O'Neil out at USC...Hopper in? | Syracusefan.com

O'Neil out at USC...Hopper in?

Marsh01

Living Legend
DaveTelep Dave Telep
Got my money on USC making a run at Syracuse's Mike Hopkins. That'd be my guess.

1. I don't think Hop is leaving SU.

2. If he did take the USC job, I don't think he'd do it mid-season. So there's something to look forward to in March.

that was my first thought -- would not suprise me -- at all --

Seriously, after the SU football issue and losing coaches and recruits, I do not think I can stomach losing Hopkins. Unless JB knows that he wants to coach for a few more years and Hop wants to get some head coaching experience before taking over for JB. But I doubt he'd go.

Mike Hopkins has the golden ticket job of his life. He wants to be the basketball coach at Syracuse University, and Hopkins has a contract that guarantees himself the job once Coach Boeheim retires. Hopkins isn't going to leave where he has a young family and take a job that would result in him losing his losing his dream job unless Coach Boeheim wants to coach another 5 years. The reason is if he took another job he would be disrespectful to that University and those players by leaving them 1 or 2 years to comeback to Syracuse if Coach Boeheim retired. Look at Johnny Dawkins EVERYBODY thought he would be Coach K's replacement at Duke, and so what did he do left being the Associate Head Coach and took the job at Stanford which a small private school in a BCS conference and in 3 years has not made the NCAA tournament 1 time. Dawkins has done an average job rebuilding Stanford, but because he hasn't had the success of having Duke prestige to recruit his star isn't as bright and it is doubtful he will replace Coach K now. Hopkins isn't leaving Syracuse unless he gets a top 10 job and he knows Coach Boeheim will still be around. No need to discuss.

Mike Hopkins has the golden ticket job of his life. He wants to be the basketball coach at Syracuse University, and Hopkins has a contract that guarantees himself the job once Coach Boeheim retires. Hopkins isn't going to leave where he has a young family and take a job that would result in him losing his losing his dream job unless Coach Boeheim wants to coach another 5 years. The reason is if he took another job he would be disrespectful to that University and those players by leaving them 1 or 2 years to comeback to Syracuse if Coach Boeheim retired. Look at Johnny Dawkins EVERYBODY thought he would be Coach K's replacement at Duke, and so what did he do left being the Associate Head Coach and took the job at Stanford which a small private school in a BCS conference and in 3 years has not made the NCAA tournament 1 time. Dawkins has done an average job rebuilding Stanford, but because he hasn't had the success of having Duke prestige to recruit his star isn't as bright and it is doubtful he will replace Coach K now. Hopkins isn't leaving Syracuse unless he gets a top 10 job and he knows Coach Boeheim will still be around. No need to discuss.

are you saying that Syracuse is Hopkins' dream job?

I thought Marrone already took Hop along with every other SU coach.

I saw the title of the post and was like damn Calhoun The Hopper is coming out of retirement.

DaveTelep Dave Telep
Got my money on USC making a run at Syracuse's Mike Hopkins. That'd be my guess.
i'm in the minority here, but shouldn't we want this? let Hop get HC experience and let USC take the risk. If he's great, we can try to get him back. If not, move on to plan b. If he realistically thinks jb has another 2-3 years in him, why wouldn't be do it? it wouldn't be a confliect of interest withour recruiting territory, either.

i'm in the minority here, but shouldn't we want this? let Hop get HC experience and let USC take the risk. If he's great, we can try to get him back. If not, move on to plan b. If he realistically thinks jb has another 2-3 years in him, why wouldn't be do it? it wouldn't be a confliect of interest withour recruiting territory, either.

Completely in the dark here, but SU won't be able to keep up with USC as far as coaching $$, or no?

I absolutely would never, ever blame Hop for at least seriously looking at this job if they want to talk to him about it. Who knows how much longer JB has? The only thing is that I can't see USC making a serious push at him since they know that as soon as Jimmy retires, Hop will obviously be #1 on our list and will, I'd assume, be 99% guaranteed to bail on them and come back to the Hill.

I don't know. With Syracuse, Hop will be handed the keys to a Maserati with the Dome and among the best practice facilities in the country. We'll be playing in the ACC with Notre Dame, UNC, Duke, Pitt, Louisville and a resurgent NC State. We'll have yearly games at MSG and will live on ESPN. It's pretty hard to f*** that up.

USC, for reasons I don't understand, has never been better than mediocre as far as I can remember. Outside of Arizona, the Pac 12 sucks. Unless you're a very well established head coach, chances are you'll fail at USC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom