OT - bench seating order | Syracusefan.com

OT - bench seating order

“We never sat down and said this is how it’s going to be,” said the Seton Hall assistant Grant Billmeier, whose assigned seat during the Pirates’ tournament run this season was the fourth from the scorer’s table, never the third, and always next to the seventh player in the rotation. “It just sort of happens.”
In the same vein, I don't understand some of the new offices philosophies that have no assigned desks/cubes and it's just a free-for-all when people come in. I'm very much a creature of habit and I'd still go to the same desk every day in that case. I'd be out of sorts if I came in and someone else was seated there.

In the same vein, I don't understand some of the new offices philosophies that have no assigned desks/cubes and it's just a free-for-all when people come in. I'm very much a creature of habit and I'd still go to the same desk every day in that case. I'd be out of sorts if I came in and someone else was seated there.

Wow I would quit immediately

Is that a shot at Boeheim at the end there? They note he likes to have the trainer near him and then the article concludes with saying that some benches "say a lot about a coach" in a negative connotation and ends with a quote "But I never had the trainer next to me." Not that I care much, but it seemed like a cheap shot. The NYT has seemingly been doing that lately to JB.

I never understood why Hopkins wasn't immediately next to Boeheim. Tracking fouls, time, etc, and getting/making first-hand input into strategies. Having Hopkins down the line somewhere seemed like a waste of resources. Needing continuous 'injury-related intel' seems just bizarre.

I thought I used to see the "stat" person on the bench next to JB. It used to be Bernie who appeared to track things during games next to him. Afterwards I remember for a while some guy with red hair who appeared to keep track of stats being next to him. I don't recall Ryan Cabiles nor Brad Pike sitting next to him.

Is that a shot at Boeheim at the end there? They note he likes to have the trainer near him and then the article concludes with saying that some benches "say a lot about a coach" in a negative connotation and ends with a quote "But I never had the trainer next to me." Not that I care much, but it seemed like a cheap shot. The NYT has seemingly been doing that lately to JB.
The source of that quote is Emmitt Davis, so take it for what it's worth.

I think Frank was perhaps shielded from one coach so that Red, his recruiter, could coddle and keep his head up while the head coach was ripping him (deservedly).

Last edited:

Just bring a pillow and blanket to lie on the ground in front of your computer!

I never understood why Hopkins wasn't immediately next to Boeheim.

I've always wondered the same thing. With basically every other team in America, the coaches are all huddled up next to each other, but with Syracuse it's always been players and coaches intermingled. Perhaps JB wants to maximize interaction between players and assistant coaches on the bench, or maybe it's because he simply doesn't want advice in the middle of a game. I'm guessing it's a combination of the two.

All these posts and nobody wondered why Tony Bland is wearing a button-down shirt, buttoned to the collar, without a tie.

Weird.

The source of that quote is Emmitt Davis, so take it for what it's worth.

Yeah, he's my former boss. Good guy, a little superstitious, with a somewhat touchy opinion toward SU and Boeheim.

Yeah, he's my former boss. Good guy, a little superstitious, with a somewhat touchy opinion toward SU and Boeheim.

Weird that after all his years at Colgate, Temple, Tulsa, Navy etc and only being 51-52 years old when fired from Colgate, that he's not coaching anywhere.

Weird that after all his years at Colgate, Temple, Tulsa, Navy etc and only being 51-52 years old when fired from Colgate, that he's not coaching anywhere.

He had a pretty serious heart attack a couple years ago, so I think that's prompted him to slow down a bit. That is a tough life, especially with a family.

He had a pretty serious heart attack a couple years ago, so I think that's prompted him to slow down a bit. That is a tough life, especially with a family.

I agree. So sorry to hear that. Way too young and too stressful an occupation for serious heart issues. Hope he got a decent buyout to help finance a slow down, doubt he got rich from coaching there.

Another story written by a Syracuse grad (and former DO writer) -- not that I think anything negative was intended by the Pike reference or the Davis quote, but you would think that Boeheim would have realized by now that treating all the DO kids poorly can impact you later when they become part of the national media that he tries to be so nice to...

I thought I used to see the "stat" person on the bench next to JB. It used to be Bernie who appeared to track things during games next to him. Afterwards I remember for a while some guy with red hair who appeared to keep track of stats being next to him. I don't recall Ryan Cabiles nor Brad Pike sitting next to him.
I believe the head manager has the responsibilities for fouls, to's, etc.

The oddest thing here is the quote from Gino Auriemma:
"“The young guys think if they sit closer to me, they’re going to get in earlier,” the Connecticut women’s coach Geno Auriemma said.

"Guys?"???????????????????

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom