OT: Commercial about texting... | Syracusefan.com

OT: Commercial about texting...

Great idea to run that commercial about the dangers of texting given that plenty of young folks watch the games. I gotta tell ya that is an epidemic in this country and just as dangerous as drunk driving.

A few years ago, five young high school girls were killed in a fiery head on crash with a semi here in Rochester (Bloomfield). The driver was sending a text at the time and it was a very, very sad time that shook Rochester pretty hard. I drive by the site often on my way to my son's house and every time I can't help but think about those girls.

That's a very good message. It shoul go beyond texting though. Cell phone use in general is dangerous.

However the ad w the marine, the marine looks like a mannequin. Not sure if those are "true" stories

Those ads remind me of the drunk driving ads from a few years ago that used home videos of the victims. I used to dread when a commercial started and it was a home video because I knew what was coming. Quite an impact. I hope they work.

If you are skilled enough, you can totally text and drive. It requires proper technique, speed, hand eye coordination, peripheral vision..and manual dexterity. But it can totally be done safely by , I'd say, about 5 percent of the population.

If you are skilled enough, you can totally text and drive. It requires proper technique, speed, hand eye coordination, peripheral vision..and manual dexterity. But it can totally be done safely by , I'd say, about 5 percent of the population.

And that five percent is hoping the other drivers aren't texting.

I tried once, a long time ago. I'm not one of those 5 percent. My phone stays in my pocket while I'm driving

That's the entire point. It is a very, very dangerous thing to do and the vast majority of people cannot safely attempt to do it. BUT..it can be done safely . This is not true of drunk driving.

That's the entire point. It is a very, very dangerous thing to do and the vast majority of people cannot safely attempt to do it. BUT..it can be done safely . This is not true of drunk driving.

Are you one of the 5 percent?

Are you one of the 5 percent?

Dont think so..but in my mid 20's I probably would say I would have been..had texting been around at that time. My reaction time and hand/eye are not what they once were.

The problem is that a hell of a lot more than 5% of the population thinks they are one of the chosen few

I'm 26, and get super uncomfortable when my friends text and drive, and will always call them out on it... I'm all about doing crazy , I've jumped off bridges, waterfalls, done 198 on a motorcycle, but text and driving is my limit lol

Great idea to run that commercial about the dangers of texting given that plenty of young folks watch the games. I gotta tell ya that is an epidemic in this country and just as dangerous as drunk driving.

Well said - agree 100%. Texting while driving is basically one of the most selfish things a person can do. You're putting everyone around you at danger.

No, it can't be done safely. If you are reading something in your lap, you're not watching the road. If you're not watching the road, you're not driving safely. I don't care how fast you think you can do it.

But honestly, what's the point? 99% of texts are mundane and unnecessary chit-chat - if it's truly urgent or an emergency (or if you're Tom Crean and have to contact your mistress), just pullover.

I put my phone on flight mode while I'm driving.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Dont think so..but in my mid 20's I probably would say I would have been..had texting been around at that time. My reaction time and hand/eye are not what they once were.
5491405127_f6639fdb80_z.jpg

No, it can't be done safely. If you are reading something in your lap, you're not watching the road. If you're not watching the road, you're not driving safely. I don't care how fast you think you can do it.

Prior to smart phones you could easily text w/out ever looking in ur lap. Not sure if anyone can now - I guess voice text, but that seems to get every other word wrong.

you hold the phone up in in front of the windshield you dont block your vision of the road. you text out of your peripheral vision.basically like blind typing.

But, different people have different tolerances re: alcohol. 2 drinks can impair one person to the same extent that it takes 5 drinks to do to another.

Not making a pitch to drink and drive.

But, anything that distracts a driver is a bad thing. In fact, the latest research suggests that no one can truly "multi task".

All people are not the same. To suggest no one can multitask is like saying no one can dunk if you grew up in a world of hobbits who played on a ten foot rim.

All people are not the same. To suggest no one can multitask is like saying no one can dunk if you grew up in a world of hobbits who played on a ten foot rim.
Just telling you what the latest research is showing. You know--the Scientific Method.

Funny you say that. I'm sorry to say that back in the day (not recently) I drove numerous times where I didn't know if I was on foot or on horseback. How I got from point A to point B I'll never know. And never had a DWI or an accident. And I am sure there are others here who could say the same thing. So technically it can be done safely although I'd be the first to say it's a really dumb thing to try. But the difference btw texting and drunk driving is that with the latter you still keep your eyes on the road (u may not see well but that's another story) but with texting you have to take your eyes off the road to read the text. Big difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom