OT: bad optics for SU | Syracusefan.com

OT: bad optics for SU

SBU72

All Conference
National news over the weekend had a story about how some colleges are lowering tuition for remote/online classes this semester due to attendance problems due to the pandemic. Then mentioned how some are adding costs for students to isolate/quarantine for 14 days per local requirements. SU was one of three mentioned. I believe Michigan was sited as public uni doing the same.

I too think it is a bad look. Not a surprising one, but a bad one none the less. A friend has a kid who attends Cornell and he claims they are covering hotel stays.

That new roof isn't going to pay for itself.
Isn't that one of the reasons why they did it? If it couldn't return on its investment, why do it.

If you're coming from a "hot" state, you have to self-quarantine for 14 days..

First year and transfer students can quarantine on campus:

Upperclassmen have to quarantine off campus:

If you're coming from a "hot" state, you have to self-quarantine for 14 days..

First year and transfer students can quarantine on campus:

Upperclassmen have to quarantine off campus:

Does that include New Jersey? It feels like Arizona here the past month.

National news over the weekend had a story about how some colleges are lowering tuition for remote/online classes this semester due to attendance problems due to the pandemic. Then mentioned how some are adding costs for students to isolate/quarantine for 14 days per local requirements. SU was one of three mentioned. I believe Michigan was sited as public uni doing the same.

A lot of schools are doing this. There are likely 100's.

I think the issue isn't the quarantine but making the students pay for it.
Yes I agree that's the issue but why any school should pay for it I think is ridiculous. If my wife or I get COVID, our workplace isn't going to put us up in a hotel. Why should colleges?

You're not paying $70,000 to go to work.
Yes, fair point. Still, I don't think the responsibility should be on the school. If a kid gets sick, that should be on them to pay for a room where they can quarantine. Also, if you see what many college aged kids are doing during this pandemic, you might feel a bit less generous. It's one thing if you get the virus while practicing social distancing and wearing a mask. Getting the virus because you went to a packed party should be on you.

Edit: and get off my lawn!

Last edited:
I think the issue isn't the quarantine but making the students pay for it.
I do believe that RIT here in Rochestef is putting kids up in their hotel, no charge. Maybe UofR too.

The other issue is how can schools charge the same tuition for those taking online courses as those on campus. Don't know what SU is doing. The story did mention how parents are suing some schools and that list is growing.

Just read an article where RIT has secured 600 hotel rooms with a package for 14 day quarantine at a hotel for $780 includes meals. Hotels not offering meals, kids get a $420 prepaid debit card good at area hotels and stores. How those kids are supposed to go ou for food while quarantined, I don't know.

Just read an article where RIT has secured 600 hotel rooms with a package for 14 day quarantine at a hotel for $780 includes meals. Hotels not offering meals, kids get a $420 prepaid debit card good at area hotels and stores. How those kids are supposed to go ou for food while quarantined, I don't know.
Is the school eating that cost or passing it along?

I do believe that RIT here in Rochestef is putting kids up in their hotel, no charge. Maybe UofR too.

UR is, RIT is not.

It basically boils down to how many illnesses & deaths each institution, state and as a country we will be able to stomach - In terms of students, staff, faculty and their families. It is incredibly clear that it is a case of money vs. health (otherwise why did the rich schools all go online early?)

Last edited:
Is the school eating that cost or passing it along?
Passing it along. Costs will apear on their school bill. Article said something to the effect that the cost of 14 day difference from their room and board is being used to fund the cost of the expense of setting it all up. Sort of likeca handling fee?

Passing it along. Costs will apear on their school bill. Article said something to the effect that the cost of 14 day difference from their room and board is being used to fund the cost of the expense of setting it all up. Sort of likeca handling fee?
Schools don't have the capacity to eat costs such as this. Where would the money come from?

My daughter goes to NJIT and because we live in a “hot” state, she has to quarantine on campus for 14 days. Her choices are to go August 8 and quarantine in her own room, or show up on August 24 and quarantine for 14 days in temporary housing. She has to pay a mandatory $20 per day for food they will drop outside her room 3x a day.

I tried to have her go to NY and quarantine at my mother’s house for 14 days, but they require the quarantine to be on campus if your home of record is in a hot state.

My daughter goes to NJIT and because we live in a “hot” state, she has to quarantine on campus for 14 days. Her choices are to go August 8 and quarantine in her own room, or show up on August 24 and quarantine for 14 days in temporary housing. She has to pay a mandatory $20 per day for food they will drop outside her room 3x a day.

I tried to have her go to NY and quarantine at my mother’s house for 14 days, but they require the quarantine to be on campus if your home of record is in a hot state.

Isn't it more of a suggestion in New Jersey? I was looking at heading back to the beach for a week, and I didn't read anything that said I'd be fined or fed to sharks.

The other issue is how can schools charge the same tuition for those taking online courses as those on campus. Don't know what SU is doing. The story did mention how parents are suing some schools and that list is growing.
Why? What's the justification for paying less tuition? You're assuming the learning is inferior?

Just keep in mind though... expenses are the same for colleges regardless of how many students are on campus. People sometimes don't understand that most of these universities make little money to began with.

Roll it into the loan, they won't even notice.

Why? What's the justification for paying less tuition? You're assuming the learning is inferior?

Just keep in mind though... expenses are the same for colleges regardless of how many students are on campus. People sometimes don't understand that most of these universities make little money to began with.

Expenses actually go up for remote learning for a school. The money that is saved by reduced learning, electricity usage etc... is more than offset by additional licenses etc... The vast majority of schools are configured to break even. Typically 2-3% profit goes to the endowment.