OSU AD reportedly liked Babers if he looked for an outside candidate | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OSU AD reportedly liked Babers if he looked for an outside candidate

The funny thing is the staff barely recruits Ohio
Because you can’t beat OSU for the better recruits. They own the state. Instate high school coaches don’t let their players leave the state, unlike New York.

Because you can’t beat OSU for the better recruits. They own the state. Instate high school coaches don’t let their players leave the state, unlike New York.
Unless Michigan gets them.
Charles Woodson and Desmond Howard both won Heismans at Michigan and are from Ohio.
I was born in Toledo which is close to 50/50 Michigan/Ohio State land.
Most elite Ohio kids stay in-State but before Tressel came along Michigan was owning the state almost as much as Ohio State.

OSU can only sign so many and they recruit nationally. They're currently the only P5 school in Ohio, so there should still be some good guys like we've gotten in the past.

Ultimately his goal is to have a shot at a National Championship. He can only do that with a team full of 4 and 5 star recruits. Put them in his system and wow.

He is older but he has proven at multiple schools that all he needs is 3 years. I don’t believe Syracuse is his final stop and I’m 100% ok with that.

I know this might be a bit controversial, but I think the system is a bit overrated. When Babers was the RB coach at Baylor, Phillip Montgomery was the OC. Since Montgomery left to become HC at Tulsa the past 4 years, his record has been 21-29, including 2-10 and 3-9 the past 2 years. My point is the system is only a small part of what makes Babers a good coach. We also finally got some breaks this year.

I don't think he needs a team full of 4 and 5 recruits. We need a handful of them, good coaching and a little luck.

Once Dino starts getting 5-12 4 star kids each class, it won't really matter where he coaches, he will be able to win championships.

Once he gets a class like that here, we will really see what he can accomplish. And then he wont have to leave to get a more talented team.

Ultimately his goal is to have a shot at a National Championship. He can only do that with a team full of 4 and 5 star recruits. Put them in his system and wow.

He is older but he has proven at multiple schools that all he needs is 3 years. I don’t believe Syracuse is his final stop and I’m 100% ok with that.

????

We’re winning the NC next year.

Ohio State was never going to hire Dino.

I don’t think anyone believes they were actually going to hire him. The point really is to simply show he was “considered” meaning he’s getting respect from the highest programs.

I know this might be a bit controversial, but I think the system is a bit overrated. When Babers was the RB coach at Baylor, Phillip Montgomery was the OC. Since Montgomery left to become HC at Tulsa the past 4 years, his record has been 21-29, including 2-10 and 3-9 the past 2 years. My point is the system is only a small part of what makes Babers a good coach. We also finally got some breaks this year.

I don't think he needs a team full of 4 and 5 recruits. We need a handful of them, good coaching and a little luck.

That’s one of the reasons I waffle between calling it a system or a philosophy... it’s probably both, along with added wisdom and plain old intelligence

But the results that Dino has had as a HC speaks for itself. Whatever it is, it works

T
That’s one of the reasons I waffle between calling it a system or a philosophy... it’s probably both, along with added wisdom and plain old intelligence

But the results that Dino has had as a HC speaks for itself. Whatever it is, it works

Totally agree. It’s a hybrid approach. Telltale sign of a great coach is adjusting the system to fit the talent and players. We’ve seen Dino do that everywhere while staying consistent to the core elements he preaches.

The system philosophy works so well because his coaching and commitment to conditioning and discipline aligns with it.

He controls the stuff we can control - our conditioning, speed to the ball/snaps, maximizing offensive plays etc. A traditional offensive / meathead style approach will never win a national title in the northeast unless a coach can pull in top Recruiting classes. If we can pull in anything close to top 25-30 classes and increase a depth (a key thing he keeps referring to for a reason), I sincerely believe Dino can get us in the playoff if things align. Of course a lot of schools say that. But I never thought we’d be able to say that until I’ve seen what Dinos been able to do and the type of coach he is.

The key is getting the depth that could allow us to withstand injuries that are a natural part of football. I’m optimistic based on the type of talent we’re getting and how the younger guys have played.