OT: 1996 Bulls vs. 2016 Warriors | Syracusefan.com

OT: 1996 Bulls vs. 2016 Warriors

Eric15

Living Legend
How do people see a hypothetical series between these two all-time great teams playing out?

Chicago:
Harper
Jordan
Pippen
Rodman
Longley
Bench: Kerr, Wennington, Brown, Buechler, Salley

Golden State:
Curry
Thompson
Barnes
Green
Bogut
Bench: Iguodala, Livingston, Barbosa, Ezeli, Rush

They're both such all time great teams. The Warriors really have no flaws. You want to run and go fast? Good luck. You want to slow it down and grind it out? Good luck. You want to go small? Nope. You want to go big? Nope. The key really would be how does Jordan guard Steph. Is he going to be guarding him out at about 35 feet? If so they have a chance. Who guards Jordan? It would be an epic 6-7 game series thats for sure. I just think 1-5 the warriors have way too much shooting and would go small and spread the Bulls out too thin.

The rules of 1996 would allow the Bulls to win because of the fact physicality wasn't completely taken out of the game.
Today you can't handcheck or play physical.
1996 Michael Jordan was past his prime. 2016 Steph Curry is the middle of his prime.
Scottie Pippen is way better than the 2nd best Warrior but Barnes/Iguadola are legit bodies to throw at him. With Tony Kukoc I lean Chicago big time here.
Ron Harper is not as good as Klay Thompson
Dennis Rodman isn't as good offensively as Draymond Green but Rodman was a better defender.
Longley and Bogut are both Australian big guy role player stiffs.

With Michael Jordan I think the Bulls win. As the weakness of those Bulls teams were center and the Warriors couldn't exploit that. Those Bulls teams never faced Hakeem or David Robinson and struggled defending Shaq even though they beat the Magic in 96. They lost to the Magic in 1995.

Bulls in 6.

Depends on what rules you play by. That being said the Bulls were good on D. IMO they would put Pippen on Steph and Jordan on Thompson. Then Rodman would guard Green. Using the 1996 rules they would shut Golden State down. Using today's rules they would still give them fits.

I think we should also wait and see how the playoffs turn out. Golden State has a harder road this year on paper. They would need to beat the Clippers and either the Spurs or OKC to get to the finals. Then a healthier Cleveland team than last year. If they don't win it all then the argument is moot.

Also wanted to add that using the 1996 rules these Warriors would be similar to the 1990s Warriors. Yes this team is more talented than those squads but much like those squads they would struggle physically. Those teams had players like Mullin, Hardaway, Marciulionis, Billy Owens, Sprewell, Weber, Avery Johnson. They had good players but could never do anything because they were small and not physical enough.

Depends on what rules you play by. That being said the Bulls were good on D. IMO they would put Pippen on Steph and Jordan on Thompson. Then Rodman would guard Green. Using the 1996 rules they would shut Golden State down. Using today's rules they would still give them fits.

I think we should also wait and see how the playoffs turn out. Golden State has a harder road this year on paper. They would need to beat the Clippers and either the Spurs or OKC to get to the finals. Then a healthier Cleveland team than last year. If they don't win it all then the argument is moot.

I'm not sure about that. The officals let SAS(Kawhi) be pretty physical with Steph yesterday and he still scored 37.

Also, does anyone actually believe Cleveland has any shot of beating Golden State or San Antonio, cause I don't.

Using today's rules I think the Bulls would be a bigger defensive challenge for the Warriors than vice versa. Curry gets his but Harper and Jordan make Thompson vanish. Rodman eliminates Green.

Nobody on the Warriors covers Michael or Scottie and Kukoc would be a bear to match up with.

Props to everyone for their even-keeled thoughts. I was praying the thread wouldn't get taken over by the "The Bulls would defeat anyone by infinity points" meatheads from my generation.

Props to everyone for their even-keeled thoughts. I was praying the thread wouldn't get taken over by the "The Bulls would defeat anyone by infinity points" meatheads from my generation.

There isn't anyone in this current generation of the NBA that would stand up to the Lakers/Celtics of the 80's or the Bulls of the 90's. Game has been watered down both in talent and in the rules.

That said it would not be a sweep but I cannot see it getting to a game 7. Bulls in 6.

I'm not sure about that. The officals let SAS(Kawhi) be pretty physical with Steph yesterday and he still scored 37.

Also, does anyone actually believe Cleveland has any shot of beating Golden State or San Antonio, cause I don't.

It was more physically draining to be a guard in the 90s. You had to literally back your way up the court while being shoved the whole time. There was zero freedom of movement. Which is why only 2 guards averaged 22 ppg or more in 1996 compared to 7 guys this year.

I am not a fan of Cleveland but with only one player they gave the Warriors a series last year. A play here or there and Cleveland would have been up 3-0.

Nope. The champs will be determined by the winner of the Warriors/Spurs match up. What ever team coming out of the east is going to rolled.

It was more physically draining to be a guard in the 90s. You had to literally back your way up the court while being shoved the whole time. There was zero freedom of movement. Which is why only 2 guards averaged 22 ppg or more in 1996 compared to 7 guys this year.

I am not a fan of Cleveland but with only one player they gave the Warriors a series last year. A play here or there and Cleveland would have been up 3-0.

In fantasy land.

The transitive property doesn't work in sports.

There isn't anyone in this current generation of the NBA that would stand up to the Lakers/Celtics of the 80's or the Bulls of the 90's. Game has been watered down both in talent and in the rules.

That said it would not be a sweep but I cannot see it getting to a game 7. Bulls in 6.

Disagree with this entirely. I watched game 7 of the 84 Finals a couple of weeks ago, and the way the Celtics/Lakers played defense in that game, Steph would of scored 70 against them. Nobody guarded anyone outside of 15 feet. The only player on the court during that game that had any sort of shooting ability to match today's players was Bird.

If we're talking college basketball, I certainly agree. But the idea that the NBA has regressed in skill level over the past 30 years is something I definitely disagree with.

Just the raw athleticism and versatility of athletes today would give players from the 80s fits. I can't fathom Dennis Johnson trying to keep Russell Westbrook in front of him.

How much better is Cleveland with Kyrie and Love though? Better, yea, but I don't necessarily think by a lot. Both those guys play trash defense. SAS has been trying the Cleveland playbook of physical, grind it out games and it got them one win, at home, until GS figured them out again.

I don't think the chemistry is all that great on Cleveland either.

So, yea, Cleveland will be better on offense but with much worse defense and chemistry.

You're right, but even most of the posts in this thread are crazy. Basketball has come a LONG way in 20 years. If you put those Bulls in a time machine and they played the Warriors of today the score would look something like 120-70 in the Warriors favor no matter what rules you play by. Just as Bill Russell's Celtics would have lost by a comparable score to Jordan's Bulls. Its really not even worth a conversation, and its not a knock on the Bulls. People get so caught up in the Jordan mythology that they miss the fact that the Bulls invented the fluid switching defense that the Warriors are employing so effectively right now. Just like the Warriors best line up has 6'8 Green at center, the Bulls best line up had 6'8 Rodman at center. Of course when you compare the two, Green is far stronger, a far better athlete, and far more skilled. Things progress over time, unless like Boxing the popularity of the sport just simply disintegrates. This Warrior's team should stand as a testament to the brilliant system the Bulls invented that improved the sport of basketball. Nobody needs to resort to the intellectually dishonest argument that the Bulls could have played a team from 20 years in the future and hung in the game.

If we're talking college basketball, I certainly agree. But the idea that the NBA has regressed in skill level over the past 30 years is something I definitely disagree with.

Just the raw athleticism and versatility of athletes today would give players from the 80s fits. I can't fathom Dennis Johnson trying to keep Russell Westbrook in front of him.

Over all I think there is less talent to go around to more teams. The NFL suffers from the same thing imo.

I watched an old Jordan highlight where he dunked on Ewing in a 3 on 2 fast break... Those dudes looked tiny!

Watch a 3-2 fast break now and it looks like 5 juiced out condors flying up court.

Well Golden State is better this year. Green, Curry, and Thompson are all better. Cleveland got steamrolled by them this year. I don't see how they make it a game.

I watched 90's NBA. That's what I great up to. There's a reason the rules were changed. Nobody could play offense back then. There weren't as many good shooters. The Bulls and Jazz had games in the finals where they combined for 150 points. The passing/shooting now is 100 percent better than the ISO ball of the 90's.

Disagree with this entirely. I watched game 7 of the 84 Finals a couple of weeks ago, and the way the Celtics/Lakers played defense in that game, Steph would of scored 70 against them. Nobody guarded anyone outside of 15 feet. The only player on the court during that game that had any sort of shooting ability to match today's players was Bird.

I agree that the 80s D was not as good. But the teams in the 80s were deeper by default. You had talent spread over 23 teams vs 30 today.

I watched 90's NBA. That's what I great up to. There's a reason the rules were changed. Nobody could play offense back then. There weren't as many good shooters. The Bulls and Jazz had games in the finals where they combined for 150 points. The passing/shooting now is 100 percent better than the ISO ball of the 90's.

The Pistons, hand-checking, etc. was just absolutely horrible for the sport, in my opinion. Basketball is supposed to be a graceful, fluid and high-scoring game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom