OT - Congrats to Andy Murray for finally winning his first major title! | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT - Congrats to Andy Murray for finally winning his first major title!

Agassi/Sampras the golden age of American men's tennis?
ha!
McEnroe and Connors would beg to differ.

(for my money, McEnroe was the best to ever play - regardless of how many titles he did or didn't win)

Agassi/Sampras the golden age of American men's tennis?
ha!
McEnroe and Connors would beg to differ.

(for my money, McEnroe was the best to ever play - regardless of how many titles he did or didn't win)

As far as being cross over superstars agassi and sampras can't touch Jimmy and John. But I think Pete and Andre are the two best American tennis players of all time. It's too bad that both Andre and John had some burnout issues at points in their careers though.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

As far as being cross over superstars agassi and sampras can't touch Jimmy and John. But I think Pete and Andre are the two best American tennis players of all time. It's too bad that both Andre and John had some burnout issues at points in their careers though.

Right on, it's probably just a style thing for me. McEnroe's game was just gorgeous (in my opinion, at least)

Right on, it's probably just a style thing for me. McEnroe's game was just gorgeous (in my opinion, at least)

Can't argue with that. I wish I were old enough to really have been able to appreciate McEnroe at his peak. I was really lucky to see him and Lendl play in New Haven in the early 90's. John played a very young Ivanisevic. My first tennis memory was Becker winning his first Wimbledon when I was 7.

I loved Courrier's game when I was first really starting to play and go to camps and stuff. I always wanted to beat the #### out of the ball like he did.

Can't argue with that. I wish I were old enough to really have been able to appreciate McEnroe at his peak. I was really lucky to see him and Lendl play in New Haven in the early 90's. John played a very young Ivanisevic. My first tennis memory was Becker winning his first Wimbledon when I was 7.

I loved Courrier's game when I was first really starting to play and go to camps and stuff. I always wanted to beat the #### out of the ball like he did.
Cool that you got to see Mac play, even if it was past his prime.
Actually, I will slightly amend my earlier statement by saying that I acknowledge Sampras is the best ever but McEnroe is my fav.

For my money Andre is one of the top 2 or 3 most talented players to ever play the game. He could do things with a ball that no one else can could. Unfortunately for him he did not love the game the way some of the other great players did and as a consequence of that did not have the mental toughness that a Sampras or Federer did and it cost him a lot of slams.

That is also what made him more likeable to me. He was a guy that despite being worth millions was dealing with a lot of the day to day struggles that us normal joe's go through. Down to earth is a way over used term but it describes him to a tee.

Wanted to add that as much as I love tennis what is most missing in this generation of men's tennis is a villain. All of the guys at the top are by all accounts class acts and it is hard to hate any of them. Fans need some to actively root against.

For my money Andre is one of the top 2 or 3 most talented players to ever play the game. He could do things with a ball that no one else can could. Unfortunately for him he did not love the game the way some of the other great players did and as a consequence of that did not have the mental toughness that a Sampras or Federer did and it cost him a lot of slams.

That is also what made him more likeable to me. He was a guy that despite being worth millions was dealing with a lot of the day to day struggles that us normal joe's go through. Down to earth is a way over used term but it describes him to a tee.

I agree with you on some points, but a lot of it was when he was a lot younger and when he was a Rebel (loved those commericals he did back then). Once Brad Gilbert got a hold of him is when his game started to climb. It was amazing what he did in his 30's. Just think if he had the same coach and approach when he was in his 20's. It's too bad he ran into the back problems or he could played a few more years. Do got to give props to Darren Cahill too taking over coaching him after he and Brad split too.

Wanted to add that as much as I love tennis what is most missing in this generation of men's tennis is a villain. All of the guys at the top are by all accounts class acts and it is hard to hate any of them. Fans need some to actively root against.

Martina Hingis and the Williams sisters (especially Serena, Venus grew out of her drama phase a long time ago) made excellent villains. I've always liked Serena, but sometimes she made it difficult to defend her (the foot fault especially). Iva Majoli was my hero for stopping Martina at the French.

Novak seems to occasionally head down that road, but then he does something awesome. To that end, I was surprised to see how offended Nadal was over Novak making fun of him by picking at his butt like Rafa does when I read "Strokes of Genius."

I agree with you on some points, but a lot of it was when he was a lot younger and when he was a Rebel (loved those commericals he did back then). Once Brad Gilbert got a hold of him is when his game started to climb. It was amazing what he did in his 30's. Just think if he had the same coach and approach when he was in his 20's. It's too bad he ran into the back problems or he could played a few more years. Do got to give props to Darren Cahill too taking over coaching him after he and Brad split too.

Part of his game climbing later in life was him making peace with the game of tennis and learning to love it more. If you have not read his autobiography I highly recommend it. A lot of great insight into the man and his game. He is by far my favorite player of all time and part of the reason I now cheer for Murray is because he reminds me of Andre in a lot of ways.

Martina Hingis and the Williams sisters (especially Serena, Venus grew out of her drama phase a long time ago) made excellent villains. I've always liked Serena, but sometimes she made it difficult to defend her (the foot fault especially). Iva Majoli was my hero for stopping her at the French.

Novak seems to occasionally head down that road, but then he does something awesome. To that end, I was surprised to see how offended Nadal was over Novak making fun of him by picking at his butt like Rafa does when I read "Strokes of Genius."

My problem with Serena is she never gives her opponent credit. She always blames the loss on something she did. I am not expecting her to have the grace or class in losing that Federer does but would it kill her to occasionally say that her opponent was simply too good on a given day?

My problem with Serena is she never gives her opponent credit. She always blames the loss on something she did. I am not expecting her to have the grace or class in losing that Federer does but would it kill her to occasionally say that her opponent was simply too good on a given day?
I agree, some humility on Serena's part would be a welcome change, but let's face it, Serena at her best beats any other woman's best...ever.

Wasn't agassi on the juice?? Don't like murray at all, his on court demeanor rubs me the wrong way. And He just won his first slam, would it kill him to smile?

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

I agree, some humility on Serena's part would be a welcome change, but let's face it, Serena at her best beats any other woman's best...ever.

I don't agree with that. I would say she is equal to but not greater than Steffi.

Wasn't agassi on the juice?? Don't like murray at all, his on court demeanor rubs me the wrong way. And He just won his first slam, would it kill him to smile?

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

No steroids that I am aware of. The hubbub over drugs was a failed drug test and his admitted use of crystal meth.

For all the people down on Murray and his lack of smiling you guys realize he is Scottish right? They are fairly well known for having a dour personality. Much like upstate NY'ers.

I don't agree with that. I would say she is equal to but not greater than Steffi.
I just think that as all sports evolve, tennis has evolved. Serena has won Slams at not even close to her best. She is a physical freak with the best serve in the history of women's tennis. Steffi was awesome, and it would be interesting how she would stack up to the women of today, given the same training, equipment and competition, but I think Serena would win 7 out of 10. Just my opinion.

I can't agree with that more.

Part of his game climbing later in life was him making peace with the game of tennis and learning to love it more. If you have not read his autobiography I highly recommend it. A lot of great insight into the man and his game. He is by far my favorite player of all time and part of the reason I now cheer for Murray is because he reminds me of Andre in a lot of ways.
I'm in agreement with you. Like others I loved McEnroe growing up. Really like Murray now because he's getting it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom