Class of 2021 OT Austyn Kauhi (HI) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
One school is not like the others. See if you can find it

Good high school imo

1591839614557.png

Maybe this guy?

He certainly would qualify as BIG.

God I hope so. I've been defending the Hawaii recruiting effort since it started, to some ridicule.

Bring em home, DFB!

Has exactly the profile we target - good frame, private school kid (with an $11 billion endowment), excellent offer list (all the regional schools you'd want to see offer a kid from Hawaii).

So we are out here pulling kids from Hawaii now. Ok ok

Also correct me if I’m wrong. But a lot of the Hawaii kids that make it to the mainland to play P5 football normally turn out to be pretty good. I think I saw an article somewhere where Hawaii kids had some of the highest percentages of any state for kids that went to play FBS football then to get drafted.

that's not a DB pushing that SUV
It might be.

Austyn is #2 on the left.

Nearly two months have passed since Syracuse became the third FBS program to offer Kamehameha junior Austyn Kauhi a scholarship.

Since then, Kauhi’s consistent work have added nearly 10 pounds to his frame. The 6-foot-5 offensive lineman now weighs 270 pounds.

UNLV became the latest school to make an offer to him. The list of 10 offers now reads like this.

In chronological order:

Navy (AAC)

Hawaii (MWC)

Syracuse (ACC)

Idaho (Big Sky)

San Jose State (MWC)

Nevada (MWC)

Central Michigan (MAC)

San Diego State (MWC)

Fresno State (MWC)

UNLV (MWC)

“I don’t think it’s overwhelming. It just flows with everything,” Kauhi said on Thursday.

He is keeping an open mind, especially during these surreal moments of the COVID-19 lockdown.

“I don’t know too much about the school itself, but I know a lot a people who like to go there. I talked to the O-line coach, Coach Cameron (Norcross),” Kauhi said.

Norcross was the O-line coach at Vanderbilt for four years before coming to UNLV. Prior to that, he was at Fresno State and Nevada. The new head coach is Marcus Arroyo, who was assistant head coach and offensive coordinator at Oregon.

“It brings a lot of things. Experience,” Kauhi said. “They’re bringing that collective knowledge all together.”

Rutgers, Army and Kansas have not made offers, but are in contact with Kauhi.

“We keep in touch. Rutgers, I’m in touch with the running backs coach, O-line coach and head coach. The Big Ten is a better conference, but it’s not really (a factor),” Kauhi said. “I don’t have a top three yet. I’m kind of open.”

The online classes and backyard workouts continue. Gaining eight or so pounds in two months while lifting and running nearly every day is noteworthy.

“I think it’s muscle, a combination of everything I do. Ladders, cones and bungee resistance bands,” he said. “I just don’t want to go over 280 for now.”

The consistent work means Kauhi will be fairly light on his feet whenever the pandemic eases enough for schools to re-open. Kamehameha always has depth on both sides of the ball, but what if injuries and illness create a shortage of bodies on the defensive line?

“I have never played defense before. Defensive line? I’ll play wherever,” said Kauhi, who did not play football until eighth grade. “I’d get a sack. Guarantee.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom