O'Neil out at USC...Hopper in? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

O'Neil out at USC...Hopper in?

Ah, there's the cryptic post we've all been waiting for.

What's cryptic about it? Only means there is more to come...football and basketball related. Pretty simple.

What's cryptic about it? Only means there is more to come...football and basketball related. Pretty simple.
I was mainly joking, but a one word response in which no information is offered is pretty damned cryptic.

Completely in the dark here, but SU won't be able to keep up with USC as far as coaching $$, or no?

This is sorta what I've been thinking. Every year Hop sits as an Assistant/Coach-in-Waiting, he's surrendering a million dollars — the difference between what a prestige Head Coach makes, versus whatever he's making now. If JB hasn't given him an idea when he's getting the keys, it's got to be quite difficult thinking about 'what could be,' financially. Add to that the fact that JB isn't super-highly compensated, and what Hop is waiting for may not even be the ceiling of what he could be making elsewhere after some Prove It To Me years. Further, he's not a Central NY kid. I just moved to LA after 25 years in NYC, and i'm cursing myself for not having done it sooner. The weather factor is significant.

Hopkins will run for Governor of California before he ever goes to USC. USC has slime residue all over it. Sure, their cheerleaders are hot, but...

Man USC is kind of a rebuilding project. Has Hop been linked to any other schools in the past? Or is this just special because it's Cali? Hasn't he been in Syracuse ever since he left HS pretty much?

If it did happen there could be some positives out of it. They could use the turnover to finally get a bigs coach. They could start grooming GMac. JB could use the grooming process needed as incentive to stay longer.

Man USC is kind of a rebuilding project. Has Hop been linked to any other schools in the past? Or is this just special because it's Cali? Hasn't he been in Syracuse ever since he left HS pretty much?

He's been linked to other jobs, like Charlotte a few years ago, but I'm not sure anything like this.

But I could see him leaving. I mean how long is too long to wait?

He's been linked to other jobs, like Charlotte a few years ago, but I'm not sure anything like this.

Agreed. It's like being engaged for a decade at this point. You almost have to start wondering if the marriage will ever happen at some point.

I woudl think Hop and JB have talked about this, there's no doubt in my mind that Hop knows JB's timetable. I say if it's 2-3 years, Hop sticks; but hey, if JB has another 5-6 years in him, Hop bolts, and I don't blame him.

You guys and your orange centric cOlored glasses are funny. USC is a good coach away from being a dominant program. If Hop could be successful at SU he could be successful in his hometown at USC. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he took it after the season. in fact if offered i'd expect him to take it. He could own that conference.

You guys and your orange centric cOlored glasses are funny. USC is a good coach away from being a dominant program. If Hop could be successful at SU he could be successful in his hometown at USC. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he took it after the season. in fact if offered i'd expect him to take it. He could own that conference.
I think Sean Miller would have something to say about that.

I find it odd that so many people think this has no chance of happening. Do any of us really know what he's thinking? I don't think so.

But if Hop leaves who is going to make sure the kids are going to class and behaving????

Maybe he's sick of being the babysitter and would like to be in a position where he can delegate someone else to take care of doing that crap. Lord knows it's a tougher job than most people know, 24/7/365.

I'm sure he loves us, what he's doing, and the people he works for. But, that doesn't exclude the possibility that he could love everything as much or more in LA, with more money, and without having to wait x number of years.

Plus, at SU, he's going to live in the shadow of JB, and will likely have to consider how 'his way' of doing things will fly when compared to JBs. Suppose he's not so enamored of a constant zone. He tries man, and we lose a few more games than expected... How much slack does he get? How much time does he get? My feeling is he would be expected to maintain the course and the record. The other consideration is, how does JB leave the team? Why would he leave when the cupboard is full and we have a good chance of winning the NC the next year? If he leaves it a little bare, then the pressure's on Hop.

It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out. And, when the announcement comes. I wonder if he'll just end a season and retire or if he'll announce prior to the season which he'll finish, or if he'll put a timetable out there...

I'm not saying Hop should leave. I like him and think he'll do a great job for us. But, it's not much different from college players leaving early for the NBA because, even if they don't do so well, it means extra years of earning. Hop's gotta be wondering when he can place that order for the Bugatti Veyron.

Absolutely.

Maybe he's sick of being the babysitter and would like to be in a position where he can delegate someone else to take care of doing that crap. Lord knows it's a tougher job than most people know, 24/7/365.
True

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom