OT: Big East TV Deal | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Big East TV Deal

Well we'll never know, I guess.

I look at what Larry Scott has done for the Pac-12, which is nothing short of remarkable. That kind of vision was sorely needed by the BE, and for lots of reasons it didn't happen.

They've done well back in 2003/04 and again in 2011/12 to survive.

i think the Big East have put a patch over the hole in the hull

That's what should worry the UConn and Rutgers fans the most. If it's locked in, then there is likely no financial incentive for further expansion. And I still don't think there's any appreciable chance of Notre Dame walking through that door.
It's not worth worrying about. We just have to win games, sell out our stadium, watch games on TV and support our teams/school. Just like everyone else. We don't know what will happen with the B1G, SEC or Big 12. The Big East is in the weakest position of the BCS conferences. One could make a strong argument that the ACC's mediocre long term 3-tier TV deal puts them a step below the other 4 conferences and increases their risk for instability.

Just not that simple.

Of course. But I would contend that good leadership involves getting things accomplished. Swofford was a good leader, Scott's a good leader, Delaney and Kramer were good leaders. All built consensus and moved their organizations forward. The Big East has survived, but one would be hard pressed to call what they've done moving "forward".

There was a failure of membership and leadership. Really impossible to argue otherwise.

It's not worth worrying about. We just have to win games, sell out our stadium, watch games on TV and support our teams/school. Just like everyone else. We don't know what will happen with the B1G, SEC or Big 12. The Big East is in the weakest position of the BCS conferences. One could make a strong argument that the ACC's mediocre long term 3-tier TV deal puts them a step below the other 4 conferences and increases their risk for instability.
What is going to hurt the Big East is Marinatto protecting Providence College basketball instead of trying to create a long term solution for the conference. That is why Tranghese retired he didn't want to deal with both the basketball-onlies and football schools interests. Also, will the leadership of the Big East be able to get any improved bowl partners. The thing people aren't talking about after the BCS meetings were that automatic bids are gone and conferences can negoitate with the bowls themselves. Thus, you can expect the Rose to remain B1G v. P12, Sugar to remain SEC, Fiesta to remain B12, and Orange to remain ACC not having an anchor for the Big East will really hurt the conference. While I wish no ill will towards our former Big East partners if you think Marinatto will be able to negotiate good bowl agreements for the Big East you have to drink the kool-aid. I admit SU doesn't have the best traveling reputation, but not many Big East schools do either and without having an automatic BCS bid the Big East could get a contract paying each school 10-13 million but a 1 loss Big East champ wouldn't be guaranteed to being playing in a BCS bowl without having an anchor bowl for the conference.

Right.

The reports of the BE's death have been greatly exaggerated.

And, I think the BE is smarter than many on this board presume.

So they were smart to put themselves into a position where Syracuse, Pitt and WVa felt they had no other choice than to get out to save their brands? Marinatto, ND, etc, pushed SU out by turning down the TV deal in the first place, a deal that is basically providing the same amount of money that this new deal supposedly will. Bbut the new deal involve more mouths at the table. I fail to see how Marinatto was smart through this whole mess. His inability to make decisive moves when it mattered really turned the BE from a potential player to an afterthought. Maybe this is what ND wanted? Maybe they wanted Syracuse, Pitt and WVa out of the way so they had more power to manipulate the future to their benefit. In turn, Marinatto has now pinned the future of his conference to a program that isn't even a full fledged member.

The BE is two or three defections away from being completey irrelevant. If they lose Louisvile for both sports, UConn for hoops (which they essentially have thanks to the NCAA) and either Cincy leaves, Boise leaves or ND decides to join a conference in the next 5 years, the BE will be dead.

As a Syracuse fan, I would not feel comfortable being in a conference where ND has the ability to drive the bus...and jump off whenever they want.

I think the Big East might do okay under the new structure...they have schools close to warm weather bowls (FL, CA and TX schools) and two well known schools that will travel (Boise and Louisville) and Notre Dame might be forced to hook up with them bowl wise...I'm not saying they'll be better than the Big 5 but they should do ok. It is not out of the realm of possibility they get hooked up with the Orange, Citrus or Jerry Jones Bowls.

Just not that simple.
honestly, it is.

and for you to think that what ever is left in the bigeast is going to be a success, means you are crazy.

and you are not crazy.

with the ACC covering the entire Atlantic, and the b1g and the SEC covering anything left that could be remotely considered 'Atlantic', the bigeast is done.

they will survive as a confusa/wac/mwc...but the glory days are over.

they must have you on their payroll or something. :noidea:

Oh Lord

If they in the double-digits, I'll be shocked.

Just because everyone else is negotiating and walking away rich doesn't mean that losing arguably your three most valuable properties and replacing them with ConferenceUSA schools means you're going to cash in too. The Big East may get less than the deal they passed on.

ND's relationship with NBC will help boost those numbers and if a solid deal is reached it will help ND remain an independent in football. As much as I'd like the big east to go away I think it'll remain as a stone in the shoe for us for a bit of time to come, especially if they find a way to wiggle into the pseudo BCS/playoff conference "championship".

honestly, it is.

and for you to think that what ever is left in the bigeast is going to be a success, means you are crazy.

and you are not crazy.

with the ACC covering the entire Atlantic, and the b1g and the SEC covering anything left that could be remotely considered 'Atlantic', the bigeast is done.

they will survive as a confusa/wac/mwc...but the glory days are over.

they must have you on their payroll or something. :noidea:

Oh Lord

Well, some think I'm crazy, but times are changing and modern media including television, radio, the internet etc. all need content.

So, I think you will see that the BE will do very well - far better than most on this board presumed.

As far as football is concerned, I'm not sure there ever were any "glory days" - the BE even with SU, Pitt and the rest was never viewed with much respect by the major college football community.

Again, I am most pleased with the move to the ACC - I have been calling for it since 2003.

And it will be a lot of fun.

So they were smart to put themselves into a position where Syracuse, Pitt and WVa felt they had no other choice than to get out to save their brands? Marinatto, ND, etc, pushed SU out by turning down the TV deal in the first place, a deal that is basically providing the same amount of money that this new deal supposedly will. Bbut the new deal involve more mouths at the table. I fail to see how Marinatto was smart through this whole mess. His inability to make decisive moves when it mattered really turned the BE from a potential player to an afterthought. Maybe this is what ND wanted? Maybe they wanted Syracuse, Pitt and WVa out of the way so they had more power to manipulate the future to their benefit. In turn, Marinatto has now pinned the future of his conference to a program that isn't even a full fledged member.

The BE is two or three defections away from being completey irrelevant. If they lose Louisvile for both sports, UConn for hoops (which they essentially have thanks to the NCAA) and either Cincy leaves, Boise leaves or ND decides to join a conference in the next 5 years, the BE will be dead.

As a Syracuse fan, I would not feel comfortable being in a conference where ND has the ability to drive the bus...and jump off whenever they want.

No.

I think you misunderstood my post.

I was really referring to the BE strategy after Pitt and SU announced.

I think that strategy has been very clever.

As far as the inner workings of what prompted SU and Pitt to leave are concerned, I don't have much information.

It seems that the many of the members - would not allow the league do what it needed to do.

ND's relationship with NBC will help boost those numbers and if a solid deal is reached it will help ND remain an independent in football. As much as I'd like the big east to go away I think it'll remain as a stone in the shoe for us for a bit of time to come, especially if they find a way to wiggle into the pseudo BCS/playoff conference "championship".

I don't see ND having much of an effect on the Big East's football deal. Here's how many Big East teams they play on the road in future schedules (they have the vast majority of their games scheduled for the 2014-17 seasons) that would be part of the Big East's TV deal.
2014: 1 (@ Temple)
2015: 0
2016: 0
2017: 0
2018: 0
2019: 0
2020: 0

No.

Well, some think I'm crazy, but times are changing and modern media including television, radio, the internet etc. all need content.

So, I think you will see that the BE will do very well - far better than most on this board presumed.

As far as football is concerned, I'm not sure there ever were any "glory days" - the BE even with SU, Pitt and the rest was never viewed with much respect by the major college football community.

Again, I am most pleased with the move to the ACC - I have been calling for it since 2003.

And it will be a lot of fun..
The Big East may get $$$ for their new media rights contract, but the league has a huge problem with the bowl system coming up in football. The leadership clearly prefers handling basketball matters and with the 4 team playoff and no more automatic bids a 1-2 loss Big East won't get picked as an large by the BCS bowls, and because the Big East doesn't have an anchor bowl within the BCS they will be screwed bigtime. You can bet 3 SEC, B1G teams will get picked by BCS bowls, the ACC, and B12, P12 will have anchors in the Orange, Fiesta, and Rose Bowls, and the Big East will be left like the MWC and other non-BCS leagues having to meet criteria to get chosen. The Big East will get money for the TV rights but the conference is doomed to top tier Mid-Major status without the automatic BCS bid.

The Big East may get $$$ for their new media rights contract, but the league has a huge problem with the bowl system coming up in football. The leadership clearly prefers handling basketball matters and with the 4 team playoff and no more automatic bids a 1-2 loss Big East won't get picked as an large by the BCS bowls, and because the Big East doesn't have an anchor bowl within the BCS they will be screwed bigtime. You can bet 3 SEC, B1G teams will get picked by BCS bowls, the ACC, and B12, P12 will have anchors in the Orange, Fiesta, and Rose Bowls, and the Big East will be left like the MWC and other non-BCS leagues having to meet criteria to get chosen. The Big East will get money for the TV rights but the conference is doomed to top tier Mid-Major status without the automatic BCS bid.

Maybe.

I stay away from predicting what will happen with the BCS.

Way too many variables.

I think the Big East might do okay under the new structure...they have schools close to warm weather bowls (FL, CA and TX schools) and two well known schools that will travel (Boise and Louisville) and Notre Dame might be forced to hook up with them bowl wise...I'm not saying they'll be better than the Big 5 but they should do ok. It is not out of the realm of possibility they get hooked up with the Orange, Citrus or Jerry Jones Bowls.
i do believe that any conference that has a chance at n.d its the big east or the acc--they would be the biggest fish in the least competitive pond

"In 2011-12, the five non-AQ conferences split $13.2 million with each league receiving $2.64 million. Without the WAC, that amount would increase to at least $3.3 million per team in 2013-14."

Um, the number of teams in FBS hasn't decreased with the WAC being killed, in fact, it's going up. The assumption that per team revenue will go up because number of conferences has decreased is ridiculous.

"In 2011-12, the five non-AQ conferences split $13.2 million with each league receiving $2.64 million. Without the WAC, that amount would increase to at least $3.3 million per team in 2013-14."

Um, the number of teams in FBS hasn't decreased with the WAC being killed, in fact, it's going up. The assumption that per team revenue will go up because number of conferences has decreased is ridiculous.

doesn't this mean each league got 2.64 million going up to 3.3 with the WAC going away.. thats per league not per team?

doesn't this mean each league got 2.64 million going up to 3.3 with the WAC going away.. thats per league not per team?

Upon review, I think he means league in his second sentence rather than team, which would be meaningless since you're talking more revenue with more teams to divide between.

Either there's a typo somewhere, or if it goes from $2.64 million per league to $3.3 million per team, then that's an increase in over an order of magnitude, which would be insane.