OT- Alumni emails (@syr) to be closed | Syracusefan.com

OT- Alumni emails (@syr) to be closed

NineOneSeven

2018-19 Iggy Hoops Leader Scorer
Yesterday I received an email to my SYR email account that states the SU ITS can no longer support alumni emails and they will be going away on 5/28/24 due to cybersecurity and storage concerns.

This account I use for essentially anything of importance (although ironically, not this website!), so this really sucks. And less than a month notice? Wouldn't really call that "advanced notice". Going through essentially every account you have and changing the email address is not a simple thing to do.

Heads-up to anyone else that still uses theirs...

Not only that many places use email as your key to the acct . some dont have a way to use a different email for recovery and things.

Like everyone assumes yahoo gmail etc addresses will last forever.

I had my verizon one i was using, then they stopped support and moved things to like yahoo.

same with sites that use phone number back when home phone was your thing and now you give up your home phone and someone picks that number back up and cant create the primary key using the home phone..

Yesterday I received an email to my SYR email account that states the SU ITS can no longer support alumni emails and they will be going away on 5/28/24 due to cybersecurity and storage concerns.

This account I use for essentially anything of importance (although ironically, not this website!), so this really sucks. And less than a month notice? Wouldn't really call that "advanced notice". Going through essentially every account you have and changing the email address is not a simple thing to do.

Heads-up to anyone else that still uses theirs...
Condolences.

They let me use mine for at least 10 years after I graduated.

For a lot of that time, there was no gmail, yahoo, etc. so it was a nice thing to have.

It was a good run.

Condolences.

They let me use mine for at least 10 years after I graduated.

For a lot of that time, there was no gmail, yahoo, etc. so it was a nice thing to have.

It was a good run.
It was supposed to be for life. Less than a month to get things changed around, again for essentially every account, subscription, not to mention just people you may talk with via email, is ridiculous.

The ITS dept. is probably getting roasted right now.

It was supposed to be for life. Less than a month to get things changed around, again for essentially every account, subscription, not to mention just people you may talk with via email, is ridiculous.

Would redirecting stuff from the @syr email to another account still work after it closes?

I had an SBC Global email account years and years ago that I redirected to Gmail. I still get emails forwarded from it, and I have no clue how I would even access it anymore.

Would redirecting stuff from the @syr email to another account still work after it closes?

I had an SBC Global email account years and years ago that I redirected to Gmail. I still get emails forwarded from it, and I have no clue how I would even access it anymore.
Email forwarding will also stop on 5/28.

That does suck. One reason I have kept Spectrum internet even after I got rid of their tv. So much stuff linked to that email.

I hope they have a plan for alumni relations to deal with this.

I know a place that went to do the same thing and then realized almost all the money they got from alumni came from contact using the alumni email addresses. It didnt go over well when millions of dollars stopped rolling in.

I hope they have a plan for alumni relations to deal with this.

I know a place that went to do the same thing and then realized almost all the money they got from alumni came from contact using the alumni email addresses. It didnt go over well when millions of dollars stopped rolling in.
Uhhhh YEAH.

same, hae been thinking I need to start moving to something like gmail.
the cost of Gmail is going thru the roof as is 365 mail.

its a huge money put to pay for email support now.

I had a Yahoo email for a loooong time and finally switched over to Gmail; used the forwarding feature and it misses tons of stuff. I still get emails to my Yahoo account that I don't see.

Damn this sucks. I only log in maybe once per year for accounts I can't change the email but its pretty important.

DraftKings and Fanduel won't let me change emails from the syr one so this really sucks for that.

Since it’s clearly a cost issue and not the security issue they’re claiming, I wish they’d at least give an option to pay $2 a month or something to keep it. I have no idea which accounts/apps I have mine linked to. It’s a 50/50 split with my gmail. This is gonna be a huge pain to figure out and switch.

wait, is there a way to check our .SYR email address before it closes? I graduated late 90s and didn't realize we had access to this. I'm technically moronic so probably self inflicted but would love to grab some old emails in there if possible.

wait, is there a way to check our .SYR email address before it closes? I graduated late 90s and didn't realize we had access to this. I'm technically moronic so probably self inflicted but would love to grab some old emails in there if possible.
They make you reset the password once per year. You'll have to call the myslice IT help desk to do so. It locks with 1 guess wrong on outlook.

I have been to lazy to call because but there's a few things I'll need to access need to stop being lazy and take of it this week. I don't think I can change some of the stuff I signed up using that email with.

I honestly didn't know I had an alumni email.

But when I think of syr.edu email, I think of the old pine system. We were pioneers! And now we're dinosaurs.

I remember trying to explain to my parents what “email” was. Now I end up explaining to my kids that there was a time before email (and texting), and they can’t comprehend it.

I honestly didn't know I had an alumni email.

But when I think of syr.edu email, I think of the old pine system. We were pioneers! And now we're dinosaurs.
thirty years ago one of our friends raved about espn.com so I typed it in the to: line on pine and hit send thinking that would somehow open the site and i thought he was an idiot when absolutely nothing happened