OT: Big East TV Deal | Syracusefan.com

OT: Big East TV Deal

TexanMark

Tailgate Guru
It is a seller's market if they expect to get a contract in the teens. If ESPN doesn't get the contract renegotiated it appears that NBC would like a Notre Dame/Big East double header on NBC.

http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=567006

All this leads me to beleive the ACC should get in the mid/upper teens either by offer or arbitration.

I have buddy who is working for the firm the ACC retained he told me he expects arbitration between the ACC and ESPN in the re-negotiation and basically ESPN will put a provision into the contract that future expansion will not reopen the contract between the parties. So, I would guess the Rutgers and UConn folk should be unpack and expect to remain in the Big East for awhile because I doubt with Notre Dame not going anywhere the expansion is done until the Big 12 adds Lousiville and BYU/Cincinnati.

I don't know if the Big East will go to NBC while the football schools will love the exposure on NBC/NBC Sports Network the Basketball-onlies will have a hard time giving up the ESPN exposure. If they sign with NBC good buy to the big time marketing of ESPN and the Big East Tournament will go down in stature without ESPN promoting it. I expect the Big East to get 10-14 million a year and the ACC will probably be 16-19 million a year.

It is a seller's market if they expect to get a contract in the teens. If ESPN doesn't get the contract renegotiated it appears that NBC would like a Notre Dame/Big East double header on NBC.

http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=567006

All this leads me to beleive the ACC should get in the mid/upper teens either by offer or arbitration.

NBC would be insane to show BE football, much less pay for it. But ND sees that as the last desperate act to try to keep the BE propped up with enough reputation that ND staying in it for all sports but football works.

NBC would be much better off persuading ND to bite the bullet and join the ACC with NBC showing 1 ACC football game each Saturday and a couple more prime time Saturday night games, 9 or 10 of them with ND. If that were paired with NBC showing 1 or 2 weekend basketball games and NBC's Versus showing all ACC baseball and lacrosse the ESPN does not show, NBC would become a major player in college sports once again.

NBC would be insane to show BE football, much less pay for it. But ND sees that as the last desperate act to try to keep the BE propped up with enough reputation that ND staying in it for all sports but football works.

NBC would be much better off persuading ND to bite the bullet and join the ACC with NBC showing 1 ACC football game each Saturday and a couple more prime time Saturday night games, 9 or 10 of them with ND. If that were paired with NBC showing 1 or 2 weekend basketball games and NBC's Versus showing all ACC baseball and lacrosse the ESPN does not show, NBC would become a major player in college sports once again.

Why would ESPN allow the ACC to get on NBC?

If the Big East gets over $12Mil payout per team i will be shocked.

Its all about content. The BE will get a good contract because outlets have unquenchable thirst for sports programming.

Well at the rate they're going, we should expect to see a total 18 football teams and 32 basketball teams in the Big East by 2014. By then, the payout should be quite slim for each participating school

Why would ESPN allow the ACC to get on NBC?

They wouldn't. Woad Blue must have forgotten that little detail about ESPN owning all ACC media rights until the middle of the next decade.

But I'd also be shocked if ESPN didn't pony up more $$$ to the ACC if later expansion included Notre Dame (not that this is likely to happen). If they have such a clause in the final contract it's to ensure Rutgers and UConn don't go begging to get in, but, psst...ND...it's not meant to prevent you if you're interested. ;) ;)

Cheers,
Neil

Wasn't the deal that the BE turned down before SU and Pitt set sail worth 11 million per year? Seems they would have been better off listening to people like Daryl Gross and taking that deal. Sure would have saved a lot of headache, heartache, and, oh, maybe the conference. Just saying. Marinatto really screwed the pooch.

Its all about content. The BE will get a good contract because outlets have unquenchable thirst for sports programming.

Correct, live sports is the most valuable content in media these days.

The issue for the Big East, as it has always been, is the gap between it's deal (current and future) and other power conference deals (current and future). They desperately need to close that gap so member schools don't get totally steamrolled in the ever-escalating college athletics arms race.

There's zero doubt that the league will grow its media revenue considerably from where it is now.

Going to NBC would help the Big East and ND. It keeps the big east more stable if they get the cash and keeps a nice home for the Irish hoops team. Plus, ESPN is over saturated and is kissing the SEC's ass so going to NBC and having them actually say positive things about the conference would also help them perception wise as well. I think this would be a great a great move for them and wouldn't be surprised at all if they get a very solid deal out of this, even better than ESPN offered.

Sports content is king, but damn South Florida vs Memphis in football is unappealing.

Not an option, the ACC signed the first deal in the last round of negotiations and bundled all of their rights. They are locked up until 2023 with ESPN, and ESPN is probably going to look for additional years if there is a bump. They aren't going anywhere.

Correct, live sports is the most valuable content in media these days.

The issue for the Big East, as it has always been, is the gap between it's deal (current and future) and other power conference deals (current and future). They desperately need to close that gap so member schools don't get totally steamrolled in the ever-escalating college athletics arms race.

There's zero doubt that the league will grow its media revenue considerably from where it is now.

Right.

The reports of the BE's death have been greatly exaggerated.

And, I think the BE is smarter than many on this board presume.

Sports content is king, but damn South Florida vs Memphis in football is unappealing.

Maybe.

But at one time University of Miami was an unappealing football program.

And when I attended my first BE BB game, I was less than excited to see Seton Hall.

Context is very important when it comes to sports TV.

I have buddy who is working for the firm the ACC retained he told me he expects arbitration between the ACC and ESPN in the re-negotiation and basically ESPN will put a provision into the contract that future expansion will not reopen the contract between the parties. So, I would guess the Rutgers and UConn folk should be unpack and expect to remain in the Big East for awhile because I doubt with Notre Dame not going anywhere the expansion is done until the Big 12 adds Lousiville and BYU/Cincinnati.
Well, they could put in the current contract what revenue changes will occur if 1,2, n teams are added. They won't have to negotiate for every addition.

Well, they could put in the current contract what revenue changes will occur if 1,2, n teams are added. They won't have to negotiate for every addition.

That's what should worry the UConn and Rutgers fans the most. If it's locked in, then there is likely no financial incentive for further expansion. And I still don't think there's any appreciable chance of Notre Dame walking through that door.

Right.

The reports of the BE's death have been greatly exaggerated.

And, I think the BE is smarter than many on this board presume.

Yeah, the BE isn't going to die. Not sure if what happens will be characterized as "flourishing" since I suspect a large gap between the BE and the other 5 power leagues will still exist. But most of the member schools will be better off, relatively speaking.

I'm not sure I'd call BE leadership "smart" though. They've pursued an obvious path to survival. "Smart" leadership would have avoided this predicament to begin with.

If they in the double-digits, I'll be shocked.

Just because everyone else is negotiating and walking away rich doesn't mean that losing arguably your three most valuable properties and replacing them with ConferenceUSA schools means you're going to cash in too. The Big East may get less than the deal they passed on.

If they in the double-digits, I'll be shocked.

Just because everyone else is negotiating and walking away rich doesn't mean that losing arguably your three most valuable properties and replacing them with ConferenceUSA schools means you're going to cash in too. The Big East may get less than the deal they passed on.

Football runs the TV revenue.

I hate to admit it, but the following teams I suspect draw more eyeballs for football than SU does - at least right now: Navy, SMU, Houston, Boise State and SD State.

I have no data to back up my conclusion so take it for what it's worth.

I have no doubt, however, that Boise State far outdraws SU on a national basis.

Yeah, the BE isn't going to die. Not sure if what happens will be characterized as "flourishing" since I suspect a large gap between the BE and the other 5 power leagues will still exist. But most of the member schools will be better off, relatively speaking.

I'm not sure I'd call BE leadership "smart" though. They've pursued an obvious path to survival. "Smart" leadership would have avoided this predicament to begin with.

Sometimes smart leadership is not allowed to execute its plan.

I completely agree until the Big East splits from the hybrid model it will never be as successful as other leagues. The problem with the Big East is that all the power has come from the smallest BCS school in any conference Providence College, and all the leadership cares about is maintaining the status quo and protecting Providence College. The Big East contract will be an increase and probably in the 10-13 million a year per school range, but if Rutgers, UCONN, Cincinnati, Louisville, Memphis, USF, UCF, Houston, SMU, Temple created their own sports league I am sure they would get simliar contract to the one they will have to share with Providence, Seton Hall, Georgetown, Villanova, Seton Hall, Marquette, DePaul, Notre Dame. Villanova, Marquette, Notre Dame and Georgetown to some extent are valuable properties to the networks for basketball having the other 4 mouths to feed lower the overall value of the league contract. Those extra 4 mouths are what we will always keep the Big East below other major conferences and with Marianatto and whomever from PC succeeds him nothing will ever change.
Big East leadership is the one number reason I am glad we are leaving. The Big East Conference has been good to SU, and the rivalries were great and will be missed but the fact the leadership craves for the status quo until they have NO CHOICE is enough for me to want to be free from the leadership.

Sometimes smart leadership is not allowed to execute its plan.

Well we'll never know, I guess.

I look at what Larry Scott has done for the Pac-12, which is nothing short of remarkable. That kind of vision was sorely needed by the BE, and for lots of reasons it didn't happen.

They've done well back in 2003/04 and again in 2011/12 to survive.

I completely agree until the Big East splits from the hybrid model it will never be as successful as other leagues. The problem with the Big East is that all the power has come from the smallest BCS school in any conference Providence College, and all the leadership cares about is maintaining the status quo and protecting Providence College. The Big East contract will be an increase and probably in the 10-13 million a year per school range, but if Rutgers, UCONN, Cincinnati, Louisville, Memphis, USF, UCF, Houston, SMU, Temple created their own sports league I am sure they would get simliar contract to the one they will have to share with Providence, Seton Hall, Georgetown, Villanova, Seton Hall, Marquette, DePaul, Notre Dame. Villanova, Marquette, Notre Dame and Georgetown to some extent are valuable properties to the networks for basketball having the other 4 mouths to feed lower the overall value of the league contract. Those extra 4 mouths are what we will always keep the Big East below other major conferences and with Marianatto and whomever from PC succeeds him nothing will ever change.
Big East leadership is the one number reason I am glad we are leaving. The Big East Conference has been good to SU, and the rivalries were great and will be missed but the fact the leadership craves for the status quo until they have NO CHOICE is enough for me to want to be free from the leadership.

The "hybrid" membership model, in and of itself, was fine, if not a strength. The problem was the way it has been managed.

Two distinctly different issues.