OT: Aaron Sorkin the 2013 commencement speaker | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Aaron Sorkin the 2013 commencement speaker

There was a streak where it was really good. I think it was Koeppel, Rudy Guliani (in the first graduation after 9/11, Bill Clinton, and maybe even someone else. Getting Rudy was huge, and if I remember correctly, someone around here had a big part in it.

You're welcome.

There was a streak where it was really good. I think it was Koeppel, Rudy Guliani (in the first graduation after 9/11, Bill Clinton, and maybe even someone else. Getting Rudy was huge, and if I remember correctly, someone around here had a big part in it.

With Clinton in 03 wearing the NC hat... Classic..

I had Clinton in '03 too. I don't remember it being too much about politics but who cares. It was a former president! He came out in the "2003 National Champions" hat before he got up on stage. Awesome. If I remember correctly he was a somewhat late find as a speaker too.
We were supposed to have Arthur Ashe in 1993, but sadly he passed away, so we had a native american chief who i'm sure was a great man but did not deliver a great speech. Here is the complete list..

http://archives.syr.edu/history/com_speakers.html

Like having all of the homeless secretly killed?
All I'll say is NYC is way nicer to visit than it was in the late 80's. People forget visiting NYC used to be like Fort Apache every day. Times Square was a hell hole and there were guys trying to clean your windows at every stop light.

All I'll say is NYC is way nicer to visit than it was in the late 80's. People forget visiting NYC used to be like Fort Apache every day. Times Square was a hell hole and there were guys trying to clean your windows at every stop light.

For the New Yorkers that bitch about Giuliani, take a look at some of the winners Detroit has elected. I'd take someone that got the job done like Rudy any day of the week.

Some things he did well, others not so much.

You mean like Dave Bing?

Yep. I'm rooting for the state to take receivership of that shitshow. I commend Bing for what he's tried to do, but that city has run itself into the ground for over 40 years. Coleman Young and Kwame Kilpatrick worked out so well, but hey, the people in the city kept electing them, and they kept raping the city.

What you said!

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk

We had Billy Joel, he was terrible. I am pretty sure he was drunk and he was definitely winging it.

I was there too; you are definitely right.

I just missed Phylicia Rashād. I think she would have been cool. In a way, she helped raise everyone from that generation.

Her speech (less than 5 minutes) was terrible.

I just missed Phylicia Rashād. I think she would have been cool. In a way, she helped raise everyone from that generation.

She was beyond awful. Not the upbeat, happy-go-lucky TV character you're thinking of.

Pretty sure that I had the worst speaker ever. The same speaker that a lot of people here had ... it was Mr. or Mrs. __________. I can't remember.

Can't think of a worse graduation speech than one you forget.

We were supposed to have Arthur Ashe in 1993, but sadly he passed away, so we had a native american chief who i'm sure was a great man but did not deliver a great speech. Here is the complete list..

http://archives.syr.edu/history/com_speakers.html
I've heard Oren Lyons speak before and he's a tremendous person who had a great life. Not sure how his commencement was but I enjoyed every second of what he spoke.

I had Carolyn Forché. Never heard of her? Neither did anyone in that attended the graduation.

The law school has Dan Quayle this year.

Its great to have the VP...unless its Quayle, lol.

I hope we get Biden when I graduate next year. It might make sense for him to do it (we can't have someone actively campaigning for office) as he will be looking to possibly garner some strength in key Democratic primary states.

I've heard Oren Lyons speak before and he's a tremendous person who had a great life. Not sure how his commencement was but I enjoyed every second of what he spoke.
I didn't think his speech was great but in fairness that may have had more to do with me than him...

I'm really glad we got Sorkin. Last year's class got kind of hosed with that human genome doctor.

I thought his speech was quite good. It seemed that a lot of the kids who were critical of his selection just resented not being able to tell their friends at other schools that they had a big name as commencement speaker. He turned out well, though. Jamie Dimon, on the other hand, was a disappointing choice.

I had Eliot Spitzer. His was a bit of a stump speech. Not very memorable, except for the part where it began to snow. On May 21st.

The law school has Dan Quayle this year.

Its great to have the VP...unless its Quayle, lol.

I hope we get Biden when I graduate next year. It might make sense for him to do it (we can't have someone actively campaigning for office) as he will be looking to possibly garner some strength in key Democratic primary states.

I have very little faith that we'll get someone who's not just a B-list decent name (like Quayle). Put someone good on it.

My speaker was Ted Sorensen, the adviser and speechwriter in JFK's inner circle.

He was very elderly and rather incoherent during his speech, and rambled on and on about obscure political issues and was bashing George Bush. It got to the point where much of the crowd was visibly and audibly restless, and the whole situation was becoming more and more awkward. The Dean had to take over the mic and tell everyone to settle down and show proper respect.

My conservative grandfather did not take kindly to Sorensen's speech, and at one point shouted out, "This is a graduation ceremony, you a$$hole!" He passed away a few years ago and our family still cracks up about that.

I had Bo Schembechler at my Michigan commencement. Absolutely fantastic, I would have charged San Juan Hill after his speech.
Schembechler gave the commencement address at my daughter's high school graduation in Saline, MI. It was the most boring, uninspired babbling I have ever heard. Even the UM fans in the crowd thought so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom