Dixon is also great in transition. He'd be awesome for SU but I'm not sure SU needs another woman abuser on the team.

Yeah, I think he's been accused of sexual assault on two different occasions. No interest.

I think that people look back on Kristof's time here through rose-colored glasses. For all of his 'heart' and 'hustle', the guy just really wasn't very good at basketball. The fact that he saw any playing time at all was a direct reflection of the lack of depth we had in those years. Our front court isn't exactly loaded at the moment, but I don't think he'd see a minute of playing time on this year's squad.

I think that people look back on Kristof's time here through rose-colored glasses. For all of his 'heart' and 'hustle', the guy just really wasn't very good at basketball. The fact that he saw any playing time at all was a direct reflection of the lack of depth we had in those years. Our front court isn't exactly loaded at the moment, but I don't think he'd see a minute of playing time on this year's squad.

i would love to have him and his hustle and grit this year.. it wasnt all about skill- he was a valuable guy to have

No offense, but that's not a very good assessment of his time here, or the contributions he made to the team.

Nobody said that he was the most talented player, a leading scorer, or anything along those lines. The kid won the fanbase over precisely because he played hard, showed 'heart,' and demonstrated 'hustle.'

What are we supposed to do? Disown him because he didn't make the NBA?

Poppy, just out of curiosity--beyond scouring the lower levels for redshirt juniors who put up good numbers, was there any reason for you mentioning these specific candidates? Or is this purely speculation for the sake of conversation?

Poppy, just out of curiosity--beyond scouring the lower levels for redshirt juniors who put up good numbers, was there any reason for you mentioning these specific candidates? Or is this purely speculation for the sake of conversation?

Certainly pure speculation. I have no idea if any of these kids are eligible or even contemplating leaving. Odds are probably heavily against them leaving, and apparently Williams is content at UMASS, per another poster. These guys just looked more promising than others.

As you note, the primary filter was that the player had to be a junior or preferably a redshirt junior. Otherwise, I eliminated guys from weak conferences (e.g. UNC Central, Texas Southern, Tenn St) or just didn't seem logical due to distance or some other factor (e.g. San Fran, Santa Clara).

It seems like a lot of the better 1 year kids come from places like the Horizon and A10, leagues that are respected but a notch below the big time.

No offense, but that's not a very good assessment of his time here, or the contributions he made to the team.

Nobody said that he was the most talented player, a leading scorer, or anything along those lines. The kid won the fanbase over precisely because he played hard, showed 'heart,' and demonstrated 'hustle.'

What are we supposed to do? Disown him because he didn't make the NBA?

Disown him? Of course not. Kristof seemed like a great guy and there is nothing wrong with praising him for the energy he brought to those teams. I'm not trying to hate him, I'm really not, I just don't think that people remember how limited he really was. To cite his stint here as an example of what we're looking for in future juco/transfers/etc seems off to me. The two years he spent here, he did bring something to those teams, but that was a result of circumstance. Those teams lacked depth and overall talent and frankly we just needed bodies to throw out there, so at the time I guess it was fine to give significant minutes a guy who hustled and what not but who frankly kind of sucked. I hope that we don't see ourselves in a similar situation moving forward. Hypothetically, imagine that Cooney was a juco transfer and he was playing only this one season at Syracuse. Similar to KONG, he sees minutes because we have a severe lack of depth at guard, but he's clearly not meant to be playing at this level (I'm speaking of Cooney only at his current stage; I remain optimistic that he improves down the road). Would it be accurate to remember Cooney fondly in that situation? Like Kristof, he does seem to really hustle when he's on the court.

For all of his limitations, I think Keita is a much better player than Kristof. And despite his lack of motor, Christmas is also far better. Use that as a frame of reference. I don't know if this board was around when Kristof played, but if it was I would imagine that every other post would have been ripping him. Take that for what it's worth.

Disown him? Of course not. Kristof seemed like a great guy and there is nothing wrong with praising him for the energy he brought to those teams. I'm not trying to hate him, I'm really not, I just don't think that people remember how limited he really was. To cite his stint here as an example of what we're looking for in future juco/transfers/etc seems off to me. The two years he spent here, he did bring something to those teams, but that was a result of circumstance. Those teams lacked depth and overall talent and frankly we just needed bodies to throw out there, so at the time I guess it was fine to give significant minutes a guy who hustled and what not but who frankly kind of sucked. I hope that we don't see ourselves in a similar situation moving forward. Hypothetically, imagine that Cooney was a juco transfer and he was playing only this one season at Syracuse. Similar to KONG, he sees minutes because we have a severe lack of depth at guard, but he's clearly not meant to be playing at this level (I'm speaking of Cooney only at his current stage; I remain optimistic that he improves down the road). Would it be accurate to remember Cooney fondly in that situation? Like Kristof, he does seem to really hustle when he's on the court.

For all of his limitations, I think Keita is a much better player than Kristof. And despite his lack of motor, Christmas is also far better. Use that as a frame of reference. I don't know if this board was around when Kristof played, but if it was I would imagine that every other post would have been ripping him. Take that for what it's worth.

In the context of what the OP is describing, Kong makes perfect sense. We aren't going out looking for a JUCO / transfer to come in and start; we are looking for someone to come in and contribute in a reserve / role playing capacity. Which is exactly what Kristof did during his two year stint at SU.

Again, seems like a valid comparison.

well admittedly i don't know much about duke transfer michael gbinje. exactly where does he fit in next year. how good is he really? starter ? and are we planning at using him at the 2 or more as a swing?