Orange pack golf | Syracusefan.com

Orange pack golf

I wasn't there but a few updates that I can provide from friends that were:

- Shafer is not in favor of paying the players (over the 4 years at Syracuse, they are getting a roughly $300,000 perk - Diabate was there and he mentioned if there was a way to pay for his parents to come from Africa to watch a game or two that he would greatly support something along those lines)
- Shafer is incredibly pleased with recruiting (young, dynamic staff with incredible connections in key recruiting grounds)
- He is 100% behind an early signing period (would greatly help SU verbals from being poached or using their SU offer to hopstep to a "bigger" offer) - his staff is great at identifying talent early on in the process
- Gerry McNamara was there (thought that was interesting - crossing sports' lines for the greater good at SU)
- Loves Syracuse and everything that comes with it

That's all I have for now, kind of rushing this.

I'm sure sutomcat or a few others can tighten/clarify any of those comments up.

I wasn't there but a few updates that I can provide from friends that were:

- Shafer is not in favor of paying the players (over the 4 years at Syracuse, they are getting a roughly $300,000 perk - Diabate was there and he mentioned if there was a way to pay for his parents to come from Africa to watch a game or two that he would greatly support something along those lines)
- Shafer is incredibly pleased with recruiting (young, dynamic staff with incredible connections in key recruiting grounds)
- He is 100% behind an early signing period (would greatly help SU verbals from being poached or using their SU offer to hopstep to a "bigger" offer) - his staff is great at identifying talent early on in the process
- Gerry McNamara was there (thought that was interesting - crossing sports' lines for the greater good at SU)
- Loves Syracuse and everything that comes with it

That's all I have for now, kind of rushing this.

I'm sure sutomcat or a few others can tighten/clarify any of those comments up.

Good job Rocco, everything you noted was said and is correct.

SS also said he think paying players can lead them to a feeling of entitlement, which he thinks would be very counter productive for their development. Said he might be old school on this, but he thinks there is nothing wrong with expecting players to have to scrap and work hard for everything they get, just like he did, and all the other players who have come through the college football system. That teaches them the value of hard work.

Said if it is decided to pay players, he wants the money to go into a savings account, unaccessible to the players until after they graduate. Wants to have financial advisers part of the picture to give the players help deciding what to do with their money when it finally becomes available.,

He is against unionizing the players. Says he thinks there is a downside to becoming employees. Players could then be fired if they weren't producing, and some teams would definitely do this. Likes having both parties promise to be loyal to each other up front, likes both sides having to hold to their promises over 4 or 5 years.

He also talked at length about one of our greatest fans, a guy who has been stuck in a hospital for 77 days, a guy all the coaches have in their thoughts and are all rooting for. A guy all you fans should also be rooting for too. Of course, the guy Coach Shafer was talking about was none other than the great OE.

Let see, he had all the coaches there stand up and introduce themselves. Really embarrassed DeAndre Smith, who Shafer noted was the conference player of the decade (he played at Southwestern Missouri State). Then noted he was a D3 QB and was taller than DeAndre, so he wonders how Smith could have been that good.

The coaches are all very personable, they all speak well and are very engaging. It is easy to see the chemistry they have (Shafer stopped Coach Lea just before he was about to hit a putt to dog him and try and get into his head; it didn't work, Coach Lea was a tremendous putter for my team and was a force all 18 holes). It is easy to understand why they have been successful recruiting.

The only members of the staff not there were Eric White and Tim Daoust. Coach Shafer explained they were back in Syracuse with a recruit. As Rocco noted, said he is really happy with how recruiting is going, but couldn't make any specific comments, said they were going to be hosting a couple more recruits the rest of the week and weekend and to cross your fingers that things go well.

Tomcat, Did I win anything?

Yes, a couple of your numbers were called late. The depth of the prizes was rather lacking at that point. I think you got a cloth bag, a golf hat and a package of tees. Something else too, but I don't remember what it was. It was unremarkable though.

Did we get www.syracusefan.com on the signage?

I anticipated you would want to know about that and took a picture to document this.

See below.

seneca Falls.JPG

Once again...one of the best events out there for the Cuse fan. A chance to play golf, eat awesome food, drink beer and chat with coaches in a relaxed state is well worth the $100 to play. The raffle during dinner usually has some real nice prizes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom