Orange Nation on Adams and Howard | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Orange Nation on Adams and Howard

True. But you also touched upon another key factor -- they were in a platoon [and in Howard's case, the third guy in the platoon]. You can't just look at it and say, Adams got 327 yards -- ergo, he's not good enough. He was the second guy.
There's a reason they were the 2nd and third guy
If they were better he would get the bulk of the carries, 327 yards in college shouldn't get anyones minds on the NFL, you need to actually produce in college

If they were better he would get the bulk of the carries, 327 yards in college shouldn't get anyones minds on the NFL, you need to actually produce in college

Yes -- the reason is that Neal was the more established player.

Again, not as simple as you make it out to be.

Agree 100% with your last sentence, however.

So we get two RBs that have no chance of being drafted opting out to prep for the draft and Etienne returns for another year at Clemson. How does that happen?

Last edited:
Don’t believe anything anyone says unless the player themselves say it . Writers , reporters , analyst usually don’t know crap . They take bits and pieces . Jarveon has a good reason to opt out and it’s not my place to say it but when I do say something just trust me . Adams I have no idea why he opted out
It makes zero sense as far as NFL stuff . Maybe he has legit covid concerns and that’s his choice . Was only 2weeks ago lmany were calling college football nuts now I haven’t heard a peep about not playing.
Anyway stop chasing your tail on this one unless that’s your exercise for the day lol
2 days left let’s goooooooo ! It’s bit Taj and Tommy are clicking a lot let’s hope it continues when it counts .

They are interviewing Matthew Gutierrez of the Athletic who says that Abdul Adams and Jarveon Howard didn't opt out due to Covid19 or BLM but because they both expect to be drafted by the NFL and they'd rather prepare for that.

Opting out for the draft is just another termite eating away at the non-powerhouse teams trying to compete with the powerhouses.

???? What? Bizarre. This might make sense if the season was moved to spring and these kids were at all on the draft radar. So, not playing a fall schedule to START maybe building a pro resume makes zero sense. Now, if they have their own personal reasons and it seems as though they believe in their own minds that they are pro prospects, why not use the immensely valuable platform that is CFB giving these kids a shot?

I think opting out for the draft is affecting the powerhouses more since they have more potential picks, see LSU this year. Not sure if it will ever get to the level of College Bball with one and dones and senior laden mid majors that pull tourney upsets but I think its heading in that direction a little. I think some powerhouse programs could experience a slight erosion of top talent off their roster.

Yes, it is and these are kids that the NFL has actually heard of and alot of then are playing this fall to enhance the resumes they have already established. Fans or no fans, it's still game on and their performance will be evaluated. If the season was moved to spring, we would understand the anticipated opt outs.

It just seems odd there have been a few on different teams who have come out and said they are opting out due to getting ready for the NFL Draft but nothing official from these two.

Bc nobody knows who they are...

Don’t believe anything anyone says unless the player themselves say it . Writers , reporters , analyst usually don’t know crap . They take bits and pieces . Jarveon has a good reason to opt out and it’s not my place to say it but when I do say something just trust me . Adams I have no idea why he opted out
It makes zero sense as far as NFL stuff . Maybe he has legit covid concerns and that’s his choice . Was only 2weeks ago lmany were calling college football nuts now I haven’t heard a peep about not playing.
Anyway stop chasing your tail on this one unless that’s your exercise for the day lol
2 days left let’s goooooooo ! It’s bit Taj and Tommy are clicking a lot let’s hope it continues when it counts .
That Jersey connection needs to come through!

I think opting out for the draft is affecting the powerhouses more since they have more potential picks, see LSU this year. Not sure if it will ever get to the level of College Bball with one and dones and senior laden mid majors that pull tourney upsets but I think its heading in that direction a little. I think some powerhouse programs could experience a slight erosion of top talent off their roster.

If SU just lost it's two top running backs to this, obviously it will effect schools like us as well. And we usually can't replace players like the powerhouses. We might be able to in this case but at elast our depth is affected and we are far more vulnerable to injury than we were before they opted out.

The thing is, what do they do if they don't get drafted?

If SU just lost it's two top running backs to this, obviously it will effect schools like us as well. And we usually can't replace players like the powerhouses. We might be able to in this case but at elast our depth is affected and we are far more vulnerable to injury than we were before they opted out.

The thing is, what do they do if they don't get drafted?

If they don't get drafted. they go back to try to finish their degree somewhere or get job in the real world and keep working out to try to make it.

I think this is based on belief without evidence a true story. I base that on Dinos very public display of almost animosity about questions about players opting out. His you will have to ask them answers. Are players who dont want to play and get prepared for the NFL even allowed to be on the team? Maybe he not only didnt want to comment he perhaps couldnt because maybe they were or are not on the team anymore depending on school policy? Or maybe the University did not have a policy on this type of thing in the Covid era

You feel some swing passes for Mr Jordan going to go far this year?

Agree with this.

If they quit the team to prepare for NFL tryouts, I wonder why they're both still on the roster.
Pure speculation: I wonder if they are officially saying that they are opting out and therefore still on scholarship and receiving stipends (and on roster) but in reality using that money to train for NFL with no real intention of returning to school. Using the COVID excuse for personal gain. That'd be enough to tick off a coach or teammate... But if Redrum says Howard has other reasons, I'll take it. I met the kid, was impressed by him, and I want to like him.

Some guys get that in a game, and Clemson excluded we haven’t lined up against any all-world defenses lately. Btw I think Mike Hart got over 300 yards in a (high school) quarter.

I’m not buying it in Adams case. He was a redshirt junior last year and eligible for this past April’s draft. So he thinks taking a year off to just workout is going to help his position? Makes no sense