only one answer | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

only one answer

Aleins?

• Poll choice...

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Poll choice...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I laughed hysterically when I watched Star Gate and found in the special features there is an interview with Mr Tsouklis. That movie was circa 1994 so this guy has been at it for awhile and his hair was just as big 20 years ago.

LOL I guess he must have just gotten a hair cut when Ancient Aliens started because it really seemed like it got bigger and bigger over those first two seasons. He kind of reminds me of the stoner dude from dazed and confused talking about George Washington.

My main point was that there is nobody on earth qualified to talk about what leads to the development of sentience. It's all guesswork, although we have some good ideas which I'm sure the author lays out. The author's assertion that we are special, alone, etc. however is based on a handful of assumptions he makes that are cast into doubt with each successive discovery, i.e. the example of binary systems. I'm aware of the vagaries of long elliptical orbits, but one must also be aware that there are many other factors capable of mitigating their negative effects. All of the examples you laid out CAN have situations hospitable to life; large stars DO have habitable zones, for example- they are just not laid out in the same way. It's a lot more complicated than the shape of the orbit, the presence of a molten core, etc. OttoinGrotto's comment really nails it, I think.

I may look into tracking this book down, as obviously a message board discussion of its main points can't do it or the author justice. Excellent discussion and I am thankful for you bringing out the inner nerd in me on a bleak Saturday morning AlaskaSU.