OT: bad optics for SU | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: bad optics for SU

My daughter goes to NJIT and because we live in a “hot” state, she has to quarantine on campus for 14 days. Her choices are to go August 8 and quarantine in her own room, or show up on August 24 and quarantine for 14 days in temporary housing. She has to pay a mandatory $20 per day for food they will drop outside her room 3x a day.

How many of her classes are online vs in person?

Why? What's the justification for paying less tuition? You're assuming the learning is inferior?

Just keep in mind though... expenses are the same for colleges regardless of how many students are on campus. People sometimes don't understand that most of these universities make little money to began with.
Understand your argument but why do some schools reduce the cost. And I mean large, major universities. This was the basis for the news story, how some cut the costs and some even increased the cost.
Schools reduce cost for individual students all the time usually in the form of grants. Go to Microsoft or Apple and ask for millions/ billions in grant money so students can use their services to get an online education.

A lot of businesses have raised prices because of the pandemic. There's extra costs associated with managing safety and people to provide services. It's not just colleges.

Just read an article where RIT has secured 600 hotel rooms with a package for 14 day quarantine at a hotel for $780 includes meals. Hotels not offering meals, kids get a $420 prepaid debit card good at area hotels and stores. How those kids are supposed to go ou for food while quarantined, I don't know.

Grubhub, Uber eats, door dash.

If you're coming from a "hot" state, you have to self-quarantine for 14 days..

First year and transfer students can quarantine on campus:

Upperclassmen have to quarantine off campus:

Ok, call me interested. Is this just in order for upperclassmen to live on campus? Not sure they could enforce this for anyone living off campus. At another school my junior son just moved into his off campus house this weekend. Classes don't start for 3 weeks so quarantine would not be a problem if necessary (it's not). Nobody from the university knows he's there. He won't likely speak or communicate with anyone from the university until the first day of classes. What is to prevent someone that lives off campus from flying in from Miami and going to class the next day?

Ok, call me interested. Is this just in order for upperclassmen to live on campus? Not sure they could enforce this for anyone living off campus. At another school my junior son just moved into his off campus house this weekend. Classes don't start for 3 weeks so quarantine would not be a problem if necessary (it's not). Nobody from the university knows he's there. He won't likely speak or communicate with anyone from the university until the first day of classes. What is to prevent someone that lives off campus from flying in from Miami and going to class the next day?
Most places have some form of honor code, but nothing really for the institutions that I am familiar with.

Most places have some form of honor code, but nothing really for the institutions that I am familiar with.

SU is requiring proof of a negative Covid test within ten days of the student swiping their ID at a university facility. No negative test, no access to campus.

Do the right thing SU and cover the cost for those students.

How many students is that affecting?

Do right by them SU.
I see both sides. I tend to agree with Alsacs here with a caveat.

SU can cover themselves and could tell the students to pay upfront for the lodging and they will get a credit to their first semester bill in mid September. To protects them if a student bolts before Labor Day.

Anyone deplaning from one of the 34 "bad" states is required to fill out a form stating where they are going and how they intend to self-isolate for 14 days. This entire scenario has been discussed in previous posts.

Anyone deplaning from one of the 34 "bad" states is required to fill out a form stating where they are going and how they intend to self-isolate for 14 days. This entire scenario has been discussed in previous posts.
I'm currently doing King Andy's quarantine.

It sucks...but I'm complying.

Deplaning but anyone driving in pulls into their hotel or home or whatever and is on the honor system right? At least I know someone from Minnesota who drove in was told to fill out the form, stayed for business for 2 days, and left. No form filled out.

Deplaning but anyone driving in pulls into their hotel or home or whatever and is on the honor system right? At least I know someone from Minnesota who drove in was told to fill out the form, stayed for business for 2 days, and left. No form filled out.
You fly into NY airports they are there meeting you. I suppose you can dodge them. I could have easily at the SYR airport. I'm not sure if they actually will scrub the pax manifest of every flight coming in from a evil state.

If I was in a huge pickle and have to fly into NY for a few days I suppose risking it is an option.

I'll tell you this: it has crippled air travel. We had 150 or so on my St Pete to Syr flight in June and had 25 on our flight in late July.

Deplaning but anyone driving in pulls into their hotel or home or whatever and is on the honor system right?
Not exactly, with the federal funding for contact tracing we've recruited unemployed hunters who were issued dart guns. People who try to dodge the health officials after their cars were traced via drones and electronic toll cameras are darted and subjected to a quick and relatively painless physical examination. Blood and saliva are collected for antibody and PCR tests and they are fitted with a GPS tracking collar. After that they are left alone in a shaded area until they awaken and are allowed to scamper off none the worse for wear.

National news over the weekend had a story about how some colleges are lowering tuition for remote/online classes this semester due to attendance problems due to the pandemic. Then mentioned how some are adding costs for students to isolate/quarantine for 14 days per local requirements. SU was one of three mentioned. I believe Michigan was sited as public uni doing the same.

Candidly, the “worse” optics for SU this week is the story about the local business owner (and her husband) which has gone viral and has them plastered in SU gear and posing with Otto. The one where she trumpets that her child should go to school in place of special needs kids because her daughter will “go farther in life”.

SUOrange44

Understand your argument but why do some schools reduce the cost. And I mean large, major universities. This was the basis for the news story, how some cut the costs and some even increased the cost.
Schools reduce cost for individual students all the time usually in the form of grants. Go to Microsoft or Apple and ask for millions/ billions in grant money so students can use their services to get an online education.
The short answer is that I really don't know. What I do know, is that many universities (like the one my wife works at) are really sweating over losing students, and not just for a semester or two. The online version from most schools probably won't be any better than some school like the university of phoenix (and maybe worse because most faculty don't really know how to do it well).

Many parents are pulling their kids, understandably so, for this very reason. Why pay top dollar for an inferior product over another option that is a fraction the cost and similar quality? This very thing happened with my nephew's roommate. He was responsible for his own tuition and decided that at least for now, it makes more sense to stay home, save money, and continue his education somewhere other than Baylor.

I would think that colleges are doing whatever they can to NOT lose students. Therefore, it would be my best guess that is what is motivating them to reduce tuition. Where my wife teaches (private college in Tampa), administration isn't cutting costs but delivering strict guidelines to faculty about the amount of teaching in person they must do. My wife has never seen the administration take such a strong position towards them. Scary times = you know.

Isn't it more of a suggestion in New Jersey? I was looking at heading back to the beach for a week, and I didn't read anything that said I'd be fined or fed to sharks.
It is. But the college has mandatory on-campus quarantine for students from hot states.