Orange Bowl - for those planning ahead | Syracusefan.com

Orange Bowl - for those planning ahead

Toga

Living Legend

My dream is to play in the rose bowl on New Year’s Day that to me was always the big one . It’s BS how the pac 12 and big ten seem to have that game locked up

My dream is to play in the rose bowl on New Year’s Day that to me was always the big one . It’s BS how the pac 12 and big ten seem to have that game locked up

I’m assuming you already know, but those two conferences have tie ins with the Rose Bowl.

Gotta catch it on a playoff game year to get into there.

Not sure if I like them choosing to give up a New Year's Day spot in exchange for Monday night football on December 30th. In fact, I'm certain I don't like it.

I know not everyone is a drunk, but moving it to the 30th allows us to party on NYE without worrying about being hungover the next day.

Also, Miami is prolly the most expensive bowl locations, at least for me (considering air and hotel... I'm assuming Miami just expensive in general). So I figure if you spend all year saving for a Miami trip, and we don't get it you should be able to afford wherever we end up.

Idk, I think that makes sense, but Im rocking a solid buzz

Yeah. The 30th sucks for anyone that has to wake up early for work since actual kickoff probably won't be until around 8:30. I'd much rather have the day game on New Year's Day.

The reasoning they give is BS too, saying fans are used to watching football in primetime. That's not true, given most college and NFL games are on the weekend during the day. If they wanted to use tradition, they'd keep it on NYD when all of the big bowls used to be. Glad I have DVR.

At first I thought "yeah, prime time is better than mid-day", but then I realized that Monday is NOT New Year's Eve - Tuesday is a work day (unless I take a vacation day, which I might).

The root of the problem is simple: when NBC owned the rights to the Orange Bowl, it always was in prime time - and it was up against the Sugar Bowl. Now that ABC/ESPN owns both, they don't want them played at the same time (understandable from their p.o.v.). Since the semi-finals are already on Saturday night, that didn't leave a lot of good alternatives for the Orange Bowl. It really all boils down to the ACC having to play 2nd fiddle behind the SEC in this instance. For those of you who aren't used to that feeling, welcome to the ACC!
:vomit:

At first I thought "yeah, prime time is better than mid-day", but then I realized that Monday is NOT New Year's Eve - Tuesday is a work day (unless I take a vacation day, which I might).

The root of the problem is simple: when NBC owned the rights to the Orange Bowl, it always was in prime time - and it was up against the Sugar Bowl. Now that ABC/ESPN owns both, they don't want them played at the same time (understandable from their p.o.v.). Since the semi-finals are already on Saturday night, that didn't leave a lot of good alternatives for the Orange Bowl. It really all boils down to the ACC having to play 2nd fiddle behind the SEC in this instance. For those of you who aren't used to that feeling, welcome to the ACC!
:vomit:
The contract with ESPN for the Orange Bowl started in 2015 and runs for 12 years. I would not expect major changes any time soon.

ACC, Orange Bowl finalize 12-year agreement

dont forget for a long time the sugar was on new years eve and the orange was the late game new years day

While I prefer New Year's, I have to think that many will tune in, expecting NFL Monday Night Football. Interesting to see how many stay, and what the viewership is. Higher than the hungover bowls?

Looks like Fox will be airing it's big games, Saturdays, at noon. Wonder if that improves our chances for later games?

Who’s planning for the Orange Bowl? I’m planning for the Sugar Bowl.

I think you may have meant Peach Bowl or Fiesta Bowl - those are the CFP semi-finals this season. That would be an incredible season, but I don't know if the CFP would take BOTH Virginia Tech AND Syracuse...

There's no way Syracuse - or any other ACC team - can play in the Sugar Bowl this year since it's an SEC/Big XII contract bowl.

I think you may have meant Peach Bowl or Fiesta Bowl - those are the CFP semi-finals this season. That would be an incredible season, but I don't know if the CFP would take BOTH Virginia Tech AND Syracuse...

There's no way Syracuse - or any other ACC team - can play in the Sugar Bowl this year since it's an SEC/Big XII contract bowl.

Ok. Make it preparing for New Orleans.

Ok. Make it preparing for New Orleans.

I suppose the New Orleans Bowl is plausible, though unlikely - it's typically Sun Belt vs. C-USA though. I really think you should shoot higher... maybe the Pinstripe Bowl?
[/StirringThePot][/PokingTheBear][/SqueezingTheOrange]

I know not everyone is a drunk, but moving it to the 30th allows us to party on NYE without worrying about being hungover the next day.

Also, Miami is prolly the most expensive bowl locations, at least for me (considering air and hotel... I'm assuming Miami just expensive in general). So I figure if you spend all year saving for a Miami trip, and we don't get it you should be able to afford wherever we end up.

Idk, I think that makes sense, but Im rocking a solid buzz

It's Tuesday morning, for Christ's sake, :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom