Options | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Options

Neither guy is worth it. It would be quite the statement to go from a 'Cuse guy who seems to have his heart in the right place (the lives of the kids on the team) to guys with "ethically challenged" pasts.

I'm a Marrone guy - so I don't think hiring a new coach will be coming up this season or off-season.

I like Marrone a lot too, and I hope he's very successful and has a long tenure at SU. I'm not an advocate of any other coach at this point in time.

I do find it interesting though that it's so easy for people to label others, such as 'ethically challenged,' etc., notably on relatively microcosmic type mistakes or what have you. Especially, when most have never met that particular individual or really know anything about him/her. As previously mentioned, JB's history is not perfect either.

And, people shouldn't get so wound up either when someone tries to save face, aka...'covering up' on relatively inconsequential things as well. You know, the same ones deleting their web browsing history because they don't want their significant other to find out what morally questionable sites they may be visiting. ;)

I like Marrone a lot too, and I hope he's very successful and has a long tenure at SU. I'm not an advocate of any other coach at this point in time.

I do find it interesting though that it's so easy for people to label others, such as 'ethically challenged,' etc., notably on relatively microcosmic type mistakes or what have you. Especially, when most have never met that particular individual or really know anything about him/her. As previously mentioned, JB's history is not perfect either.

And, people shouldn't get so wound up either when someone tries to save face, aka...'covering up' on relatively inconsequential things as well. You know, the same ones deleting their web browsing history because they don't want their significant other to find out what morally questionable sites they may be visiting. ;)

Well sure, no one's perfect... me included. The difference is that these guys had very public ethical missteps. I'm saying the perception would be bad. I don't personally know any of these guys - most of us are going off of what we hear and know. JB's perception at the time took a hit - but he's been clean (unless you count the Fine mess, but that's another post) since. These guys are coming off of messy firings.

I wouldn't say Petrino's mistake was trying to save face or covering up. What he did was pretty unethical by any stretch. Tressel could have come clean and didn't. I don't think he got fired for not catching the infraction - but for lying to the NCAA. Lying to the governing body of your sport has to be considered unethical. People get fired all the time for things like that.

OK, back to the other site I was er, browsing.

Well sure, no one's perfect... me included. The difference is that these guys had very public ethical missteps. I'm saying the perception would be bad. I don't personally know any of these guys - most of us are going off of what we hear and know. JB's perception at the time took a hit - but he's been clean (unless you count the Fine mess, but that's another post) since. These guys are coming off of messy firings.

I wouldn't say Petrino's mistake was trying to save face or covering up. What he did was pretty unethical by any stretch. Tressel could have come clean and didn't. I don't think he got fired for not catching the infraction - but for lying to the NCAA. Lying to the governing body of your sport has to be considered unethical. People get fired all the time for things like that.

Completely agree regarding Petrino as I wouldn't consider that a relative microcomic event/incident.

However, I am generally of the belief (call me skeptical I guess) that it isn't human nature to just voluntarily come clean, even when the stakes are relatively low, let alone when significantly higher. It will always come down to full disclosure or proof and until then. If there isn't any material proof, then it all encompasses one's perceived credibilty. Afterwards, it's all about damage control...

However, I am generally of the belief (call me skeptical I guess) that it isn't human nature to just voluntarily come clean, even when the stakes are relatively low, let alone when significantly higher. It will always come down to full disclosure or proof and until then. If there isn't any material proof, then it all encompasses one's perceived credibilty. Afterwards, it's all about damage control...

It's because it is human nature not to come clean that we as a culture hold doing the right thing in such high regard. But that's all to say that if we're even having this discussion it probably rules out a Tressel hire. Sounds more like Rutgers or WVU material ;).

Didn't you know that there are no other sites?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom