PF: Maliq Brown
C: Jesse Edwards

Option 5: The shooting lineup.

PG: Judah Mintz
SG: Joe Girard
SF: Justin Taylor
PF: Chris Bunch
C: Jesse Edwards

I have seen many projected line ups – agree with any of the above?

It will be interesting to see what option will start this fall/winter. Especially due to the fact Benny Williams is in all but one line up in this author’s projection.

But we haven’t seen “the real” Benny yet as he was playing for IMG averaging 16.3 PPG. We didn’t get a chance to see him at all because he didn’t play. It‘s the first time watching Syracuse BB that I have seen a 5 star rated player sit. Aside from an elite above the rim block there wasn’t much to see.

I hope Benny plays this year and does well – really well. He is a super athlete but he has to improve dramatically. The first game should tell us what he’s got this year and it better be good, this team is full of freshmen dipping their toes into the hardwood water competition for the first time.

Here’s a pro scout evaluation of Benny:

Benny Williams – NBA Scouting Live

If he can shoot the ball we may have the makings of a decent SU new era team. If he doesn’t someone’s going to have to take up the slack and show him how.

Benny Williams is a very athletic , high motor forward whose versatility may make him an intriguing prospect for the NBA. He is a high - flyer that can finish plays above the rim and he is a ball handler that can rack up assists. He is a capable on - ball defender that has the potential to be able to guard a variety of positions.

On the downside, he had a really disappointing freshman season, in which he rarely played and didn’t shoot well at all. He will need to regain his shooting touch and be the athletic, sharpshooting, 3 and D player that he was in high school while adjusting to the college game. He will need to extend his shooting range and ball handling skills, and if he does could see significant playing time this coming year.

Hope so. I believe it will be very revealing to see how this team can play, and who has the skills necessary for us to become a better team than last year, if that’s possible with so many fresh faces.

By the end of season, Copeland will be playing significant minutes, some of them at forward, more than Taylor, and possibly more than Benny. That is my prediction
Taylor is likely the only other 3 point threat. Copeland, by most accounts, doesn't shoot very well. I'll take Taylor.

I feel good about center and guard positions. Boy are there lot of unknowns about the forwards this year. First year I can remember in a very long time where forward is our biggest unknown and potentially biggest weakness.

I feel good about center and guard positions. Boy are there lot of unknowns about the forwards this year. First year I can remember in a very long time where forward is our biggest unknown and potentially biggest weakness.

I have a feeling a less-heralded recruit like Brown may end up getting a lot more run than many project.

Worried about Benny readiness / scoring / shooting after this summer tour.

I have a feeling a less-heralded recruit like Brown may end up getting a lot more run than many project.

Worried about Benny readiness / scoring / shooting after this summer tour.

There was at least some good stuff out of Benny's last two games on the tour. Not future NBA kind of stuff but positives a la a Damone Brown of sorts in using his athleticism in all facets.

Brown is interesting. He put up huge stats vs weaker competition but does some good things too. I'll be curious in how aggressive he is. Seems like a mild mannered kid. The tools are there to be a contributor.

Over the years, JB's seemed like the type to reward loyalty. I think, Ben Williams plays huge minutes, regardless of production this season. Now, hopefully, with zero hook, Ben gets his groove back, sooner than later.

I’m not sold. I like Mintz and JG off the ball and Jesse in the post but not sure JB can find the gems in the F spot

Agree 100%.

The lack of experience and proven capabilities at forward are alarming. We aren't talking about working in one new face to bolster an otherwise proven group -- we're talking about having to rely upon TWO totally unproven commodities, and relying upon them to produce on both sides of the floor.

I could certainly envision circumstances where things work out favorably, and the team improves compared to last year. But it is more likely that the team's relative inexperience at forward -- and perhaps the limitations / readiness of the group of players we have at our disposal -- could sink us.

I think 3 guards are going to be our best option. I just think Symir will help us more than the forwards who probably will all take turns being JB's whipping boy. If we played M2M this would be an easy decision.

I think 3 guards are going to be our best option. I just think Symir will help us more than the forwards who probably will all take turns being JB's whipping boy. If we played M2M this would be an easy decision.

If we play 3 guards, we are going to get crushed on the boards.

Agree 100%.

The lack of experience and proven capabilities at forward are alarming. We aren't talking about working in one new face to bolster an otherwise proven group -- we're talking about having to rely upon TWO totally unproven commodities, and relying upon them to produce on both sides of the floor.

I could certainly envision circumstances where things work out favorably, and the team improves compared to last year. But it is more likely that the team's relative inexperience at forward -- and perhaps the limitations / readiness of the group of players we have at our disposal -- could sink us.
I'm calling Bennie as the league's Most Improved Player.

Benny on the Hill, and I had heard he passed away???

01E49E72-BD48-42B1-8D8C-B66E874A9188.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom