OT: cable vs. Direct TV or DISH | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: cable vs. Direct TV or DISH

TW is beyond bad, their channel selection is fine but the mystery bills are frustrating, mine went from 130 to 180 in one month, no reason given, wait times to speak to anyone are longer and longer, then you get someone that can't help you. Wish I could get FIOS.

Ha, cruised by your camps this summer, beautiful area. Anyway, I have had all three services. How TW is still in business I have no idea! I currently have Directv and love it. Only blacks out in torrential rains or snow build up, and not for very long. Hint, mount your dish in a spot that is reachable, to clear off sticky snow. But I digress, Directv is VERY good for sports. Get the package that includes MSG+ , it will have everything you need for football and basketball. You also get locals which carry a ton of sports. I haven't missed an SU Bball game with directv. Also, you can upgrade to regional sports packages if something unique is needed. My two cents

LOL.. sometimes I wish we had ground level dishes mounted on a stack. When it snows I am usually hanging out one of the second story windows with a "Webster"..one of those extendable things for cleaning cobwebs.. knocking the heck out of the dishes to get the snow off. And as far as the sports package looking at the channels that carried the Tulane game it was on many more channels than just MSG+. Pretty impressive if that continues to be the case.

directv and this Saturday they are upgrading everthing for free...getting the genie.

had it for about 5 years and it's cheaper than time warner
yeah, geez it's become a no brainer reading all this here. Just called to cancel the install and called to set up with Direct tv. It was a breeze and ridiculously cheap (assuming it all works when they set it up). Just $43/month for 12 months and then $72/month after that I think she said which is way cheaper than TWC. Forgot to ask if that $72/month is what it will be going forward or if it goes up after the 24 month agreement you have to agree to. For now at least it appears they provide way more for way less, but, as usual, we'll see if those numbers are accurate once the bill comes in.
Includes the Sunday Ticket, something called Red Zone acess, and 4 movie channels for 3 months in addition to the local stations and the 150 channels.

yeah, geez it's become a no brainer reading all this here. Just called to cancel the install and called to set up with Direct tv. It was a breeze and ridiculously cheap (assuming it all works when they set it up). Just $43/month for 12 months and then $72/month after that I think she said which is way cheaper than TWC. Forgot to ask if that $72/month is what it will be going forward or if it goes up after the 24 month agreement you have to agree to. For now at least it appears they provide way more for way less, but, as usual, we'll see if those numbers are accurate once the bill comes in.
Includes the Sunday Ticket, something called Red Zone acess, and 4 movie channels for 3 months in addition to the local stations and the 150 channels.

You got a great deal! Remember, if you can help it, don't install the dish too high...especially if you plan to be there during winter. Sticky snow can be an issue, and where you are, you will get some sticky snow. Also, a month before your contract is due, call them and ask for any deals to keep you. If you threaten to cancel, they will sweeten things. See you at the tailgate!

renegotiated a monthly figure with tw last month for 80 bucks- got this months bill-its 125

going a different route asap

For me its a no brainer to stay with TW.

I get where people are coming from when they always answer every TW complaint with "DirectTV" or "FIOS" Here's the problem and the reason I have stuck with TW even they suck mooseballs from a price and service standpoint.

If you live in CNY, there are 4 pieces of programming that you just don't get if you switch. They are:

1. Section 3 and NYS HS basketball playoffs
2. Section 3 and NYS HS football playoffs
3. SU lax games not on national tv
4. Crunch playoffs.

Now, I know the Crunch one is a stretch but I did enjoy the Calder cup this year. And, maybe I enjoy the HS sports cuz I'm a Red Ram and we dominate every sport in Section 3.

Oh, and I really enjoyed the SU canadian tour a couple months ago. Bottom line, for me, those 4 programming items above keep me from ever switching over.

Just dropped directv for dish, so i can give a recent comparison.

First off, people say dish hates sports. Aside from their threat to drop espn any day now (no big deal, right...) I have no issue with their sports coverage. For me, they have the sports pack, which lets me see out of market college games, they have redzone. Directv has redzone too, of course, but you need to pay a small fortune for the full nfl package, or call and beg to the right rep to get it without the full nfl package.

Biggest plus for dish to me was that sling was included for free in my cable box. Now I can watch any channel from my subscription, anywhere in the world when i have an Internet connection. And I can watch anything on my dvr as well. It works great, and I love it. Combined it with unlimited data on my cell phone, and I was riding in a car on the mass pike Sunday afternoon watching redzone.

Otherwise, the 2 services are pretty similar.

Overall, as long as dish settles with espn- and I'd bet they will- I would say I prefer dish. The sports for me are equal, the sling option just takes dish to another level.

I've had all three at some point in my life and can't recommend directv more.
Granted I'm in a snowless state so can't speak to snowstorm outages, but the interface & service of directv far outweigh the other two and it's not close.

LOL.. sometimes I wish we had ground level dishes mounted on a stack. When it snows I am usually hanging out one of the second story windows with a "Webster"..one of those extendable things for cleaning cobwebs.. knocking the heck out of the dishes to get the snow off. And as far as the sports package looking at the channels that carried the Tulane game it was on many more channels than just MSG+. Pretty impressive if that continues to be the case.

Can't you just build a frame around the dish to keep the snow off of it?

This thread was an omen, I got home last night and the Cable was out and my TW box is getting no signal. So a night of no cable and internet was had by me and the fiance last night. In full disclosure I dont think the issue is TW's as national grid was doing some stuff yesterday morning and I think they may have hit the cable wire or something. I did have to bit the bullet and call TW yesterday but I was only on hold like 5 minutes and the guy I spoke with was easy going and sending someone this afternoon. Still going to give Direct TV and Fios a hard look soon, prices sound much better.

Be careful. Those movie channels are going to jack up the price once they incentives run out. Don't forget to cancel them when the time comes.

This thread was an omen, I got home last night and the Cable was out and my TW box is getting no signal. So a night of no cable and internet was had by me and the fiance last night. In full disclosure I dont think the issue is TW's as national grid was doing some stuff yesterday morning and I think they may have hit the cable wire or something. I did have to bit the bullet and call TW yesterday but I was only on hold like 5 minutes and the guy I spoke with was easy going and sending someone this afternoon. Still going to give Direct TV and Fios a hard look soon, prices sound much better.
Cuseregular said:

If you live in CNY, there are 3 pieces of programming that you just don't get if you switch. They are:

If you live in CNY, there are 3 pieces of programming that you just don't get if you switch. They are:

The lax games are a deal breaker for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom