OT - Congrats to Andy Murray for finally winning his first major title! | Syracusefan.com

OT - Congrats to Andy Murray for finally winning his first major title!

Deano

All American
For all you tennis fans like me, this was a great match and you knew Djokovic wasn't going to go down without a fight. 5 hours later and Murray wins one the best finals match I have seen in a while. Then you have Serena's great come from behind yesterday too.

For all you tennis fans like me, this was a great match and you knew Djokovic wasn't going to go down without a fight. 5 hours later and Murray wins one the best finals match I have seen in a while. Then you have Serena's great come from behind yesterday too.
Murray is a spoiled-brat punk. Djokovic was so much more gracious in his remarks -- and English is not his first language. Murray essentially stood there during the awards ceremony, smirking and scratching himself. And he never asked Djokovic to join him in a photo -- the way Serena did yesterday with her opponent after she won. The better tennis player may have won today, but the better man didn't.

I am afraid the American media have gotten caught up in all the English hype about one of "their own" finally winning a major. Even though he is from Scotland.

I haven't enjoyed a full year of tennis this much since probably 1999. That year we had Andre's comeback, Steffi's French and Wimbledon performances, Lindsay knocking off Steffi, a great Pilot Pen in New Haven where I got to see every single session for the week, and Serena's breakthrough at the Open.

This year might be one of the greatest in tennis history. Emergence of the Big 4 on the men's side with Del Potro and Berdych making things interesting.

And for the women, an emergence of a pretty clear big 3 with Azarenka, Maria and Serena. Incredibly impressed with Azarenka's game. The litany of undeserving #1 ranked women appears to be over.

And perhaps most important, young American men and women to be excited about.

I just wish that ESPN would get full broadcast rights to all the slams. Their Wimbledon coverage put NBC's to shame. CBS proving once again that it doesn't deserve nice things. And the Tennis Channel. The fool at the USTA that allows high profile matches to be broadcast on the tennis channel deserves a public flogging.

If the USTA wants to grow tennis in this country it needs to put its signature event on one channel and on a network that has proven time and again that it will do an amazing job with its prestige products. And given the quality of tennis advertisers and Open sponsors, the Open qualifies as a prestige property.

Aside from my mini rant, this is an exciting time to be a tennis fan.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Andy Murray donated $200,000 to the Bronx home project while he was visiting in New York. Sure, maybe he didn't take a picture with Joke..but I think he's a pretty good guy, happy for him.

Tennis is the best sport in the world right now based solely on the quality of the competition that is taking place.

Last nights 5 hour marathon which culminated in Murry jumping off the Lebron James level of needing to win a championship is a great example of why its so good.

not sure why, but Murray just really bugs me. but I can admit he's a helluva player. love the Djoker and his game.

not sure why, but Murray just really bugs me. but I can admit he's a helluva player. love the Djoker and his game.

A lot of the stuff he does on the court bugs me as well.

A lot of the stuff he does on the court bugs me as well.
He used to be a lot worse till he finally got some decent coaching. The best hire was Lendl, he's really improved his game. Andy was never one of the fittest person out there but that sure has changed. His match against Roger F. at Wimbeldon was a good one too. Those are probably my two fav's to watch right now so it was hard to pull for one or the other, but it was nice to see Andy win the Gold at the Olympics.

Murray is a spoiled-brat punk. Djokovic was so much more gracious in his remarks -- and English is not his first language. Murray essentially stood there during the awards ceremony, smirking and scratching himself. And he never asked Djokovic to join him in a photo -- the way Serena did yesterday with her opponent after she won. The better tennis player may have won today, but the better man didn't.

I am afraid the American media have gotten caught up in all the English hype about one of "their own" finally winning a major. Even though he is from Scotland.
I don't know if you can say that about Murray. It sure sounds like he and Djokovic are pretty good friends. I found this on ESPN:

Murray and Djokovic were born a week apart in May 1987, and they've known, and competed against, each other since they were about 11. Before Saturday's semifinals in New York, they shared a computer and sat together to watch online as Murray's Scotland and Djokovic's Serbia played to a 0-0 draw in a qualifying match for soccer's World Cup.

Until the US puts another dominate tennis player out there I was done with men's tennis after Sampras. I did watch the Serena match though, great match.

Never heard anything but good things about Murray and his generosity, strange

Until the US puts another dominate tennis player out there I was done with men's tennis after Sampras. I did watch the Serena match though, great match.

I also am more of a casual fan now that there are no top Americans. I grew up with Agassi, Sampras, Courier, Chang...heck I thought Todd Martin was a bum, but he made grand slam finals. I played in high school and college at the same time that those guys were ruling the ATP tour and court time was hard to get. There were tons of local tournaments in central NY. In the Utica area Bill Shaughnessy held tournaments every weekend and promoted them among the local high schools. He was a huge embassador of the game in the Utica area. Sorry for the rant, but it was a special time for the sport and I would love to see it again, I think it is overdue.

It's funny you guys say you don't follow the mens game as much because there aren't any great american players; I obviously have no problem with you guys feeling that way but I've never considered it for a second. I was born in 84, so I do remember when Agassi and Sampras were the big names in the sport, but for me, I can't imagine enjoying it any more if Federer (or take your pick, Federer is my guy) was American instead of Swiss.

To me, this really is a golden age of Men's tennis. The best players in the world are unbelievable and almost always play incredible matches when they meet up in the late rounds at the slams.

It's funny you guys say you don't follow the mens game as much because there aren't any great american players; I obviously have no problem with you guys feeling that way but I've never considered it for a second. I was born in 84, so I do remember when Agassi and Sampras were the big names in the sport, but for me, I can't imagine enjoying it any more if Federer (or take your pick, Federer is my guy) was American instead of Swiss.

To me, this really is a golden age of Men's tennis. The best players in the world are unbelievable and almost always play incredible matches when they meet up in the late rounds at the slams.
I still watch as much of the Grand Slams as I can, but I enjoy it so much more when Americans are playing and playing well. There was a time when the young guns like Sampras, Agassi, Chang and Courier among others were coming up and Conners and McEnroe were still playing. Connors, I remember how ancient I thought he was, was making noise in the 1991 US Open at the age of 39 (I am now 41 and understand how difficult his run must have been).

I was never a Sampras fan, I guess that's cause I was an Agassi fan and enjoyed their matches although Pete normally got the best of Andre.

I enjoy watching Mardy Fish but not sure if he's going to come back from this latest health issue (still haven't heard exactly what was wrong with him and why he pulled out of US Open).

I thought both the men's and ladies finals were great matches.I am not a Serena fan, but I had to admire her courage in winning the last four games in a row. In the men's it sure looked like Murray was done after set 4, but he somehow showed the heart and courage to get it done. I will be shocked if he does not end up a multiple Grand Slam champion when all is said and done.

Others have alluded to the glory age of American tennis, especially men. I do not understand how it is possible that our country can't produce a championship caliber player - men's or women's not named Serena in recent years.

Andy Roddick just retired. I do not want to disparage anybody who is no longer playing, but I must say that I found his career to be very disappointing. I know he had to compete against Federer and Nadal, but still, you would have thought he should have broken through more than once. Somehow, to me, he never seemed to show the moxie on the court that the top players have and that Murray showed in Set #5, seems like every time the going got tough he never came through.

I thought both the men's and ladies finals were great matches.I am not a Serena fan, but I had to admire her courage in winning the last four games in a row. In the men's it sure looked like Murray was done after set 4, but he somehow showed the heart and courage to get it done. I will be shocked if he does not end up a multiple Grand Slam champion when all is said and done.

Others have alluded to the glory age of American tennis, especially men. I do not understand how it is possible that our country can't produce a championship caliber player - men's or women's not named Serena in recent years.

Andy Roddick just retired. I do not want to disparage anybody who is no longer playing, but I must say that I found his career to be very disappointing. I know he had to compete against Federer and Nadal, but still, you would have thought he should have broken through more than once. Somehow, to me, he never seemed to show the moxie on the court that the top players have and that Murray showed in Set #5, seems like every time the going got tough he never came through.
I agree on Roddick, he just wasn't up to the task of challenging Federer or Nadal. He was a good to great player, but not top tier. He accomplished alot, but they didn't stack up to Sampras or Agassi or even Courier. They do stack up to Michael Chang, who was argueably the fourth best American at that time.

You guys are probably right about Roddick, but it's also worth stressing how good the competition was. Federer is (IMO) the greatest player of all time, and Rafa can't be much worse than around #5, no? Clearly either the best or second best clay court player of all time.

You guys are probably right about Roddick, but it's also worth stressing how good the competition was. Federer is (IMO) the greatest player of all time, and Rafa can't be much worse than around #5, no? Clearly either the best or second best clay court player of all time.
Andy had the best serve in tennis. When you have that weapon it should carry you through to an upset at least once in awhile regardless of the competition. As good as Raf & Fed are, they do lose sometimes to lesser players. Why did it seem like it was never to Andy ????

Andy had the best serve in tennis. When you have that weapon it should carry you through to an upset at least once in awhile regardless of the competition. As good as Raf & Fed are, they do lose sometimes to lesser players. Why did it seem like it was never to Andy ????
Agree about his serve and he should have modled his game after Sampras with the serve and volley. I just never understand that about him. He was more inclined to stay at the base line and hit ball after ball instead - smh.

I agree on Roddick, he just wasn't up to the task of challenging Federer or Nadal. He was a good to great player, but not top tier. He accomplished alot, but they didn't stack up to Sampras or Agassi or even Courier. They do stack up to Michael Chang, who was argueably the fourth best American at that time.

I'd put Andy a step or two ahead of Chang.

He would have likely won another US Open and one Wimbledon, but for Roger Federer. His 09 Wimbledon final was one of the most underrated matches of all time, and is at least in the conversation of the top Wimbledon finals ever. Anyone else but Roger would have lost to him that day relatively easily.

I don't think Andy's career was a disappointment. Really there was nothing particularly special about his game aside from his serve. He really overachieved as far as making a bunch of slam finals, wining US Open series and Masters series events and getting his Open championship. If he were a couple years older he probably could have won some more majors in the transition years from Sampras dominating to Federer.

I'm pretty high on Ryan Harrison and Jack Sock. They seem to have more substance to their games than the Fish, Blake, Isner group. Though, to their credit, all were in the top 10 at one point but I never thought any could seriously threaten for a slam. Isner has a couple more years, but nothing about his game makes me think he will ever be able to break through.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom