OT: Charlie Strong | Syracusefan.com

OT: Charlie Strong

jekelish

Living Legend
Not sure if you guys saw this, but supposedly word has leaked on a meeting Charlie Strong had with his team after getting to UT recently, where he delivered one hell of an ultimatum, which consists of the following (and through which he lives up to his name of Strong...and which makes me think Shafer probably lays down the law similarly, based on his personality...still, I love this sort of attitude from a coach):

1. Players will attend all of their classes and sit in the front two rows of all of their classes. GAs, academic folks, position coaches will be checking constantly now.
  2. No headphones in class. No texting in class. Sit up and take notes.
  3. If a player misses a class, he runs until it hurts. If he misses two classes, his entire position unit runs. If he misses three, the position coach runs. The position coaches don't want to run.
  4. No earrings in the football building. No drugs. No stealing. No guns. Treat women with respect.
  5. Players may not live off campus anymore, unless they're a senior who hits certain academic standards. The University will buy out the leases for every player currently living off campus and put them in the athletic dorm.
  6. The team will all live together, eat together, suffer together, and hang out together. They will become a true team and learn to impose accountability on each other. The cliques are over.
  7. There's no time for a rebuild. "I don't have time for that." The expectation is that Texas wins now.
  8. Players will learn that they would rather practice than milk a minor injury.
  9. The focus is on winning and graduating. Anything extraneous to that is a distraction and will be stamped out or removed.
  10. Strong met individually with seniors and key leaders and re-emphasized that the plan is to win now. They can lead the new culture or be run over by it.
  11. "I don't want to talk about things. I'd rather do things. We just talked. Now it's time to do."

jekelish said:
Not sure if you guys saw this, but supposedly word has leaked on a meeting Charlie Strong had with his team after getting to UT recently, where he delivered one hell of an ultimatum, which consists of the following (and through which he lives up to his name of Strong...and which makes me think Shafer probably lays down the law similarly, based on his personality...still, I love this sort of attitude from a coach): [*]Players will attend all of their classes and sit in the front two rows of all of their classes. GAs, academic folks, position coaches will be checking constantly now. [*]No headphones in class. No texting in class. Sit up and take notes. [*]If a player misses a class, he runs until it hurts. If he misses two classes, his entire position unit runs. If he misses three, the position coach runs. The position coaches don't want to run. [*]No earrings in the football building. No drugs. No stealing. No guns. Treat women with respect. [*]Players may not live off campus anymore, unless they're a senior who hits certain academic standards. The University will buy out the leases for every player currently living off campus and put them in the athletic dorm. [*]The team will all live together, eat together, suffer together, and hang out together. They will become a true team and learn to impose accountability on each other. The cliques are over. [*]There's no time for a rebuild. "I don't have time for that." The expectation is that Texas wins now. [*]Players will learn that they would rather practice than milk a minor injury. [*]The focus is on winning and graduating. Anything extraneous to that is a distraction and will be stamped out or removed. [*]Strong met individually with seniors and key leaders and re-emphasized that the plan is to win now. They can lead the new culture or be run over by it. [*]"I don't want to talk about things. I'd rather do things. We just talked. Now it's time to do."

I actually respect Strong for doing this. UT needs some discipline on and off the football field. Kudos to him.

Are they allowed by NCAA rules to buy out players' leases?

jesus

I'm inspired.

Lets get on the field!

Texas is going to become a powerhouse once again.

I can't imagine what a position coach would do to a player/unit if they are forced to run due to a player missing 3 classes.

Are they allowed by NCAA rules to buy out players' leases?
I just assume it's part of the scholarship - scholarships cover room and board, after all. So I figured it would fall under that umbrella. They pay that out and, theoretically, they would be getting "back" the cost for on campus housing. But who knows?

I just assume it's part of the scholarship - scholarships cover room and board, after all. So I figured it would fall under that umbrella. They pay that out and, theoretically, they would be getting "back" the cost for on campus housing. But who knows?
I'm not so sure. Sounds kind of iffy to me. If a kid receives an allotment for an off campus apartment, then you buy it out, then you put him up in an on campus apartment, you have essentially paid twice. Not saying the ncaa would penalize them. But on the surface, to me at least, it looks like something that would be a minor violation.

He must have stolen this off the Rutger's football office bulletin board:

1. Players will attend all of their classes and sit in the front two rows of all of their classes. GAs, academic folks, position coaches will be checking constantly now.
  3. If a player misses a class, he runs until it hurts. If he misses two classes, his entire position unit runs. If he misses three, the position coach runs. The position coaches don't want to run.
  4. No earrings in the football building. No drugs. No stealing. No guns. Treat women with respect.
  5. Players may not live off campus anymore, unless they're a senior who hits certain academic standards. The University will buy out the leases for every player currently living off campus and put them in the athletic dorm.
  6. The team will all live together, eat together, suffer together, and hang out together. They will become a true team and learn to impose accountability on each other. The cliques are over.
  7. There's no time for a rebuild. "I don't have time for that." The expectation is that Texas wins now.
  9. The focus is on winning and graduating. Anything extraneous to that is a distraction and will be stamped out or removed.
  10. Strong met individually with seniors and key leaders and re-emphasized that the plan is to win now. They can lead the new culture or be run over by it.
  11. "I don't want to talk about things. I'd rather do things. We just talked. Now it's time to do."

Not sure if you guys saw this, but supposedly word has leaked on a meeting Charlie Strong had with his team after getting to UT recently,
I don't trust that the "leak" was organic (yet so pointed and articulate re: the main points) but it's still great.

He must have stolen this off the Rutger's football office bulletin board:

huh?

huh?

joke, son.jpg

Not sure if you guys saw this, but supposedly word has leaked on a meeting Charlie Strong had with his team after getting to UT recently, where he delivered one hell of an ultimatum, which consists of the following (and through which he lives up to his name of Strong...and which makes me think Shafer probably lays down the law similarly, based on his personality...still, I love this sort of attitude from a coach):

I have friends that think they know football (I think they're clueless) that are sure Strong will fall flat on his face at Texas. Claim he didn't do anything at Louisville to prove he deserved the Texas job. Nevermind that one is a Kentucky fan and the other a UT fan who's coach was previously in the same conference as strong with less success. This set of guidelines is one reason why they are dead wrong. I will take some satisfaction in Strong smacking around the SEC a little when he gets Texas going full steam.

Texas + Charlie Strong should be illegal. That guy is going to create a monster down there.

I have friends that think they know football (I think they're clueless) that are sure Strong will fall flat on his face at Texas. Claim he didn't do anything at Louisville to prove he deserved the Texas job. Nevermind that one is a Kentucky fan and the other a UT fan who's coach was previously in the same conference as strong with less success. This set of guidelines is one reason why they are dead wrong. I will take some satisfaction in Strong smacking around the SEC a little when he gets Texas going full steam.

They were I think 23-3 the last two years. I don't care who you are, that's great. #1 ranked total defense, top 30 offense, 4th best combined ranking this year.

They were I think 23-3 the last two years. I don't care who you are, that's great. #1 ranked total defense, top 30 offense, 4th best combined ranking this year.
Yeah. I presented them with Louisville's record preceding him and their record with him. I also pointed out to the Tennessee fan (that claimed all his success was in a crap conference and wouldn't understand the pressure at Texas) that he had been a long time d-coordinator in the SEC, beaten an 11-1 SEC team, and Tennessee's current head coach had come from the same "crap conference" with less success, yet he was hailed as a hero. I received no response. People that say crap just to say it without knowing anything, annoy me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom