Oshae Brissett: Celtics | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Oshae Brissett: Celtics

Man being good at basketball is lucrative. He's barely good enough to get a long look, but still guaranteed 300k. If he doesn't make it, he pockets that and goes to Europe to make only 150k... At 22 years old without a degree.

Invest wisely, Oshae, and you'll never have to have a "real job"

REITs are good right now, I like NNN and O for income and capital gains.

Not actually investment advice, I could get in trouble for making a joke. ;)
there may be worse fates than earning 6 figures plus expenses to play a ~30 game season on the adriatic coast . . . but i can't think of any

there may be worse fates than earning 6 figures plus expenses to play a ~30 game season on the adriatic coast . . . but i can't think of any

I've heard the clouds of smoke in the Turkish league arenas is impressive to behold, but it won't help your life span.

Man being good at basketball is lucrative. He's barely good enough to get a long look, but still guaranteed 300k. If he doesn't make it, he pockets that and goes to Europe to make only 150k... At 22 years old without a degree.

Invest wisely, Oshae, and you'll never have to have a "real job"

REITs are good right now, I like NNN and O for income and capital gains.

Not actually investment advice, I could get in trouble for making a joke. ;)
Really important for NBA players: do NOT go into debt on any "investments." Leveraging an investment may offer higher returns if it succeeds, but you should never put your asset base at risk when you are a professional athlete reliant on others for financial advice. Why put ANY of your gains at risk? Just saying...

Everyone still think it was a good idea for Oshae to leave after he regressed as a sophomore? Because no guys ever get better and improve their draft stock. Absolute shame. He is an nba athlete and could’ve stuck if he was more polished and skilled.

Everyone still think it was a good idea for Oshae to leave after he regressed as a sophomore? Because no guys ever get better and improve their draft stock. Absolute shame. He is an nba athlete and could’ve stuck if he was more polished and skilled.
What? Come on. He got paid last season on a 2 way clocking 19 NBA game appearances, and had $300k guaranteed this season before being cut, with the opportunity to continue developing in the G-league and potentially land on another NBA roster.

The dude's doing fine and made a good call. He's a success story.

What? Come on. He got paid last season on a 2 way clocking 19 NBA game appearances, and had $300k guaranteed this season before being cut, with the opportunity to continue developing in the G-league and potentially land on another NBA roster.

The dude's doing fine and made a good call. He's a success story.
That would have been available however long had he stayed. It was the worst case scenario. He lost his shot at a significant guarantee and is out of the league.

That would have been available however long had he stayed. It was the worst case scenario. He lost his shot at a significant guarantee and is out of the league.
You don't know that. We don't know that those opportunities would have been available. We can't know that.

What we do know is that in two seasons since leaving he has made $429k and was able to work on his game against higher level competition without any academic requirements.

It's on him to continue getting better and earn his way back on an NBA roster, but he's done well for himself.

I think he's a long shot to get back in the league. As someone that misses the days when guys stayed longer, I don't think staying would have helped him. It would have confirmed to scouts what we saw his first two years. He has NBA level athleticism but just doesn't finish well. There are some things in sports that are innate and immeasurable. Guys have it or they don't. It's why there are guys at the NFL combine that kill it and then never make in the league.

Now now...Don't you know that a single professional paycheck is worth more than a college experience, education, development, exposure? Darius Bazley is the face of everything that is right about college basketball! :cool:

Now now...Don't you know that a single professional paycheck is worth more than a college experience, education, development, exposure? Darius Bazley is the face of everything that is right about college basketball! :cool:

Exposure? He played for the prior nba championship team..some you guys way over estimate the eyes on college basketball these days.

I think he's a long shot to get back in the league. As someone that misses the days when guys stayed longer, I don't think staying would have helped him. It would have confirmed to scouts what we saw his first two years. He has NBA level athleticism but just doesn't finish well. There are some things in sports that are innate and immeasurable. Guys have it or they don't. It's why there are guys at the NFL combine that kill it and then never make in the league.
I respect your opinion but would respectfully submit that finishing is the kind of thing you can improve on with another year or 2 of college, where athleticism is the thing you basically have or you don't. I totally agree that Oshae is a long shot to get back to the league, his odds might have been better had he stayed another year, developed his skills and then earned a guaranteed contract that would have made him less likely to get cut.

Bridges from Nova is a nice example. If he had left after his sophomore year like Oshae, he likely would have gone late second or undrafted. Instead he stayed at Nova, got better, went in the lottery and is averaging 15 ppg in his third year in the league and will make tens of millions. With a guaranteed deal he could brought along slowly with no fear of getting cut. What GM is not going to have patience with a guy he spent a significant draft pick on? If he had not improved as a junior he could have declared and been at worst where Oshae is now.

You don't know that. We don't know that those opportunities would have been available. We can't know that.

What we do know is that in two seasons since leaving he has made $429k and was able to work on his game against higher level competition without any academic requirements.

It's on him to continue getting better and earn his way back on an NBA roster, but he's done well for himself.
He’s made more than $429k because he effectively added a year or two of earnings to the backend of his career by starting it sooner.

I respect your opinion but would respectfully submit that finishing is the kind of thing you can improve on with another year or 2 of college, where athleticism is the thing you basically have or you don't. I totally agree that Oshae is a long shot to get back to the league, his odds might have been better had he stayed another year, developed his skills and then earned a guaranteed contract that would have made him less likely to get cut.

Bridges from Nova is a nice example. If he had left after his sophomore year like Oshae, he likely would have gone late second or undrafted. Instead he stayed at Nova, got better, went in the lottery and is averaging 15 ppg in his third year in the league and will make tens of millions. With a guaranteed deal he could brought along slowly with no fear of getting cut. What GM is not going to have patience with a guy he spent a significant draft pick on? If he had not improved as a junior he could have declared and been at worst where Oshae is now.
Bridges has 2 high level NBA traits. Shooting and defense. Oshae has 0 and wasn't going to develop any by staying an extra year. Bridges shot 39 and 43% from 3 his last 2 years. Oshae shot 33 and then 27%. That's the end of the story essentially. If you are a wing in the NBA and can't shoot, then you better do something else EXTREMELY well.

You have no idea how badly I wish this were true. I long for the DC days where great players stayed. The sad truth is...95% of the time you hurt your draft stock when you stay in school. Even if you have a good season the year that you stay. It's completely the NBA's fault. Yes, I said fault.

Look at the kid from Pitt & UNC, Cam Johnson.

He averaged 11.7 mpg as a redshirt freshman at Pitt. Started every game as a redshirt sophomore, grad transferred to UNC and played two MORE seasons.

First round draft pick with the Suns, and has sticking power now.

Really frustrating to take the short-sighted view on this. Brissett could have gotten better with game situations, gotten his degree, and a lot of other things.

It's entirely possible that Oshae could have improved and maybe positioned himself better for NBA success by staying, but it's at least equally likely that another 2 years of no improvement would have just meant he never received an NBA check to begin with.

He averaged 11.7 mpg as a redshirt freshman at Pitt. Started every game as a redshirt sophomore, grad transferred to UNC and played two MORE seasons.

Really frustrating to take the short-sighted view on this. Brissett could have gotten better with game situations, gotten his degree, and a lot of other things.
Or he could have suffered a catastrophic injury and never gotten a single penny from an NBA franchise. I hope he keeps fighting and sticks around the league. You’ve got to strike when the iron is hot because your window to play in the NBA is really small.

Exposure? He played for the prior nba championship team..some you guys way over estimate the eyes on college basketball these days.
Yeah I guess a 135 minute NBA career constitutes "playing for the prior nba championship team." Surely more people saw him play in those 135 minutes than would have seen him play 35 minutes a game for 70 or so games on national TV playing college basketball last year and this year. But he got paid so all good. The one thing I do agree on is that if he had stayed he may never have gotten drafted as the layup does not seem to be in Oshae's skillset.

All we know is that it seems the path Cam Johnson took is working out for him, and that Brissett has achieved some fairly significant financial reward for the path he took. Projecting paths on to others is an unknown.

He would never be a 1st round guy. He’s just an athlete. Then there is the opportunity cost of not having made the money that he is making.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom