OT - basketball injuries | Syracusefan.com

OT - basketball injuries

CuseFaninVT

2023-24 Iggy Winner Leading Rebounder
I was getting ready to play in an old man league game the other night on the sidelines when I heard a weird and awful noise from the other end of the gym and then a bit of a scream. Looked down and saw a guy on the floor writhing in pain and figured out the noise I heard came from his lower leg which almost made me 'pack my ball and go.' My PT was playing in that game and diagnosed the injury after the completion of their game. Total rupture of the Achilles. Awful. And something I will think about every time I tie my own laces up from here on out.

Have to stretch your legs and calves the older you get. Make sure you have shoes that fit your feet. If your achilles is sore it's time to rest it.

I was getting ready to play in an old man league game the other night on the sidelines when I heard a weird and awful noise from the other end of the gym and then a bit of a scream. Looked down and saw a guy on the floor writhing in pain and figured out the noise I heard came from his lower leg which almost made me 'pack my ball and go.' My PT was playing in that game and diagnosed the injury after the completion of their game. Total rupture of the Achilles. Awful. And something I will think about every time I tie my own laces up from here on out.

I stopped playing hoops years ago. If I did that and couldnt play golf I would crawl in the corner and assume the fetal position for months sucking my thumb

I remember my 9th grade earth science teacher walked strangely because he tore his calf muscle in half playing volleyball. It still makes me cringe imagining my calf muscle all rolled up tight behind my knee.

I stopped playing hoops years ago. If I did that and couldnt play golf I would crawl in the corner and assume the fetal position for months sucking my thumb

LOL I haven't played in about 5-6 years but the last 10 I simply started falling and rolling anytime I landed funny on and ankle or anything. I guess I became a puss about turning my ankles as I got older but I preferred a road rash or bruise over limping around for two weeks.

Uggh. I stopped playing this past summer. Back would end up out of place nearly every time I played. That coupled with not wanting to tear an acl again (still makes me think about it 10 yrs after doing it) is enough.