OSU Blog W/Cuse Recruits Update | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OSU Blog W/Cuse Recruits Update

Hey Angler, that is good to hear but I would feel better about that statement if Wayne Williams had actually made it to campus, to be honest ive heard some rumblings that Williams may never make it but thats another story. I certainly applaud the staff for getting the kid in for a visit and as we all know sometimes a great visit can change things. Going on from what I have heard from a couple sources I wanted to avoid having fans getting there hopes up on a recruit that from all appearances is a long shot at best. Thanks for the info though, like I said you never knwo in recruiting maybe we can make a big impression.

i wasn't trying to get in a pissing contest with you. i think you're a good contributor here. i was only opining that the staff wouldn't bring him in if they didn't have a puncher's chance. i also like that they aren't afraid to mix it up with the "big boys" and tell kids that you can do anything here that you can do at a "selector" school. SU has its advantages and their should be attempts to seel them on the positives as we all know that other schools are selling them on the perceived negatives.

think most of us on the same team here. i am a realist and understand the difficulties in getting this date to the prom but my position will always be that she ain't gonna go with you if you don't ask her.

that you didn't understand the jest in my questions tells me all i need to know about your intelligence level. my point was that they wouldn't bring him to campus if they didn't feel they had a chance. i'll dumb it down for you next time.

please do. it was a bit ambiguous for me. i can admit that. that being said, i still think you bring these kids on campus even if you don't have a shot. obviously, using that logic, i'd agree with recruits visiting even if we have a very slim chance of landing them. we agree. yay.

i wasn't trying to get in a pissing contest with you. i think you're a good contributor here. i was only opining that the staff wouldn't bring him in if they didn't have a puncher's chance. i also like that they aren't afraid to mix it up with the "big boys" and tell kids that you can do anything here that you can do at a "selector" school. SU has its advantages and their should be attempts to seel them on the positives as we all know that other schools are selling them on the perceived negatives.

think most of us on the same team here. i am a realist and understand the difficulties in getting this date to the prom but my position will always be that she ain't gonna go with you if you don't ask her.
That's a bit circular, no? Staff wouldn't bring in a recruit to campus if they didn't have a puncher's chance, but getting a kid on campus is pretty much considered as having a puncher's chance. Given the circular nature of your logic, I think the snark was a bit undeserved.

That's a bit circular, no? Staff wouldn't bring in a recruit to campus if they didn't have a puncher's chance, but getting a kid on campus is pretty much considered as having a puncher's chance. Given the circular nature of your logic, I think the snark was a bit undeserved.

If you followed the prior posts then you could reason that my original response was to a poster stating, "don't waste your time thinking about whatifs, he's not coming here." It all went from there so as I respect your attempt to break down the logic in my argument but your assertion doesn't apply here.

as i asserted, i don't believe the staff would host a guy if they didn't have a chance with him. This was an opposite view of what some others believe based upon their assertions in this thread. i do apologize for coming off inappropriately in my first remark to jeremy. thereafter, it was met with some ridiculousness which kept this going. my frustration sometimes lies in the way things are worded on this forum in absolutes and the confusion that can cause with the casual observer.

btw, i find myself getting sucked in to this back and forth for the first time on this forum and don't really have the time or inclination to keep it going so i am going to let it go moving forward. i love this forum and its information and certainly don't come here looking for a disagreement.

Mind you before reading this is an Ohio St recruiting blog, but has some updates (crushing blows), on some of the top Cuse targets (Mavety, Holley), as well as some former prospects (Samuel, Brown).
http://menofthescarletandgray.com/2013/08/05/who-will-finish-out-the-2014-class/

Couple interesting things is how Urban Meyer took over Mavety's recruitment, and how it looks like RU will be able to claim they out recruited OSU if they land Noah Brown, since it looks like he tried to commit, only to be turned down.
A finger down my throat.:p

I bet telling high level recruits that SU doesn't want them to visit would play well with recruits.

If you followed the prior posts then you could reason that my original response was to a poster stating, "don't waste your time thinking about whatifs, he's not coming here." It all went from there so as I respect your attempt to break down the logic in my argument but your assertion doesn't apply here.

as i asserted, i don't believe the staff would host a guy if they didn't have a chance with him. This was an opposite view of what some others believe based upon their assertions in this thread. i do apologize for coming off inappropriately in my first remark to jeremy. thereafter, it was met with some ridiculousness which kept this going. my frustration sometimes lies in the way things are worded on this forum in absolutes and the confusion that can cause with the casual observer.

btw, i find myself getting sucked in to this back and forth for the first time on this forum and don't really have the time or inclination to keep it going so i am going to let it go moving forward. i love this forum and its information and certainly don't come here looking for a disagreement.

Stern fans know it as the Benjy Vortex.

No worries, I agree that I dont think this staff is afraid to go after anyone or mix it up with the big boys as you noted. I think this staff can develop into one that can land the upper echelon players and big fish but its really there first class and despite some huge commits to date we are still along ways away from being able to land a Mavety, Holley, Samuels, Applefield etc. I still applaud the staff for getting a visit and taking there best shot, its the right way to do things.

No worries, I agree that I dont think this staff is afraid to go after anyone or mix it up with the big boys as you noted. I think this staff can develop into one that can land the upper echelon players and big fish but its really there first class and despite some huge commits to date we are still along ways away from being able to land a Mavety, Holley, Samuels, Applefield etc. I still applaud the staff for getting a visit and taking there best shot, its the right way to do things.
Just out of curiosity (no disagreement here, simply want to see what folks say!), do you think that if Urban was our HC right now, we would be in the driver's seat for Mavety/Holley/etc.?

Just out of curiosity (no disagreement here, simply want to see what folks say!), do you think that if Urban was our HC right now, we would be in the driver's seat for Mavety/Holley/etc.?

No. SU is not a sexy destination it never will be. When education was sexier than the NFL (40's-60's) SU was a sexy destination because you can get a sexy education for free. SU is a wie destination for those kids that value education over a dream and they can still take advantage of the dream if the dream comes true. Now that is not to say we won't get a decent share of 4 stars (never a 5) but they will be kids that value education, family, and team IMHO.

hate to say it, but yes,probably.

Just look at the respect, or disrespect I should say, that Shafer is getting. it's all perception. Urban the scum has 2 national titles (littered with criminals), he will do, and say anything, but either way he has won. Shafer has been a life time assistant. Perception is huge, so I would say yes we would have at least 2 of the 3. With that said I am thrilled HCSS is leading my team. He is someone we should be proud of. At least we won't have to shower after a couple years, and we start winning big again

No. SU is not a sexy destination it never will be. When education was sexier than the NFL (40's-60's) SU was a sexy destination because you can get a sexy education for free. SU is a wie destination for those kids that value education over a dream and they can still take advantage of the dream if the dream comes true. Now that is not to say we won't get a decent share of 4 stars (never a 5) but they will be kids that value education, family, and team IMHO.

there are plenty of non destination schools that have been signing highly touted prospects. Having the right head is huge

Virginia Tech - Beamer
Northwestern - Fitzgerald
Stanford - Harbaugh/Shaw
Oklahoma St/ Gundy
Vanderbilt - Franklin
Kentucky - Stoops
Pitt is usually around top 30 class