OT: Classic pitcher's duel at Citi Field | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Classic pitcher's duel at Citi Field

Strasburg is incredible. The year he came up, he was probably the best (or at least the most effective) pitcher in baseball. a 2.91 ERA and 5.5 K's per walk. As a 21 year old! A pre injury Strasburg really did have a chance to be one of the all time great pitchers (and I would hate to put that on anyone). And so far, the post injury Strasburg doesn't seem like he has given much up.
Strasburg was pretty amazing as a rookie and looks like he still can be dominating if he can remain healthy. But I'll withhold judgment on putting him into the potential all-time great category until I see quite a bit more. There have been many comparable pitching phenoms over the years, he's just the most recent flavor.

Strasburg was pretty amazing as a rookie and looks like he still can be dominating if he can remain healthy. But I'll withhold judgment on putting him into the potential all-time great category until I see quite a bit more. There have been many comparable pitching phenoms over the years, he's just the most recent flavor.

I know, which is why I said I would hate to put that on the kid. 10 years ago Rick Ankiel was the next big thing, 13 years ago it was Kerry Wood, 7 years ago it was Mark Prior. There are a hell of a lot more should have been HOF pitchers than actual HOF pittchers.

I know, which is why I said I would hate to put that on the kid. 10 years ago Rick Ankiel was the next big thing, 13 years ago it was Kerry Wood, 7 years ago it was Mark Prior. There are a hell of a lot more should have been HOF pitchers than actual HOF pittchers.

Oh, I saw what you wrote. My point is that there is so much that can derail a career. For every phenom like a Bob Feller or Tom Seaver that actually realizes his potential and reaches Cooperstown, there are phenoms like the ones you mention above who wind up with very modest careers. And then there are the guys like Herb Score and Doc Gooden who shoot to the top and then are struck down by fate (Score) or something self-inflicted (Gooden).

You just never know where the next great pitcher will come from. Look at the career arc of Sandy Koufax; he struggled with his control for years before the lightbulb went on, then dominated like few pitchers ever have. That's the beauty of the game.